• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League set to expand

There's the other problem though, being as both codes of rugby are all put under the same banner of "rugby" by TV companies who only see it as "not-football" - BBC being the prime example.

When there's Super League/Guinness Premiership/Challenge Cup/EDF Cup/International Union/International League all vying under that same banner as "rugby" against tennis, cricket, athletics and motor sport for the "not-football" slots (which are few and far between I may add), it's hard work for any of them to get exposure.

Sky do a good job of showing 3-4 union and league matches each per week, but they're always competing on the lower sports channels against poofball or late on a Friday when people are out on the town. Unless a system where mid-week evening games can be realistically applicable, neither code will ever get the proper coverage and exposure it needs or deserves.

Then surely they should do a rugby+ channel on sku much similar to Premiership+ for football!

There isn't a Premplus any more; The 40 games that made up that package are now on Setantas books.

So instead of £40 per season for them, it's now £15 per month, or £135-150 a season.

Which of course is fair, according to the European parliament.

It would be imperative to strike a balance.

I am banking on the sport getting a renaissance similar to football did with the football league TV deal.

It did, but let's say Setanta got the rights for Super League 2, or whatever it would be called.

They know what they're doing and are well established.

Yeah, but being a PPV company their revenue depends on ratings. With all due respect, a lot of the teams who would compete in a Super League "2" simply wouldn't be a big enough draw for a PPV market. Much the same as ND1 Union or Conference/Irish league football wouldn't sell.

the idea is great and it'd be awesome if it came true, but modern economics would kill the idea before it got off the ground. :(

Personally i'd like to see Salford, Widnes and Leigh come in this time, evening up the numbers of Lancs/Yorks teams and in 2012 bring in Celtic and a Cumbrian team.

I feel if the RL get in wrong in Celtic, you can kiss goodbye to professional League in Wales, history will repeat itself. I think in 3 yrs time Celtic wil be ready.

Jeff

Leigh - now there's one from the left field! Which Super League team would you axe?

Personally i'd like to see Salford, Widnes and Leigh come in this time, evening up the numbers of Lancs/Yorks teams and in 2012 bring in Celtic and a Cumbrian team.

I feel if the RL get in wrong in Celtic, you can kiss goodbye to professional League in Wales, history will repeat itself. I think in 3 yrs time Celtic wil be ready.

Jeff

[/b]

Must disagree with that, the squad is there and can compete with the lower end sides in the Super League without a doubt. Iestyn Harris has announced that he would join the Crusaders if they get their licencse! Yes he maybe old but he can still strut his stuff. The coaching set up is now in force and the Crusaders now have a good academy system that will train players up.
The facilities are the only real problem but again this has been addressed! The stadium is not the greatest but there are plans afoot to build a new one possibly in Bridgend or in and around that area.
Rugby League in Wales may seem obscure but many of the universities play it now and I can tell you that it is popular and is played in vast numbers.

To be honest I feel that alot of people feel a tad threatend by the Crusaders for some odd reason. At the end of the day they have thrown themselves towards becoming a Franchise in the Super League and I reckon they will be a good team for the league. The Crusaders are ready now, I still cant quite understand by not being ready? They have already proven themselves to be a good outfit and I firmly believe that they deserve a go over teams like Widnes and Leigh! The Crusaders have the finanical power and when they get their licencse the team will take off and the fans will come to games, Millenium Magic this year had a fair few new fans from Wales, me included in that and I can again tell you that the game is growing in Wales, not much so in North Wales but down South it does look promising!

C'mon the Crusaders!

Leigh - now there's one from the left field! Which Super League team would you axe? [/b]

Cas or Wakey, take your pick :D

Jeff

<div class='quotemain'> Personally i'd like to see Salford, Widnes and Leigh come in this time, evening up the numbers of Lancs/Yorks teams and in 2012 bring in Celtic and a Cumbrian team.

Jeff

[/b]

Must disagree with that, the squad is there and can compete with the lower end sides in the Super League without a doubt. Iestyn Harris has announced that he would join the Crusaders if they get their licencse! Yes he maybe old but he can still strut his stuff. The coaching set up is now in force and the Crusaders now have a good academy system that will train players up.
The facilities are the only real problem but again this has been addressed! The stadium is not the greatest but there are plans afoot to build a new one possibly in Bridgend or in and around that area.
Rugby League in Wales may seem obscure but many of the universities play it now and I can tell you that it is popular and is played in vast numbers.

To be honest I feel that alot of people feel a tad threatend by the Crusaders for some odd reason. At the end of the day they have thrown themselves towards becoming a Franchise in the Super League and I reckon they will be a good team for the league. The Crusaders are ready now, I still cant quite understand by not being ready? They have already proven themselves to be a good outfit and I firmly believe that they deserve a go over teams like Widnes and Leigh! The Crusaders have the finanical power and when they get their licencse the team will take off and the fans will come to games, Millenium Magic this year had a fair few new fans from Wales, me included in that and I can again tell you that the game is growing in Wales, not much so in North Wales but down South it does look promising!

C'mon the Crusaders!
[/b][/quote]

I'm not knocking Celtic, but i think they will get battered week in and week out, and most people will not want to watch a team battered home and away, I know i wouldn't. Yes, they might have a few victories, but they will be at the bottom most of the time.

As for derserving a place over Widnes or Leigh, that to me is just plain wrong. What about League history and heritage, your saying it means **** your history or heritage, if Celtic get in.

Give Celtic, another 3 years to prove they are viable. Beacause like i said earlier history will repeat itself.

<div class='quotemain'> Leigh - now there's one from the left field! Which Super League team would you axe? [/b]

Cas or Wakey, take your pick :D

Jeff

<div class='quotemain'> Personally i'd like to see Salford, Widnes and Leigh come in this time, evening up the numbers of Lancs/Yorks teams and in 2012 bring in Celtic and a Cumbrian team.

Jeff

[/b]

C'mon the Crusaders!
[/b][/quote]

I'm not knocking Celtic, but i think they will get battered week in and week out, and most people will not want to watch a team battered home and away, I know i wouldn't. Yes, they might have a few victories, but they will be at the bottom most of the time.

As for derserving a place over Widnes or Leigh, that to me is just plain wrong. What about League history and heritage, your saying it means **** your history or heritage, if Celtic get in.

Give Celtic, another 3 years to prove they are viable. Beacause like i said earlier history will repeat itself.

[/b][/quote]

Sorry Widnes vaiable? A club in financial crisis ... hmm ....

And yes history and heritage has nothing to do with it, what does it mean if a club has history does not automatically mean they deserve a place, if they are producing the goods then im sorry they are not good enough! Regarding Celtic being bottom dont think the over sides would be bottom? The Crusaders will be like the Catalan Dragons poor in the first season come the second and theird will be a force to be reckoned with.
I presume you are a traditionalist who seems to be scared of new things! I say this because you seem to like your historical sides!

At the end of the day the Crusaders will be appealing to another type of audience and would be good for RL!

Spose i am a traditionalist, nowt wrong with that. I'm not scared of new things. It wont be my team that goes ***s up after 12 mths plus, ala Paris St Germain.

I mean c'mon how many time do we have to try it in Wales, like i said if they come in too early it will knacker up League in Wales, and this will be the nail in the coffin for proffessional league in Wales.

To be fair Jeff (I'm pro-Crusaders as you know) I would advise you to look at the example of the Catalans. They got wallopped in their first season and came bottom. They learnt their lessons and have been on the up ever since, crowds inclusive.

And on the flip side Rob, there are very definitely two sides to this, the Catalans, now feared throughout Super League, knew three whole years in advance they were coming in. Crusaders would have the grand total of 7 months to prepare for life in Super League. That's not a lot of time. Leigh, Widnes and Salford all know how to prepare for a season in Super League. Well, off the field anyway, if not on it as Leigh's 5 points is a catastrophe. Even Halifax have more experience than the Crusaders.

However, I think there is a strong case for the Crusaders to get in. Jeff, do you not think the overwhelming success of Millennium Magic has made massive inroads before? I know what you mean about history repeating itself but I think the time is now. I trust the RFL when it comes to things like this - they have got the Catalans 100% spot on and I am convinced they would do the same with the Crusaders. This is without mentioning the youth set up they have; Rugby_Cymru has told me lots about it and how it is gathering momentum.

To be fair Jeff (I'm pro-Crusaders as you know) I would advise you to look at the example of the Catalans. They got wallopped in their first season and came bottom. They learnt their lessons and have been on the up ever since, crowds inclusive.

And on the flip side Rob, there are very definitely two sides to this, the Catalans, now feared throughout Super League, knew three whole years in advance they were coming in. Crusaders would have the grand total of 7 months to prepare for life in Super League. That's not a lot of time. Leigh, Widnes and Salford all know how to prepare for a season in Super League. Well, off the field anyway, if not on it as Leigh's 5 points is a catastrophe. Even Halifax have more experience than the Crusaders.

However, I think there is a strong case for the Crusaders to get in. Jeff, do you not think the overwhelming success of Millennium Magic has made massive inroads before? I know what you mean about history repeating itself but I think the time is now. I trust the RFL when it comes to things like this - they have got the Catalans 100% spot on and I am convinced they would do the same with the Crusaders. This is without mentioning the youth set up they have; Rugby_Cymru has told me lots about it and how it is gathering momentum. [/b]

I agree with you about Catalans, i have no gripe with them, i 'll say it again they have had 60 yrs plus experience, plus they play in the region of France where League is the dominant code of rugby. If they did not have 3 yrs grace, they would have been relegated. Did Workington, get 3 years grace, no and where are they now. I'll not say about MM, would prefer to spend my money going to wembley, to be onest.

J

You should give MM a spin one year mate, you'll love it. So many rugby mad people in one place. I'm certain that Cymro doesn't regret coming along, put it like that! The Hull derby was an awesome game and the exhibition Saints put on was brilliant.

I'm going on my holidays tomorrow for 4 days, but please, continue this excellent debate in my absence.

You should give MM a spin one year mate, you'll love it. So many rugby mad people in one place. I'm certain that Cymro doesn't regret coming along, put it like that! The Hull derby was an awesome game and the exhibition Saints put on was brilliant.

I'm going on my holidays tomorrow for 4 days, but please, continue this excellent debate in my absence. [/b]

Enjoy yous hols, i'm sure we will ;)

For me there are 3 realistic contenders from outside the current 12 SL clubs:

Celtic Crusaders
Salford City Reds
Widnes Vikings

Personally I would like to see Widnes in SL. Cracking stadium, excellent new owner with money to burn and one of RL's great names.

Salford will be in there because the RFL are not gonna give up on Manchester and leave it purely for Sale to try and woo punters. New stadium on the way which brings all the extra business and crowds as we've seen in Warrington & Hull since they moved out from the dumps they were festering in.

Celtic Crusaders - For me it's now or never. I know there has been many false dawns and missed opportunities but if we continue to wait until they're 'ready' then we will be forever waiting. I watched their academy team play East Lancs Lions a few weeks back and I can verify that there is some good, young Welsh talent with lots of potential.

I think Celtic & Salford will get the nod but Widnes IMO fully deserve a place in SL which isn't gonna happen unless one of the existing SL clubs gets the boot.

I agree with you Vambo - I fail to see, new stadium aside, what the Reds offer. They were dirge last season.

Latest posts