• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League XVIII (2013): General Discussion Thread.

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The season starts tommorow my friends!!! Same idea as the NRL thread that melon set up last year, got anything to say about Super League but don't feel like starting a thread...observations on games, highlights etc. than put in a post.

Hopefully this season isn't hijacked by the unfortunate financial issues that so plagued the league last year, although worringly Salford had some concerns preseason and have since had an ownership change. As well it was reported that the clubs in the league have a combined debt of some 68.5 million pounds(though this is elevated by two clubs the auditor said had lost complete control of their expenses).

I think some of the same teams that finished well last year will again be contendors, Leeds, Warrington, St.Helens and Wigan look to be strong. I'm not counting out the Catalan Dragons either though.

Absolutely fantastic game between Wigan and Warrington tonight, I'll try to get highlights up ASAP. After the blowouts of Round One the followup is off to a great start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to a world wide ban on the Shoulder Charge, the Super League have pretty much been forced into adopting the rule the NRL went with this off season. There was an option to play out this year with them still in the rule book but the board voted to implement the chnages immediately. Not sure I agree with that stance though I guess it is super early in the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21520551

Going to be hard for players to get out of the habit of it, especially "mid" season - if the refs are hard on it there's going to be a llooottt of penalties early on.

Going to be hard for players to get out of the habit of it, especially "mid" season - if the refs are hard on it there's going to be a llooottt of penalties early on.

Yeah these were my thoughts as well Olyy, rule changes mid season should be avoided at almost all costs, a few more weeks and I have a feeling Super League would have held on to it for the rest of the year. It would also been interesting to note the contrast between Super League and the NRL to see the comparison of leaving them in or out of the competition.

Due to a world wide ban on the Shoulder Charge, the Super League have pretty much been forced into adopting the rule the NRL went with this off season. There was an option to play out this year with them still in the rule book but the board voted to implement the chnages immediately. Not sure I agree with that stance though I guess it is super early in the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21520551

They'll have to tackle like proper rugby players do now.

World Club Challenge tonight - not sure whether I'll watch it or not as I'm keen to see the Glou/Worc-ester match.
Not sure how it'll go - Storm favourites in the bookies, but I wouldn't count out Leeds sneaking it.

World Club Challenge tonight - not sure whether I'll watch it or not as I'm keen to see the Glou/Worc-ester match.
Not sure how it'll go - Storm favourites in the bookies, but I wouldn't count out Leeds sneaking it.

I only caught virtually the enitre 2nd half but it was a cracking encounter, both sides bringing the physicality in a big way and good excitement. The Storm were well deserved winners but I think Leeds acquited themselves well from the looks of things.....Steve O was getting mighty depressed in that commentary booth in the last 3-4 minutes though LOL, could tell he really wanted the Rhinos to come back.

What do you make to the start of the season?

Wigan and Leeds look the teams to beat imho, I know Briers is out but Warrington aren´t getting any younger and I suspect and the evidence is there that they have lost a little something these past two seasons. Of the others Saints need to get a few players back and then we can judge them but again, I suspect they are in decline. Catalans are overrated which only leaves Huddersfield, it would be nice to see them sustain a challenge this season.

Still too many weak teams and teams deciding which weeks to put the effort in. Hopefully Castleford will show sustained improvement under Danny Orr, and Salford should be more solid once Noble starts to have an impact.

There is a good game in the Championship this sunday, Featherstone at home to Halifax, anyone in the area and free on Sunday afternoon should be well rewarded with some good rugby and a good contest if they go to the game.

Warrington are a year older and you can definitely tell.

The number of draws so far has been pretty incredible, really screwing over my Superbru picks as well LOL. I wouldn't say Catalan are hugely overrated they are really good at home, but never deliver the same performance away(something to do with the much longer travel distances perhaps?). Castleford have been a disaster thus far and "The Jungle" is really falling apart, they had to abandon a game a couple of weeks ago due to it's dilapidated state.

Think you are bang on though Foxydread, Wigan and Leeds the teams to beat with Warrington maybe on the outside chance. On the Championship front are their any teams making noise at acquiring licenses to come up to Super League?

Couple of amazing finishes tonight, Wigan win with a try at the death to cap a great comeback win over Bradford(very big win for Wigan in the grand scheme) and a Lee Briers last minute Field Goal takes Warrington over Leeds 19-18....only caught the 2nd half myself but what a game and start to the round.

I do hope you lot are making good use of your time by watching the Lions/Wallabies game.

No stopping every time someone is tackled (normally by a minimum of 3 blokes in League) and no bloody referee shouting out every few seconds at the top of his voice -

1, 2, 3, 4 held, go (as if the offense don't know when they can attack). For goodness sake.

Why did you recommend that game to me? It was a one sided awful affair for the neutral(as frankly was almost all of the tour... and than the close matches were generally pedantic and pedestrian...) I ended up having to watch it on fast forward I hated it so much....thankfully beforehand I had taped the Canes and Highlanders so I went back to that....than today watched the Catalan Dragons hold off a brave London Broncos come back attempt...all much more exciting that the overwrought and overhyped Lions tour final test....

Last edited:
Warrington - Leeds was a bit scrappy but highly entertaining in the last ten minutes.

It was a good game. I hope the Challenge Cup ties this weekend are as entertaining.

Latest posts