• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Expansion

14 teams is perfect for me. Add a Japanese team and a Hawaiian or Hong Kong team and there you have it. But SRP hasn't asked for my opinion...yet. ;)
i could get my head around a 10 team (home and away though) with promotion from domestic leagues like football

same teams every year does get stale, nothing to play for if you lose 3-4 games

the Jags were in the SA pool, Japan went into the Aussie pool to bring them to 5 teams after the force were dropped

That was it! Sorry! I knew there was something that didn't quite make sense with my memory on that. Reading the format again - what a mess it was.

This makes more sense though as to why they disliked it. You had SA teams that would fly to Argentina, fly back to SA play games then do a flying tour across Aus/NZ and Japan or Singapore, but the Sunwolves hated playing at Singapore, and SA teams didn't want to have to fly to Japan to play the Sunwolves as it would add more flight strain to the team.

It really was a logistical nightmare. The teams were doing full vertical world tours every year.

in fairness, everyone was travelling a similar amount, the only differencewas when a NZ team went to SA they would only play 2 games before having to come back where as the SA teams would do at least three (sometimes 4) in NZ/aus

lets all spare a thought for Perth based teams...wherever you play is at least a 5 hour flight away

Latest posts