Super Rugby Expansion

Al Bangor

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Brave Lupus
This expansion article is about two months old. If any of you know of any updates since then please share. I'm already looking forward to next season. Thank you.

Last edited:
So format for 2022 confirmed, have to say I'm not a fan of these formats where teams play some teams twice and not others, who ever gets the crusaders twice is straight away at a disadvantage

I am stoked we've got it sorted and the new teams are confirmed

And in other more worrying news the landers have let josh ioane go, string rumours are so he can join moana pasifika , we don't exactly have the depth to be letting guys like him go…couldn't they take someone from the saders or blues?

1630321061277.png

So format for 2022 confirmed, have to say I'm not a fan of these formats where teams play some teams twice and not others, who ever gets the crusaders twice is straight away at a disadvantage

I am stoked we've got it sorted and the new teams are confirmed

And in other more worrying news the landers have let josh ioane go, string rumours are so he can join moana pasifika , we don't exactly have the depth to be letting guys like him go…couldn't they take someone from the saders or blues?

View attachment 12142

I'm excited about Fijian Drua in Super Rugby, can't wait to see them play. Also, Josh Ioane signed with the Chiefs.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed, could get my head around him joining moana pasifika as they need some talent…just going to an existing super team…is disappointing

Pretty disappointed, could get my head around him joining moana pasifika as they need some talent…just going to an existing super team…is disappointing

Is Moana Pasifika playing their home matches in Auckland this coming season?

Last edited:
have to say I'm not a fan of these formats where teams play some teams twice and not others
It's utterly ridiculous - how can you run a fair competition with a really stupid format like that... just shows you how many incompetent idiots are involved in running this comp.

It's utterly ridiculous - how can you run a fair competition with a really stupid format like that... just shows you how many incompetent idiots are involved in running this comp.
It can be done, but they insisted on a number of games that made it impossible.

2 groups of 6 play home and away in groups, (As current), and home or away v other group, 6 matches.
16 rounds.

I think a system of 3 groups of 4, with 2 from each country. Home and away is 6 games, and home or away v rest 6 games. 12 games would be good

I'm fine with it. As long as they have 8 in the knock outs, for serious contenders the regular season is just entertainment. And that's what they've prioritized.

I'm fine with it. As long as they have 8 in the knock outs, for serious contenders the regular season is just entertainment. And that's what they've prioritized.
8/12 is too many.
I like the Pro14 system of 3 from each group.
Then 2 v 3 crossover with winners progressing.

This also means there is bonus for winning your group, so interest in the group stage.

With the 3x4 system, top 2 qualify, and the bonus is being group winners with best records getting benefit.

Interesting perspective.

I personally don't mind smashing the Aussie teams, from a pure entertainment point of view, but this is the end of rugby in Australia, and i dont want that. They had crowds when it was an all Australian affair, when some of their teams were winning and the others had a chance.

maybe they should have two divisions with crossover matches like the npc, which is a really great structure. And That would allow expansion with new teams coming into the second division.

im still a fan of more teams as the solution, so everyone has similar competition, spread out the smashings so for every big loss there might be a win

im still a fan of more teams as the solution, so everyone has similar competition, spread out the smashings so for every big loss there might be a win
Yes, that should be the plan, but more PE needs to come on board and atm, both NZRU and ARU, want to keep control. They do not have the money to compete with Europe and Japan.

100%. The old format of just playing everyone once could have worked, then just alternate home-away the next year.

8/12 is too many.
I like the Pro14 system of 3 from each group.
Then 2 v 3 crossover with winners progressing.

This also means there is bonus for winning your group, so interest in the group stage.

With the 3x4 system, top 2 qualify, and the bonus is being group winners with best records getting benefit.
Or top 6/12. Top 2 automatic semi-finalists, positions 3-6 playoffs.

That is what my idea would have been 6/12.
You are suggesting 4/12, which means teams have nothing to play for quite early in season.

That is what my idea would have been 6/12.
You are suggesting 4/12
6 is not a multiple of 4 so 6/12 becomes either 3/12 or 4/12 anyway.

which means teams have nothing to play for quite early in season.
That's not the rugby I grew up watching. The Super 12 as it was called back in the day was the most exciting provincial rugby tournament in the history of the sport. High quality rugby week in week out from start to finish.

That's not the rugby I grew up watching. The Super 12 as it was called back in the day was the most exciting provincial rugby tournament in the history of the sport. High quality rugby week in week out from start to finish.
Yes, I just mean that if you are 2-6 halfway through season, there is nothing left to play for if only top 2 qualify.

Interesting perspective.

I personally don't mind smashing the Aussie teams, from a pure entertainment point of view, but this is the end of rugby in Australia, and i dont want that. They had crowds when it was an all Australian affair, when some of their teams were winning and the others had a chance.

maybe they should have two divisions with crossover matches like the npc, which is a really great structure. And That would allow expansion with new teams coming into the second division.
... actually a great idea. Some good flexibility around exact numbers, good number of competitive matches

No doubt the super 12 was great, but that's because any team could beat any other team. Australia had three teams and rugby was stronger then Than it is now; yet now they have 5 teams that are half as good as the three teams were back then. Plus there were four competitive South African teams.

an everyone plays everyone once competition with a third or so teams making the playoffs only works when all the teams are competitive.

Latest posts