• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2022)

hmph. ABs don't need to ne #1 all the time. this has worked against us in past WCs. not being the best for this WC is going to work in favour of the ABs I reckon

hmph. ABs don't need to ne #1 all the time. this has worked against us in past WCs. not being the best for this WC is going to work in favour of the ABs I reckon

I would also take Stuart Barnes with a pinch of salt as well. He is the equivalent of Mark Reason over here.

ponies vs SR's PSG equivalent

You look at the game stats and it's hard to believe that was a 1 point game till the last second.

ponies vs SR's PSG equivalent

You look at the game stats and it's hard to believe that was a 1 point game till the last second.
Yeah, it was an interesting one. I was saying to someone at half time that the brumbies looked like the better team because their defence was better than the blues attack, but the best you can do if you defend all day is draw, and the worst you can do if you attack all day is draw.

What did you think about claims by Alan alaalatoa and the one eyed Justin Harrison that the brumbies were unfairly treated by the ref? Thanks actually thought it was the other way around; the brumbies were not rolling away all day and barely got done for it; a different ref could easily have penalised them ten to fifteen more times. Although I do think the call at the end was dodgy; it was a ruck so the brumbies player wasn't allowed to go for it but the blues player had gone straight to ground thereby preventing any ruck contest.

Interesting how much the interpretation of the laws change. It seems very recent that teams are allowed to get away with being slow to roll away, getting in the road of the halfback, and continue in from the side seems to be allowed much more than it was a few years ago, I presume they they got rid of the law about latching because that happens all the time this year.

And it's always been the case that some refs seem not to care that a ruck is already formed before someone puts their hand in it as long as they are on their feet.

Regarding the ref, i think most teams test the waters the first couple of engages and then adjust accordingly. The brumbies did just that. If there is one thing the pony's got going for them is how tidy they are and i suspect refs, consciously or not, tend to reward that. What i consider paramount is that the same criteria is applied equally to both sides, which in this case i believe it was. Mistakes happen, sure.
Regarding the last play, i didn't see a penalty.
I do see a LOT of people going in from the side, particularly when a player is supporting the ball carrier, this one gets tackled and the support player (at such time being at the same 'line' as the ball carrier) goes in from the side instead of stopping, going behind the player and entering the ruck from behind. It doesn't get penalized enough imo. I understand why the attacking team does it, it could be a calculated risk: it is generally in your opposition's half so if you get penalized it's far from your goal and if you get away with it you can continue with the momentum on your opponents half. But a lot of people do get away with murder.

The other thay i was thinking what two playes would i like to see face each other and in what sort of challenge.

I guess it would be cordero vs kolbe (both play in NH, i know!) on something that involved acceleration, sheer speed and sidestepping.
I'd like to see Moneta (sevens player) thrown in the mix too.

Regarding the ref, i think most teams test the waters the first couple of engages and then adjust accordingly. The brumbies did just that. If there is one thing the pony's got going for them is how tidy they are and i suspect refs, consciously or not, tend to reward that. What i consider paramount is that the same criteria is applied equally to both sides, which in this case i believe it was. Mistakes happen, sure.
Regarding the last play, i didn't see a penalty.
I do see a LOT of people going in from the side, particularly when a player is supporting the ball carrier, this one gets tackled and the support player (at such time being at the same 'line' as the ball carrier) goes in from the side instead of stopping, going behind the player and entering the ruck from behind. It doesn't get penalized enough imo. I understand why the attacking team does it, it could be a calculated risk: it is generally in your opposition's half so if you get penalized it's far from your goal and if you get away with it you can continue with the momentum on your opponents half. But a lot of people do get away with murder.
Ahh, yeah I know exactly what you mean. Was just noticing that in the moana pacifika game.

I don't mind so much if a player goes in from the side for the purpose of avoiding taking out the head of a jackler. But those ones are usually pinged.

A pretty mad second half.

Drua lost by just one point, 35-34. Before the season began I thought Drua would win two games. They've done that and came so close here to another win. Being an optimist, I'm impressed that they rallied to keep it so close. But I have to admit that I'm a little bummed they lost. A pretty mad second half indeed. o_O

Last edited:
A really funny ending to this one. If the Highlanders win or get a losing BP they get to the playoffs. If they don't even get a losing BP then they are eliminated and the Force progress.

So the Highlanders make the playoffs with a record of 4 wins, 10 losses!
Brumbies messing up at Moana means they will host the Hurricanes rather than the Waratahs.

The only QF 'upset' I expect is the Canes to just pip the Brumbies. But i hope I'm wrong so that there is Aussie interest for another week.

So the Highlanders make the playoffs with a record of 4 wins, 10 losses!
Brumbies messing up at Moana means they will host the Hurricanes rather than the Waratahs.

The only QF 'upset' I expect is the Canes to just pip the Brumbies. But i hope I'm wrong so that there is Aussie interest for another week.
this format was legit set up because "everyone" thought the NZ teams would be the top 5 and so they wanted to get at least three aussie teams in, it should be changed next year, top 6 probably but really should just be top 4

this format was legit set up because "everyone" thought the NZ teams would be the top 5 and so they wanted to get at least three aussie teams in, it should be changed next year, top 6 probably but really should just be top 4
I wondered if part of the rationale was to mimic world cups by having quarterfinals - to give the players experience at playing quarterfinals. Also means the bottom teams have something to play for for longer into the competition, rather than getting half way in and there season is already effectively over. I do agree it's dumb though.

Latest posts