• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2022)

Another solid TTT. Aussies have definitely made improvements. In the last two weeks the third best Aussie side has played the Crusaders in NZ and in 130mins of play had kept the scores well within 20 points across the two games.

Another solid TTT. Aussies have definitely made improvements. In the last two weeks the third best Aussie side has played the Crusaders in NZ and in 130mins of play had kept the scores well within 20 points across the two games.

The Australian teams have definitely improved, at least in defence. I think all of their attacks were pretty good last year, they didn't have trouble getting points against New Zealand sides, and that included the waratahs and the rebels.

But in defence they have made massive improvements. Some of this is filtering down from improvements the wallabies have been making too. Look at 2020, there was this new wallaby called Harry Wilson everyone was hyping but it turned out he was by a very long way the worst defensive wallaby loose forward I have ever seen. The amount of tackles he missed was beyond belief. And he was their hero. The super rugby teams, especially the reds, waratahs, and rebels, were similarly appalling last year. But the wallabies improved their defence in 2021 and so have the super rugby sides in 2022. Not saying their defence is good by the way, just much improved.

That said, the NZ sides are below what they were last year, with the exception of the blues.

Looking forward to three games of rugby today.

Hope the highlanders can improve, they've been going backwards last few weeks. Don't really hold much hope for them, was a shame about Gilbert. Timu showed some promise but then made some bad decisions and mistakes. I like Gregory but I wouldn't have picked him, or I would have swapped his position with paea just because Gregory had been known to miss some critical tackles in midfield. Highlanders lineout is great and so are their loosies. Unfotunatwly they do t have the kicking game to complement their lineout. But if they can manage parity in the scrums and disrupt the blues ball without giving away too many penalties they may have a chance. The ref will be the most important player for them.

Chiefs waratahs. The waratahs lost to a baby blues team so I'm not sure what hope they have but then the chiefs haven't really looked that great and this weekend their loosie combo might struggle at the breakdown against gamble and hooper. If angus bell can win some scrum penalties the waratahs might be a chance, but how well will their reserve front rowers fare against Norris and Moli? I have been displeased with the chiefs ruck clearing this year; they just seal the ball off rather than trying to get clean ball for the halfback. I think this is a gatland thing that doesn't suit the chiefs play. Hopefully they can give clean ball at least when it matters most and so get back to being a team that is exciting to watch.

The big one for me, especially being a canes fan, is canes brumbies. Interesting reserves selection with no backup midfielders. And that means it will be the first time this year (or probably in super rugby history) that Jordie will play 80 minutes at 12. I've been happy to see TJ getting back towards his own style in the last couple of weeks, but i feel he's going to be critical this week in terms of his all round game. Again the scrums will be interesting, both starting and later on when the likes of slipper come on. Lomax hasn't had the best season in the scrum. But I think the most important thing for the hurricanes will be the penalty count - not wanting to give away too many mall opportunites. The brumbies have had it over us the last two games, and while they slipped up last week that could only be expected after a massive game the week before, so it's going to be tough.

As much as I criticise the format and as much as the scorelines in the QF may not suggest it, the 7th and 8th seeds did at least put in a decent showing in the playoffs. It makes me less critical, especially with the battle for 8th coming down to the last second. I'd still change it mind.

Another great advert for the 20min red card (which I think has been a great success if backed up by further penalties after the whistle if required). Seemed a bit of a feisty encounter from the highlights.

Well, it's 1 in the morning, it's been a while since the game ended but I'm not feeling at all sleepy yet. Disappointed for sure. Ardie didn't have much impact on the game; that just doesn't happen.

Looking forward to seeing how tupaea goes against more of a rush defence next week as he's been making great gainline against the Aussie sides in recent weeks, looking promising.

I thought mikaele tuu had an outstanding start to the game and was outplaying hoskins but by the end of the game I think hoskins was player of the round. Jacobson had a good game at seven too. Retallick was good. Both Ethan's. . In general the all blacks stood up.

How good was TUJ though, defending two players with one arm, including throwing hoskins to the ground.

De groot must be challenging to start against Ireland, I'd pick him, had a great all round season.

So banks is going overseas, seems an odd time to do that so close to a World Cup. Will he still be in contention for the wallabies?

So the SF's are:
Blues v Brumbies
Crusaders v Chiefs

Predictions?.

I think the Blues at home will eventually be a bit too good for the Brumbies - probably 1-12 but at the higher end of that bracket.

If there's one team in the comp that I could see winning in Christchurch in a knockout game, it's the Chiefs - they've got the pack to do it and they'll fancy their chances having already won there this year. Just got a feeling the Chiefs might pull it off, could even go to GP.

So the SF's are:
Blues v Brumbies
Crusaders v Chiefs

Predictions?.

I think the Blues at home will eventually be a bit too good for the Brumbies - probably 1-12 but at the higher end of that bracket.

If there's one team in the comp that I could see winning in Christchurch in a knockout game, it's the Chiefs - they've got the pack to do it and they'll fancy their chances having already won there this year. Just got a feeling the Chiefs might pull it off, could even go to GP.
If the home advantage was reversed I could see the Brumbies and Chiefs winning. But as it isn't I'll simply say they'll be two decent matches, with the Blues winning by a couple of scores and the Crusaders by less than 7.

Thought Nic really pushed the envelope here. I understand that different types of infractions can be deemed as distinct events but that's not what we generally see. You get warned, you **** up again, yellow, end off.

Matera's red was unfortunate, as he paid for others with his first yellow card, but fair nevertheless.

Chiefs stuffed up when they had opportunities, otherwise could have won. Should have probably taken points when on offer too, in those conditions.

Crusaders will be tired for next week though.

3 pivotal moments imo.

- First yc was ********
- Sowakula misses the try
- those 10 min of 100% possession that ended up in a saders counter and 7 points. Having said that, i can see how you could argue the ref played a not-so-minor role in that.

I wouldnt be a happy camper if i was a chierfs' supporter.

I wonder if ofa was onside. Also lucky not to give Away a penalty when the brumbies got the turnover near the end there, but I guess they got it and the small amount of holding on didn't make a big difference (?)

The Brumbies effort was even better than I was expecting. Hopefully Aussie fans can look forward to next season with optimism for the first time in almost a decade.

I think organisers will be happy with how the first season of the tournament went. Its remained a pretty engaging product and to be honest I didnt think I'd have much interest in it. All 8 playoff sides showed a fair bit of ability and there were pretty close contests.

So final in Auckland?

Yes. Makes it a much more exciting proposition in my opinion. I don't know who are favourites for this, I really don't. It could be a great final or the Crusaders could get an early lead and not let the Blues back in it.

I will go with my old assumption that the higher the stakes, the harder it is to execute an expansive gameplan (in any team sport). So I'll favour the side who focuses on high percentage passing and gaining yards with the pack. Crusaders.

Matera's free to play.

I am not that off if i claim i understood the laws of the game when i was 5 than today.

Anyway, not that i care as i've got no skin in the game, but if forced to pick i hope the crusaders tear the blues a new one.

Matera's free to play.

I am not that off if i claim i understood the laws of the game when i was 5 than today.

Anyway, not that i care as i've got no skin in the game, but if forced to pick i hope the crusaders tear the blues a new one.
i think most of us are the same, laws are so much more complicated and subjective than when i started playing

Latest posts