• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Semi-Final: Waratahs vs Highlanders

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:lol: To be honest I think he'd find it quite funny how much hate he inspires over in NZ from some fans. I've met him at one or two corporate sports functions, and he's a pretty funny guy that doesn't take too much very seriously. He's massively one-eyed, but he's happy to admit that and most of his smart arse commentary is said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Yep, I don't think he'd lose too much sleep other what people think of him over this side of the ditch, although, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that his comments about the ref were "tongue in cheek" in this instance. Did Craig Joubert miss some stuff, sure (all ref's do), but they weren't all in favor of the Highlanders.

Foley's attempted tackle when Naholo scored, featured no arms, and his back hitting Naholo, which is something that resulted in a penalty try, and sin-binning of Chiefs player, Tom Marshall, a few weeks ago. No replay, no comments from any of the commentary team

Kearn's defense of stating that all commentators from other countries are considered biased, doesn't really wash with me, because the majority of pundits from this side of the ditch, weren't saying that the Aussie commentary team was biased, they were saying that he was.

To cite what the crowds reaction to the ref's performance (which were reminicient of the MCG, Bay 13, and what Richard Hadlee was), as justification for his criticism is hardly strengthening his case either, as they were hardly impartial, and were "extremely disappointed in the match outcome" to try to put it tactfully.

... I get the whole "he's an entertainer" thing too, but what he should realise (and all commentators for that matter), is that they are broadcasting to international audiences, so rhey can't just target the local audiences with their comments.

Last edited:
To be completed honest, Kearns is just a product of the Australian rugby culture and old boy networks and that's what he reflects - not Aussie sports culture in general.

I imagine Kiwi hasn't had much exposure to the vast majority of Australian sports (i.e. The NRL and AFL), but if you had you'd notice that the commentary of Ray Warren and Peter Sterling (to cite one example) very much disprove the "all Aussie sports commentaries are biased *****" hypothesis).

The thing you need to understand is the NRL is a well run businesses; the ARU is not.

Richie Benaud still goes down as the greatest Aussie commentator ever, full of class and appreciation of the game, no matter who was playing.

To be completed honest, Kearns is just a product of the Australian rugby culture and old boy networks and that's what he reflects - not Aussie sports culture in general.

I imagine Kiwi hasn't had much exposure to the vast majority of Australian sports (i.e. The NRL and AFL), but if you had you'd notice that the commentary of Ray Warren and Peter Sterling (to cite one example) very much disprove the "all Aussie sports commentaries are biased *****" hypothesis).

The thing you need to understand is the NRL is a well run businesses; the ARU is not.

I think the likes of AFL and NRL can probably get away with it a bit more, to be honest. They are both "less international" in terms of where the games are played, and even the number of countries they are televised to.

It's interesting that the likes of Kearnsey and Marto can be so biased, and yet Clarky seems to be able to be a lot more restrained

I think the likes of AFL and NRL can probably get away with it a bit more, to be honest. They are both "less international" in terms of where the games are played, and even the number of countries they are televised to.

Well, the point was they are less bias all the same. Peter Sterling is a Parramatta legend, but you never get the sense he's supporting them when he commentates their games.

The reason for that isn't that they're "less international", but that they're both billion dollar businesses.

Richie Benaud still goes down as the greatest Aussie commentator ever, full of class and appreciation of the game, no matter who was playing.

Agree. Followed by Ray Warrem, never a hint of bias and such an iconic voice.

I think it's being blown out of proportion a bit. Kearns was over the top, no doubt. But that's just Kearns and always has been. Calling him a c*nt and a **** is just as bad as him being bitter, and completely unnecessary. For me it actually made it pretty funny. The more the Highlanders scored, the more sour he became. It's pretty unsportsman like, but he's something different. Not every commentator in existence is going to be your vanilla standard "well gee golly, we got ourselves a ball game here folks." We know what Kearns is like. The Tahs have been getting away with stuff for quite awhile now - just like Chiefs up until this year. But anything he says you just have to take with a grain of salt.

There are plenty of Aussies who I know, commentators included, who are willing to dish it out and give plenty of banter but when they suffer defeat they are the first to say congratulations or shout you a beer. That's just how most Aussies are. Work hard, play hard. The media, and individuals in general take things too far; but that's not a fair sample - those are just bitter people and loons. Hate to say but here in New Zealand we have our own problems. Give me one eyed any day over the nastiness and backstabbing our supporters do when something isn't going picture-perfect. See the examples of hate towards McCaw.

Another Aussie sportsmen with a shocking attitude. That bell end at Wimbledon Kyrigoious?.. Hewitt was the same with in insufferable fist pumps COME ON... Really can't stand Aussie sportsmen..

Another Aussie sportsmen with a shocking attitude. That bell end at Wimbledon Kyrigoious?.. Hewitt was the same with in insufferable fist pumps COME ON... Really can't stand Aussie sportsmen..

Tennis players don't count. The sport breeds douchebags - McKinroe and Andy Murray are both famous ******s, while Serena Williams is a big a ***** as she is an unstoppable force. But then you've got classy people like Rafter and Mark Phillapousos who balance out Kygrios here at least. Also, to be fair to Hewitt he was a brat when he was younger, but isn't as in your face these days.

Tennis players don't count. The sport breeds douchebags - McKinroe and Andy Murray are both famous ******s, while Serena Williams is a big a ***** as she is an unstoppable force. But then you've got classy people like Rafter and Mark Phillapousos who balance out Kygrios here at least. Also, to be fair to Hewitt he was a brat when he was younger, but isn't as in your face these days.

It's not the sport mate, it's the Australian sporting culture.

Djokovic, Fed, Nadal are all good value.

Murray? Really? Sure, he's boring, but I don't agree that he's a ****...

It's not the sport mate, it's the Australian sporting culture.

Djokovic, Fed, Nadal are all good value.

I think you need to read up on selection bias Kiwi. I get that you don't like us, but you need to understand that the ability to cite a few self absorbed sportsmen is a trait that can be quite easily replicated. Just take a casual glance at the U.S., the UK, or even the Spanish basketball team (to be left field) and you'll see plenty of examples.

You just see a lot more of us because we're you're neighbours. Also, for the record the worst crowd behaviour I've ever seen at a rugby match was in NZ during the last World Cup. The way some of the Kiwi fans carried on to Aussie supporters was worse than the **** the maroons pull out for wearing blues jerseys.

Kygrios has always been like that - you can't just cherry pick based on a television clip here and there. He's barely 20 years old. I'm sure we've all said and done some disrespectful and crazy stuff when we were that age.

New Zealand has it's share of morons too. Each country approaches sport in different ways. Do I agree with how the Aussies always do it? Nah. But I don't think summing up an entire sporting culture based on a few is warranted either. I think the Aussie cricketers go way too far, but I also think the amount of crying our media does goes way too far as well. Those memes surfacing the internet on how we're so high and mighty (see Grant Elliot helping a South African up, and Brad Haddin spouting something out after a wicket had fallen) was kinda sickening. It's like a little brother always having to be right, or better. Constantly tugging on Mummy's apron to convince her we're so much more amazing, or maybe we're trying to convince ourselves.

It's humiliating and embarrassing.

Last edited:
you might want to turn it down a notch Kiwi, you're sounding a like a bit of a Hick with the HUGE generalizations. Naming half a dozen arrogant aussies out of how many million doesn't make it a fact.

If anything we may have just confirmed a bit of arrogance is a key to becoming successful!

They're their top sportsmen and representation Internationally and they're setting examples like that. It's embarrassing for them, not me. I can certainly guarantee you did not see the Kyrigious incident (twice in two different games) or likely do you watch much test cricket if you're trying to call me out. So have a better knowledge about what I'm talking about before you form an opinion on my opinion. Having grown up watching the likes of Johnson and Kearns flipping our guys off when they win I think it's a little understandable to have my view.

Kygrios has always been like that - you can't just cherry pick based on a television clip here and there. He's barely 20 years old. I'm sure we've all said and done some disrespectful and crazy stuff when we were that age.

New Zealand has it's share of morons too. Each country approaches sport in different ways. Do I agree with how the Aussies always do it? Nah. But I don't think summing up an entire sporting culture based on a few is warranted either. I think the Aussie cricketers go way too far, but I also think the amount of crying our media does goes way too far as well. Those memes surfacing the internet on how we're so high and mighty (see Grant Elliot helping a South African up, and Brad Haddin spouting something out after a wicket had fallen) was kinda sickening. It's like a little brother always having to be right, or better. Constantly tugging on Mummy's apron to convince her we're so much more amazing, or maybe we're trying to convince ourselves.

It's humiliating and embarrassing.

Kygrios is a dick. He is also Australian. The two taken together don't necessarily mean anything....

John McInroe was a dick as well, so was Jimmy Connors (except he was also arrogant prick) and they're Yanks.

As as for Ivan Lendl, he was a bad tempered, arrogant dick, and he was Czechoslovakian!!

If Kygrios gets to be half as good as any of the three I have mentioned here, hell be doing OK!!

They're their top sportsmen and representation Internationally and they're setting examples like that. It's embarrassing for them, not me. I can certainly guarantee you did not see the Kyrigious incident (twice in two different games) or likely do you watch much test cricket if you're trying to call me out. So have a better knowledge about what I'm talking about before you form an opinion on my opinion. Having grown up watching the likes of Johnson and Kearns flipping our guys off when they win I think it's a little understandable to have my view.

What guarantee can you provide? A ridiculous hyperbole

I did see the incident and watch all the test cricket I can and haven't denied the men in question seem like jerks, my point is you have said a few times that because of these guys you dislike all Aussie sportspeople or words to that affect which is pretty rude

Even if I was saying they weren't jerks , to declare anyone disagreeing with you as knowing less that you is hugely arrogant...an Australian sports trait some would say

What guarantee can you provide? A ridiculous hyperbole

I did see the incident and watch all the test cricket I can and haven't denied the men in question seem like jerks, my point is you have said a few times that because of these guys you dislike all Aussie sportspeople or words to that affect which is pretty rude

Even if I was saying they weren't jerks , to declare anyone disagreeing with you as knowing less that you is hugely arrogant...an Australian sports trait some would say

Well, you're obviously a tolerable guy. I can't stand them to be honest, this isn't anything towards Australian people, as there's many great Australians. It was their sporting culture I was getting at and I think I have a strong case and argument judging by their top representation across the board.

Could a mod please move posts 205 to 216 into the Wimbledon thread where they belong, and then delete this one.

Well, you're obviously a tolerable guy. I can't stand them to be honest, this isn't anything towards Australian people, as there's many great Australians. It was their sporting culture I was getting at and I think I have a strong case and argument judging by their top representation across the board.

Representation across the board? I'd contend that; you're still massively cherry picking.

In what way do Rugby League legends like Peter Sterling, Mal Meninga, Wayne Bennett (who helped the Kiwis win the RLWC in 2008) or Laurie Daley conform to your theories about how awful our sports culture is?

What about current stars like Jonathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, the recently NFL chasing Jarryd Hayne or the Roosters' James Maloney (one of my favourites). What about in Union? What about Aussie sports culture has made David Pocock such a bad bloke? In what way is Israel Folau a d##khead? For that matter what have guys like Will Genia, Nick Cummins, Rob Horne or Stephen Moore ever done to **** you off?

Funnily enough, one of the biggest d##kheads we've had over the past couple years has been Quade Cooper - and he's a bloody Kiwi!

How strong is that "case and argument" about top representation across the board now?

aaaaarrrgh!!! Could a mod/admin also disable the stupid and immensely frustrating "- - - Updated - - -" feature which adds a new post to an existing post, even if I WANT A SEPARATE POST ON A DIFFERENCE SUBJECT.

I hate "features" that try to second guess what I want!

Latest posts