• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Team of the Season

I have thought about that... and really SBW slowly disappeared after round 13.

I think Tom Carter had a pretty strong season, and Ben Tapuai after playing decently in all season (when Harris were ruled out) finished on an high as he and A Fainga'a cancelled SBW!

Not great centres in SA this year, apart Robert Ebersohn who came out from nowhere...
The Stormers were hit by injuries and they had to switch and swap centres for the almost entire season, but anyway they struggled in attack this year.
Olivier is a one eyed centre, never liked him.
Meyer Bosman, to me, has been disappointing, Sharks have to fix their midfield problems!

I changed my original team:

15 - Kurtley Beale
14 - David Smith
13 - Robbie Fruean
12 - Tom Carter
11 - Digby Ioane
10 - Quade Cooper
9 - Will Genia
8 - Keiran Read
7 - Beau Robinson
6 - Scott Higginbotham
5 - Nathan Sharpe
4 - ...James Horwill... he is a 5, but he led his troups as no one else did for their ones, this year
3 - WP Nel
2 - Bismarck Du Plessis
1 - Wyatt Crockett

16 - TPN
17 - John Afoa
18 - Andries Bekker
19 - Radike Samo... he's 35!!
20 - Sarel Pretorius
21 - Dan Carter
22 - Rod Davies

I thought about Horwill too, but then he was injured for so long I don't know if he really warrants inclusion.

I have thought about that... and really SBW slowly disappeared after round 13.

I think Tom Carter had a pretty strong season, and Ben Tapuai after playing decently in all season (when Harris were ruled out) finished on an high as he and A Fainga'a cancelled SBW!

Not great centres in SA this year, apart Robert Ebersohn who came out from nowhere...
The Stormers were hit by injuries and they had to switch and swap centres for the almost entire season, but anyway they struggled in attack this year.
Olivier is a one eyed centre, never liked him.
Meyer Bosman, to me, has been disappointing, Sharks have to fix their midfield problems!

I changed my original team:

15 - Kurtley Beale
14 - David Smith
13 - Robbie Fruean
12 - Tom Carter
11 - Digby Ioane
10 - Quade Cooper
9 - Will Genia
8 - Keiran Read
7 - Beau Robinson
6 - Scott Higginbotham
5 - Nathan Sharpe
4 - ...James Horwill... he is a 5, but he led his troups as no one else did for their ones, this year
3 - WP Nel
2 - Bismarck Du Plessis
1 - Wyatt Crockett

16 - TPN
17 - John Afoa
18 - Andries Bekker
19 - Radike Samo... he's 35!!
20 - Sarel Pretorius
21 - Dan Carter
22 - Rod Davies

Apart from injuries to our centers, the Stormers had to deal with a number of different flyhalves directing play as well (Grant, Van Aswegen, Cronje, Coleman, Duvenhage, Rose all did duty), so we never got going.

The most worrying thing is that of the 4 SA players you feel might make a S15 XV, 2 will probably be on the bench (Bekker and Du Plessis) come the RWC, behind Matfield and Smit respectively, and the other 2 are both probably (confirmed in Pretorius' case) off abroad next year.

Whos Tom Carter?...Im being serious, who does he play for? Just so I can check him out.

There a old saying "Its not how you start its how you finished" SBW started off with a hiss and a roar then faded badly towards the end of the comp.Ma'a started off bad and finished strongly.SBW was like the ivisiable man in the 2nd half of the season.IMO no other 2nd five stepped up maybe James OConnor but he's all over the backline.

Yeah brother ahh its just that the name of this thread is 'Team of the SEASON' and to me that shouldnt go to a player that played poor/average all season and then finished on a high, season is overall not how you finished ...and just about 2 weeks ago he put Fruean through against the Stormers, he then created oppertunities in the final.

The thing about Sonny Bill Williams is, in the beginning he was doing amazing but risky offloads that no one else would attempt. Towards the end he conserved his offloads for the right moment (just like any good 12 should do), but the fact of the matter is, without his offload game, he's not all that. People seem to think he is a line breaker because of his size but he really isn't. He does offloads, but they seemed to drop off the more games he played. Without the offloads, he's not all that spectacular.

Your entitled to your opinions brothers but Im going to go for Sonny being the best 12 after all he is the majority vote and of course the All Black coaches vote.

Last edited:
He played (and plays) for the Waratahs!
When Berrick Barnes was fit, he used to play 13, but when Barnes was injuried (and once he withdrew him from rugby for a while) Tom Carter has been in the 12 jersey with Cross outside him!

He's a great finisher, and solid player, unlucky to miss Wallabies Selection!

Apart from injuries to our centers, the Stormers had to deal with a number of different flyhalves directing play as well (Grant, Van Aswegen, Cronje, Coleman, Duvenhage, Rose all did duty), so we never got going.

The most worrying thing is that of the 4 SA players you feel might make a S15 XV, 2 will probably be on the bench (Bekker and Du Plessis) come the RWC, behind Matfield and Smit respectively, and the other 2 are both probably (confirmed in Pretorius' case) off abroad next year.

Sorry I can't understand if you're saying I'm wrong by picking those players, or you're just worried that PdV won't pick them!

IMO this year Bekker has been better than Matfield, and Du Plessis is the in-form hooker of SA... Looking at form and SuperRugby performances, there are a lot of other guys I'd pick ahead of PdV choices (Vermeulen vs. Spies, Kankowski vs. Spies, Alberts vs. Spies, Josh Strauss vs. Spies, whoever vs. Habana, Lambie vs. Morné Steyn)...

Now the issue seems to be the injuries and they probably will have some space, but once the RWC will be started, I think a couple of these form-problems could return!

Last edited:
He played (and plays) for the Waratahs!
When Berrick Barnes was fit, he used to play 13, but when Barnes was injuried (and once he withdrew him from rugby for a while) Tom Carter has been in the 12 jersey with Cross outside him!

He's a great finisher, and solid player, unlucky to miss Wallabies Selection!

He plays centre for the Waratahs pal. I thought he had a cracking season.

Ahh no wonder, I didnt watch the Warratahs much this season and when I did, I watched it for Beale. I'll definately look out for him now. Geez not even my mates (who I thought were rugby purists) mentioned him.

If I'm correct, he scored 3 tries against the Highlanders in round 18

Ahh no wonder, I didnt watch the Warratahs much this season and when I did, I watched it for Beale. I'll definately look out for him now. Geez not even my mates (who I thought were rugby purists) mentioned him.

He's not flashy at all and the Australian media and fans seem to dislike him. Apparently they think he's too "goofy" or something. I visit an australian forum regularly and the opinions against him are often of the sort "he should change his haircut" or "I thought he was a good player until I heard him speak".

Talking rugby now, he is a very good defender (excellent actually), although he doesn't make any hit taht will appear on tv. On attack, he is a bit slow but he always gains meters (although very rarely breaks the line), and his passing is safe but far from spectacular.

So he's basicaly quite similar to Ant Fainga'a, although I think Ant has some more "unpredictability" in attack. There was clearly no space for both in the WC squad, but I think it wasn't fair not to include him in the 40.

He played (and plays) Sorry I can't understand if you're saying I'm wrong by picking those players, or you're just worried that PdV won't pick them!

IMO this year Bekker has been better than Matfield, and Du Plessis is the in-form hooker of SA... Looking at form and SuperRugby performances, there are a lot of other guys I'd pick ahead of PdV choices (Vermeulen vs. Spies, Kankowski vs. Spies, Alberts vs. Spies, Josh Strauss vs. Spies, whoever vs. Habana, Lambie vs. Morné Steyn)...

Now the issue seems to be the injuries and they probably will have some space, but once the RWC will be started, I think a couple of these form-problems could return!

Yeah, I'm just a bit worried that our starting team for the coming RWC won't be close to the form team. I have some faith that these guys can do it but it is very much a case of this RWC being two years too far away for some of our players. Same can be said probably but 2 years too early for Eng and Aus. Being in their back yard, if NZ don't take this one it would be the choke to end all chokes, seriously.

If I'm correct, he scored 3 tries against the Highlanders in round 18
Ah, I remember him!
He had a blinder that match, think he played well the match after - don't think I've really noticed him much else, but same as Sam, when I watched Warratahs I was looking out for Beale (and earlier on Mitchell) rather than anyone else :p

With the 'Tahs it's all about Apocolypse Polota Nau, Beale and earlier on, Drew Mitchell. Carter had a good couple of matches, also scoring against the Blues in the play offs, if I'm correct. Despite that, not good enough for the season's XV

Got to admit not seen much of WP Nel this season, was he better than Franks and Afoa?

I think his swan dive made him a hero haha

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO,

1. Wyatt Crockett Phenomenal scrummaging, very mobile, popped up with a few tries too.
2. TPN Destructive runner, tore defences apart early on in the season. Bismarck du Plessis would have come in second.
3. John Afoa Best season for the Blues ever. Good luck to him in Ulster. Any of the Franks brothers could have come in second.
4. Nathan Sharpe Did his work, led the Force well and by example.
5. Brad Thorn Tireless workhorse, shining example on and off the pitch - respect to him. Coming close - Jarred Hoeata, Ali Williams.
6. Scott Higginbotham Rock of the Reds' pack. Real unsung hero of the season. Adam Thompson deserves a honorable mention though.
7. Matt Todd Stepped up and did superbly well in McCaw's absence, big future ahead of this kid. Beau Robinson deserves an honorable mention.
8. Kieran Read Was the rock and the leader for the Crusaders in McCaw and Carter's absence, provided all the experience. Messam comes in second.
9. Will Genia Has to be him - Reds' outstanding player of the season. Top player.
10. Dan Carter Even when he's not at his best, he sparkled for the Crusaders. Sometimes he makes things look so easy its simple to forget his contribution to the game. Quade Cooper will understandably feel hard done by, but the two occasions that the Reds came up against the Crusaders he vanished and was clearly second best.
11. Digby Ioane The sensation that has taken Super Rugby by storm. No other winger has made scoring, and celebrating, tries look so good. Drew Mitchell would have been a contender if only he had the chance to continue his sparkling form early on.
12. Benson Stanley Surprise package, but he's always one of the hardest workers for the Blues. Rock solid in defence every game. Honorable mentions - SBW, JdV and Conrad Smith.
13. Robbie Fruean Blockbusting midfielder with top attitude. His tackle on AAC against the Brumbies epitomizes the man, never gives up. Fourie and Jarred Payne were just short.
14. Zac Guildford This boy's got some wheels on him. One of Crusaders' most consistent performers this year. Looks for work all over the pitch. Sean Maitland, Kade Poki, Rod Davies came close too.
15 Isaia Toeava He's been out for a long part of the season but when he started for the Blues they absolutely sparkled. This boy is quick and strong in equal measure and his penetration from fullback is outstanding. Honourable mention has to go to Kurtley Beale of the Waratahs.

Latest posts