• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby - Trans Tasman (Round 5)

So they finally worked out how to stop the crusaders from winning a competition: create one where a different team can win without having to beat the crusaders, create one where the crusaders can miss out even when they win every game, and create one where the crusaders dont get the chance to prevent other teams from making the final by beating them.

great that they didnt make it, but have to admit its not a proper competition.

Last edited:
So they finally worked out how to stop the crusaders from winning a competition: create one where a different team can win without having to beat the crusaders, create one where the crusaders can miss out even when they win every game, and create one where the crusaders dont get the chance to prevent other teams from making the final by beating them.

great that they didnt make it, but have to admit its not a proper competition.
…thats how the sharks made the final one year

Last edited:
…thats how the sharks made the final one year
The difference between that case and this one is that for the SR finals, you generally had the best team reaching the final anyway, usually after beating the second-best in the semis/quarters, so the final was the best against the 3/4/5th.
I don't have a problem with that in the sense that eventually the best team actually won. I for one don't give a **** if the fifth is better than the supposed second. The system, by design, was supposed to find the best, not a pecking order of all teams, and in doing that, it was successful.

With this years system, you have a team that could beat any of the finalists 9 out of 10 times. It's not just the pecking order that is ruined here.

The difference between that case and this one is that for the SR finals, you generally had the best team reaching the final anyway, usually after beating the second-best in the semis/quarters, so the final was the best against the 3/4/5th.
I don't have a problem with that in the sense that eventually the best team actually won. I for one don't give a **** if the fifth is better than the supposed second. The system, by design, was supposed to find the best, not a pecking order of all teams, and in doing that, it was successful.

With this years system, you have a team that could beat any of the finalists 9 out of 10 times. It's not just the pecking order that is ruined here.
The sharks made that final without playing the two best Nz teams that year and then lost, not a stretch to say they weren't one of the top two teams

The sharks made that final without playing the two best Nz teams that year and then lost, not a stretch to say they weren't one of the top two teams
But that is, PRECISELY, the point. The team that won was either the best or had to beat the best to get there.
No team is better than the crusaders (today) nor beat them to get to the final.

Sean Wainui scores 5 tries to set a new single match record for the Chiefs. o_O

Last edited:
Hurricanes must feel left out being the only nz team not to make a final this year. Maybe they should have a comp where the team with the yellowest jersey wins. No games necessary.

That Reds Canes game had some real head scratchers. Cards ruined what was building up to be a fantastic game.

But that is, PRECISELY, the point. The team that won was either the best or had to beat the best to get there.
No team is better than the crusaders (today) nor beat them to get to the final.
Yeah, I was agreeing with that, just saying we knew that's how to structure a Comp so the crusaders don't win it nearly a decade ago…which was the original point

They could have just continued with the standings as they were for Aotearoa and AU. Would have been a close approximation to a normal SR season. Glad they didn't though, evil CruSaders winning every year is just boring.

They could have just continued with the standings as they were for Aotearoa and AU. Would have been a close approximation to a normal SR season. Glad they didn't though, evil CruSaders winning every year is just boring.
I saw someone did it, and the Aussie team were still the bottom five and I think it was just a blues v saders final

Thank god that's over. If we have to do TT again next season you can hand me the nails for Aus rugby.

Thank god that's over. If we have to do TT again next season you can hand me the nails for Aus rugby.
hope we learn the format of any comp sooner rather than later....just to avoid speculation, this really was the the worst way to structure things to show any discrepancy between NZ and Aus, at least if all the games have been indispersend, all teams would have had wins amongst the losses

Latest posts