• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Unlocked: Round 1 [9 - 10 October 2020]

It was the first game, so can't really read too much into it. Plus I got the idea that Jake started a weaker team on purpose against the Griquas in order to have some of the big guns available this week, while also giving the guys who are knocking on the doors a run out against the Griquas.

As for the game, I thought the Bulls were their own worst enemy. Travis Ishmaiel's break down the line, with Aplon inside him, should have been a try, how do you not pass the ball inside for Aplon to score?? And all our backline players, got the break, gets over the advantage line, and then gets isolated and the ball got turnover. It was so frustrating to watch. The Bulls forwards needs to secure the ball at the rucks. But that is something that will sort itself out as the players gets more fit.

The Griquas I thought were better prepared, especially for a team that last played a competitive match 14 months ago. And the little Scrumhalf who got MOTM as well as George Whitehead at flyhalf made a massive difference to their structure and discipline. Plus Sekekete was a menace in the rucks.

For the Bulls, the only guy that really impressed me was Marco "Eskom" Van Staden. I was a live wire, and if it wasn't for him in the Bulls pack, we would've definitely lost the match.

I do however think that referee Marius v/d Westhuizen could have been more harsh on the Griquas scrum. Their props dropped the bind way too often, only for him to reset the scrums.

Saw the start of the sharks game, they looked pretty good, surprised to see the result was so close. Libbok looked good, what's his story, is he the real deal?
Libbok was with the Bulls prior to the Lockdown, and he played flyhalf and was back-up to Steyn at the Bulls.

He was of course a Junior Springbok along with Damian Willemse, Embrose Papier, Wandisile Simelane and Stedman Gans. Libbok is a pretty good player, I think it's more of finding at which position will he be the best.

Sharks were the team most hit with injuries and it shows. Lucky to win against a plucky Lions. Think the Bulls also got a good scare. It will be interesting to see how the Cheetahs go against sterner opposition. There certainly was a lot of accuracy in their attacking play.

It was the first game, so can't really read too much into it. Plus I got the idea that Jake started a weaker team on purpose against the Griquas in order to have some of the big guns available this week, while also giving the guys who are knocking on the doors a run out against the Griquas.

As for the game, I thought the Bulls were their own worst enemy. Travis Ishmaiel's break down the line, with Aplon inside him, should have been a try, how do you not pass the ball inside for Aplon to score?? And all our backline players, got the break, gets over the advantage line, and then gets isolated and the ball got turnover. It was so frustrating to watch. The Bulls forwards needs to secure the ball at the rucks. But that is something that will sort itself out as the players gets more fit.

The Griquas I thought were better prepared, especially for a team that last played a competitive match 14 months ago. And the little Scrumhalf who got MOTM as well as George Whitehead at flyhalf made a massive difference to their structure and discipline. Plus Sekekete was a menace in the rucks.

For the Bulls, the only guy that really impressed me was Marco "Eskom" Van Staden. I was a live wire, and if it wasn't for him in the Bulls pack, we would've definitely lost the match.

I do however think that referee Marius v/d Westhuizen could have been more harsh on the Griquas scrum. Their props dropped the bind way too often, only for him to reset the scrums.

Libbok was with the Bulls prior to the Lockdown, and he played flyhalf and was back-up to Steyn at the Bulls.

He was of course a Junior Springbok along with Damian Willemse, Embrose Papier, Wandisile Simelane and Stedman Gans. Libbok is a pretty good player, I think it's more of finding at which position will he be the best.
I don't know much about professional rugby in South Africa. Are the Griquas and Pumas high level club teams that were elevated this one time for Super Rugby Unlocked?

I don't know much about professional rugby in South Africa. Are the Griquas and Pumas high level club teams that were elevated this one time for Super Rugby Unlocked?
They are the next best (from the old "big 5" SA SR teams) and compete with those bigger unions in the Currie Cup. There are 14 Unions in SA, roughly correlating to our provinces, which play provincial rugby (Currie Cup and CC 1st division). They've both been somewhat competitive in CC though managing without the budgets of the bigger unions. The fact that the big Unions usually play without their Bokke in CC somewhat levels the playing field. Traditionally both have been more competitive than the Eastern province (Southern Kings).

Somewhat interesting: The first Currie Cup was held in 1884 between the WP, Griquas, Transvaal and Eastern Province. Griquas hosted and WP won. The actual trophy currently used was giving to the Griquas in 1892 by the touring British and Irish Lions to the Griquas who faired the best against the tourists losing only 3-0. So the Griquas have a big part in the history of SA rugby and in particular the Currie Cup (named after Sir Donald Currie who sponsored the cup).

The Griquas and the Pumas received franchise status just like the Bulls, Sharks, Lions, Stormers, Cheetahs and Kings.

But if we look at domestic competition, the Griquas and Pumas have always been in the top tier of the Currie Cup alongside the other big unions. The Griquas have even won the Currie Cup in the past.

They were "elevated" to the Super Rugby Unlocked tournament, purely because they have the franchise status, which gave SARU the opportunity to have a "Super Rugby Tournament" with all the local franchise teams involved. But essentially it's just another Currie Cup Premier Division tournament, with the Super Rugby teams wearing their Super Rugby kits, and the Stormers are called the Stormers and not Western Province.

On that note I actually hope the "franchize" lines get blurred further and that the Stormers can actually play as Western Province. I've heard rumors it is being considered. We've already gone from the initial Stormers solid black to blue and then a hoop and more white hoops. The Stormers jersey is at the moment nothing other than an updated WP jersey.

Latest posts