gmMdPGA.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

a2r4rag.png
Er9w71N.png
5axbS4W.png

Venue: DHL Newlands
Time: 19:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Finally a game at home for us (Stormers/WP?). I FEEL this match will determine whether we can see our tournament as a positive or negative. Its all perception of course but this match is make or break for me as a fan not in that it will determine the ***le (think that ship has sailed for us) but more as an indication of where we are at as a team.

Lions and Sharks will close the gap on the Bulls alongside whichever team between us and the Free Staters win out but in this format the conclusion is all but forgone.

Sharks
Pumas
Cheetahs

Just a note on why the Sharks might not be as fluent and on point now compared to the original Super rugby
Our backline in that comp was
15. Fassi (Rising star, definite future Springbok)
14. Nkosi (Springbok)
13 Am (Springbok)
12. Esterhuizen (Springbok)
11. Mapimpi (Springbok)
10. Bosch (Springbok)

All these players are still contracted to us and should still feature in the Pro 16. Except for Esterhuizen

post lockdown our Backline has been
15 Libbok (Yet to show potential)
14 Tambwe ( FAST. good but probably never a springbok)
13 Am
12. Marius Louw ( good young player)
11. Werner Kok (Recent Blitzbok sevens convert)\
10.Bosch

So with injuries and short term loans to Japan, our backline has been decimated. everyone speaks of when the sharks will perform like they did pre lockdown but the truth is they wont because the backline is completely different. Untill we get our premier combos back then we simply cant be the team that rose to the top of the OG Super rugby log. These new players has potential, love that they now get a chance along with Jeremy Ward. The team that has played in Super rugby unlocked has been nowhere near the team that the Sharks would have put out for the OG Super rugby.

Sharks
Pumas
Cheetahs

Just a note on why the Sharks might not be as fluent and on point now compared to the original Super rugby
Our backline in that comp was
15. Fassi (Rising star, definite future Springbok)
14. Nkosi (Springbok)
13 Am (Springbok)
12. Esterhuizen (Springbok)
11. Mapimpi (Springbok)
10. Bosch (Springbok)

All these players are still contracted to us and should still feature in the Pro 16. Except for Esterhuizen

post lockdown our Backline has been
15 Libbok (Yet to show potential)
14 Tambwe ( FAST. good but probably never a springbok)
13 Am
12. Marius Louw ( good young player)
11. Werner Kok (Recent Blitzbok sevens convert)\
10.Bosch

So with injuries and short term loans to Japan, our backline has been decimated. everyone speaks of when the sharks will perform like they did pre lockdown but the truth is they wont because the backline is completely different. Untill we get our premier combos back then we simply cant be the team that rose to the top of the OG Super rugby log. These new players has potential, love that they now get a chance along with Jeremy Ward. The team that has played in Super rugby unlocked has been nowhere near the team that the Sharks would have put out for the OG Super rugby.
You also lost Louis Schreuder at 9 who I thought had his best year yet. Wasn't he captain also? His experience must be missed. I mean Bosch is still very young despite having been around for a while.

Fassi was the MVP when people speak of the Sahrks backline Pre-Covid.

You also lost Louis Schreuder at 9 who I thought had his best year yet. Wasn't he captain also? His experience must be missed. I mean Bosch is still very young despite having been around for a while.

Fassi was the MVP when people speak of the Sahrks backline Pre-Covid.

They might have lost Shreuder, but I think the Sharks gained from playing Nohamba. He has been one of the standout scrumhalves so far.

They might have lost Shreuder, but I think the Sharks gained from playing Nohamba. He has been one of the standout scrumhalves so far.
I don't know. I mean I rate Nohamba as a busy little scrummie. I guess my thinking is more along the lines of the Sahrks backline is laden with running threats Nohamba is 'win-more' if you are winning in any case whereas they could do with a little extra experience and tactical nouse. Even their pack lacks experience.

Yes never liked Schreuder, always preferred Cameron Wright before Nohamba became known. But I must say last year he really grew into his leadership role. He was solid and had the calming influence for our x factor players to shine. He was fit as an OX and his defence and Box kicking was world class. In retrospect he is a huge loss. Nohamba is going to be good but look at what is happening with Jantjies now at the Stormers, sometimes that experience comes in handy when dealing with adversity on and off the field.

Our pack has lacked experience since we lost the du Preez twins and Jacques Vermeulen and company. No it's a light on experience and literally light on the scales pack. That's why they said, ok our forwards is not as strong as in past years, but our backline is packed with Boks so let's play that type of game. The only reason we did so well in Super rugby was because that pack turned out to be underated and was one of the hardest working forward units I've seen in a long time in the black jerseys.

Also can anyone decode who got Covid in the Sharks squad. The coach said it's a starter and two bench players.

Last week Henco Venter was captain. Now he is not in the matchday squad. So maybe he was the starter who had covid, did Notshe play last week? He's also not in the squad.
The bench players is probably going to be the million dollar question.

Wow! What awesome highlights. I wish I could have seen the game, but unfortunately they're not showing Unlocked here in America.

Last edited:
Good win for the Stormers. We are a different team at home. Pack dominated in large parts and though it took 2, sometimes 3 players Frans Steyn was largely nullified. That Cheetahs back 3 showed why are feared (that Specman try was magic) but our own were excellent as well. Log starting to look more and more as expected apart from Sharks down a tad and Bulls up with the shuffles happening in the forced 'off season'.

I really don't know why the Sharks signed Manie Libbok. Yes Fassie is injured but jeez !! Could have rather signed williams from the Pumas if we really had to sign someone.

How does Marius Louw not get injured with the way he plays !! Human wrecking ball

So another weekend where a game was postponed due to COVID. The Pumas was supposed to play the Lions, but had several of their forwards test positive for COVID on Friday.

Now the fear is that because of the amount of forwards that tested positive, the possibility is there that the Pumas vs. Bulls game might also not happen. Which would mean that the Bulls will get 2 points and finish on 21 points. which would mean that whoever wins against the Stormers vs. Sharks will have to win with a bonus point, And by a very large points differential margin to be crowned champions.

As it stands the Bulls have 19 points with a points differential of +70
Stormers have 17 points with pd of +28
Sharks have 17 points with pd of +6

So if the Bulls don't play, they will be on 21 points with an unchanged pd
So the Stormers will need to win by +43 points and score 3 more tries than the Sharks
The Sharks will need to win by +65 points and score 3 more tries than the Stormers.

Isn't it that either win with a BP or win with a huge margin? IE a win with a BP = 5 log points so winner could go to 22 log points. A lot of ifs though.

Firstly the Bulls Pumas game would need to get postponed (if the ***le was on the line they could always make an arrangement I am sure and they will only need to make a call in the week so they will know if that is the case).

Secondly I see the Stormers and Sharks as being very evenly matched so can't see any team winning by +3 tries. Stormers now regretting that huge margin in the loss to the Bulls as it goes both ways and our narrow win margin vs the Pumas. Best chance for a Stormers ***le would be go for tries (and get them!) and hope the Sharks prioritize shots at goal. Bit of a high risk, high reward strat to secure the BP. 43 points is too much to make up especially vs the Sharks who are traditionally very stingy though the game vs the Griquas was oddly big ITO points (33-34).

Isn't it that either win with a BP or win with a huge margin? IE a win with a BP = 5 log points so winner could go to 22 log points. A lot of ifs though.

Firstly the Bulls Pumas game would need to get postponed (if the ***le was on the line they could always make an arrangement I am sure and they will only need to make a call in the week so they will know if that is the case).

Secondly I see the Stormers and Sharks as being very evenly matched so can't see any team winning by +3 tries. Stormers now regretting that huge margin in the loss to the Bulls as it goes both ways and our narrow win margin vs the Pumas. Best chance for a Stormers ***le would be go for tries (and get them!) and hope the Sharks prioritize shots at goal. Bit of a high risk, high reward strat to secure the BP. 43 points is too much to make up especially vs the Sharks who are traditionally very stingy though the game vs the Griquas was oddly big ITO points (33-34).

My math was just terrible. Sorry about that, yeah, a win with a BP will be enough for either the Sharks or Stormers to overtake the Bulls if the Bulls can't play.

The problem is however is that SARU has now created a precedent with the Lions vs. Cheetahs game in calling it a draw, so they don't really have a choice in doing the same with this past weekend's game, or if this upcoming weekend's game will be postponed.

There is only 6 days left in any case. So they can't really postpone any game any more. The Currie Cup is set to start next weekend so there's no wiggle room left.

Makes it interesting at least LOL. I mean, its not like this means anything- not really.

Had a look at the results and see the margin in the Bulls-Stormers match wa 39-6!! That's huge. If it was something a little more modest, say 19-11 that'd be 50 less points differential we would have had to make up.

I for one am happy with the Stormers season though. I said the game vs the Cheetahs will be the one that makes or breaks it for me and it totally made it IMO. Sharks if we could manage it would be icing. We certainly have a lot of room for improvement still but Gelant has continued being excellent at 15 for us. Him and Willemse and Jantjies and Willemse look like they form a very dangerous set of key combinations. Willemse has settled more and more from game to game. With Gelant there it also takes pressure off of Willemse and he now has the confidence that yes, he is our 1st choice 10 and seen as an out-and-out 10. Our pack has always been solid. I still feel we are a tad light in the locks but with PSDT and kolisi set to return that will be offset a tad.

Main issue long term for us looking ahead at the Pro series is our squad is not that deep. Injuries could hurt us big time.

It is BS that the Stormers only have 2 games at home and 4 on the road and then the Bulls get 4 at home and only have to travel twice. In particular it was huge that the Bulls hosted us in our only match. Both teams look a lot better at home than on the road. If the Bulls do get a forced tie I will see that as levelling what is otherwise an unfair playing field ;P

Makes it interesting at least LOL. I mean, its not like this means anything- not really.

Had a look at the results and see the margin in the Bulls-Stormers match wa 39-6!! That's huge. If it was something a little more modest, say 19-11 that'd be 50 less points differential we would have had to make up.

I for one am happy with the Stormers season though. I said the game vs the Cheetahs will be the one that makes or breaks it for me and it totally made it IMO. Sharks if we could manage it would be icing. We certainly have a lot of room for improvement still but Gelant has continued being excellent at 15 for us. Him and Willemse and Jantjies and Willemse look like they form a very dangerous set of key combinations. Willemse has settled more and more from game to game. With Gelant there it also takes pressure off of Willemse and he now has the confidence that yes, he is our 1st choice 10 and seen as an out-and-out 10. Our pack has always been solid. I still feel we are a tad light in the locks but with PSDT and kolisi set to return that will be offset a tad.

Main issue long term for us looking ahead at the Pro series is our squad is not that deep. Injuries could hurt us big time.

It is BS that the Stormers only have 2 games at home and 4 on the road and then the Bulls get 4 at home and only have to travel twice. In particular it was huge that the Bulls hosted us in our only match. Both teams look a lot better at home than on the road. If the Bulls do get a forced tie I will see that as levelling what is otherwise an unfair playing field ;P
The Bulls only hosted 3 games. The Sharks, Stormers and Griquas. They played away to the Cheetahs and the Lions.

I don't know why the Stormers had only 2 home games though.

The Bulls only hosted 3 games. The Sharks, Stormers and Griquas. They played away to the Cheetahs and the Lions.

I don't know why the Stormers had only 2 home games though.
Bulls hosting the Pumas would make it 4 @ home though just like us traveling to Durban would make it us playing away for the 4th time. But I am nitpicking. Just found it odd and it could have major implications seeing as how big home advantage is turning out to be.

Latest posts