• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super shockers! why are they leaving?

why did mcallister leave ?
[/b]

Unfortunately he left because he likes money...

Some of the claims, that he did what was best for his family etc, are a little hard to take when he up and left his wife (now ex I believe) and young daughter behind in NZ.

I still struggle to understand how on earth some of these NH teams fit all these big name players under the salary cap?! Maybe some of the NH posters can clear that up, is this just a loose cap rather than a strict limit?

I still struggle to understand how on earth some of these NH teams fit all these big name players under the salary cap?! Maybe some of the NH posters can clear that up, is this just a loose cap rather than a strict limit? [/b]

No, there is a strict limit.

However, there are clever loopholes which can be exploited. For example, older players can be signed up as player-coaches, reducing the amount they are paid as a member of the playing staff. Similarly, young players can sign dual registration with a club in a lower division, again cutting the amount their main club might pay them.

And then there is also the 'rumour' of how teams like Leicester manage to afford so many top names. Apparently generous companies and other benefactors are willing to sponsor players, again reducing the amount they are actually paid by the club. Not that I would accuse our rival Tiggers of using any sort of underhand tactics to get ahead of course.

So wait... how much of a pay-raise has a player like byron kelleher made in making the move to NH?

will smit and matfield be returning for the 2011 world cup. i hope so. also will the y still be elegible for the boks, and will the nz players going to europe still be eligible for the blacks? [/b]

NZRFU would never allow players overseas to play for the All Blacks. If that were to happen, you'd see a lot more players chase the big bucks in Europe. We want our best players to stay in NZ, so the younger generation can play alongside them, and learn from them.

The Northern Hemisphere teams are like retirement villages for the SANZAR greats. [/b]
well it's not going to be like that soon, you've got guys leaving in their prime now! mcallistair is a prime example.

as for them leaving for the money, i don't blame them, i'd do it too. they only have 10 or 12years max of rugby in them so they have to use those years wisely and make as much money as possible as that is what is going to get you through retirement comfortably, not a pat on the back from everyone because you stayed loyal to NZ rugby for 10 or 12 years.

<div class='quotemain'> The Northern Hemisphere teams are like retirement villages for the SANZAR greats. [/b]
well it's not going to be like that soon, you've got guys leaving in their prime now! mcallistair is a prime example.

as for them leaving for the money, i don't blame them, i'd do it too. they only have 10 or 12years max of rugby in them so they have to use those years wisely and make as much money as possible as that is what is going to get you through retirement comfortably, not a pat on the back from everyone because you stayed loyal to NZ rugby for 10 or 12 years.

[/b][/quote]

Top post. :cheers:

Who in their right mind would say no to the big bucks...!!! Ka-Ching!!!

I'm over it..

If some guys wanna be unambitious and move up north that's fine with me.

Fortunately there are players who wanna be part of our nations' and it's important and cherished sporting history.

If I had a penny for everytime I've heard someone regret auctioning off their talents to the highest bidder..

Yeah I was going to say, Toulon have one of the most star studded teams on the planet and they're in France's 1st division or something like that!

There is no way in hell a team like that could have those amount of players with a salary cap, sneaky tricks or not.

Latest posts