• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Switching positions

N

NHH

Hey everybody, currently I play on the wing for my local U18 team and I played it for my highschool team also but I'm beginning find it somewhat boring. I only get to make a few tackles a game because the ball rarely makes it out that far and our outside centre likes to run and is very good at it (averaged around 4 tries a game in highschool, and 1 or 2 in the club) so I only get a couple runs in a game. Its to late to try and change positions for this season (final game is next week) but I was thinking about the next highschool season. Im to small for centre but I was thinking about scrum-half. I've got good hands and can spin the ball pretty well to both sides and I can spot holes/weaknesses in the opposition pretty quickly. I know I could be much better than our current school scrum half (he's absolutely awful) but I was wondering what I have to work on to be a truly good scrum-half. Any help would be greately appreciated.

Practice box kicking and passing off the ground. If you can pass well off the ground it saves time over grabbing the ball and taking a step back before you pass.

Im about 174cm tall and about 66kg, small I know but the season doesn't start for quite a while so I have time to train. As for weaknesses I know I have to work my acceleration from a dead stop and my kicking is ok but it can easily be better.

Also, whats a good weight to be for a scrum-half/what muscle groups are the most important?

Hard to say about what a good weight is.. depends on your body type. You want to be lean and quick IMHO and experience. AS for muscle groups, working your quads so that you can keep bending down for the ball at scrums and rucks, and I would recommend strengthening your abs and shoulder girdle to keep your core strong for passing.

Train for endurance.

Well the ABs apparently try 2 make every player at least 90 kgs. However Nick Evans was 85 kgs. That would be the international standard though.

Latest posts