• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

T.M.O request made by player WTF?

J

jawmalawm24

I was watching a Top14 match yesterday I think it was between Toulon and Bourgoin and one of the players from Bourgoin went for a penalty kick. He wasn't awarded it and so insisted the referee take another look with the video.

Now since when was a player allowed to request a video replay for a penalty kick or even a referee for that matter? I don't think I've ever seen it done before but after watching it I have to say he did have a good case but even still I think the referee has just left himself right open after something like this and maybe he should of just made a final decision rather than let a player make him look at the replay.

I've seen it requested before, I was watching Wales v Italy in the u20's World Cup last year, and Dan Biggar kicked a long range drop goal which looked to go over, but the ref said it missed and called a 22 drop out. Biggar asked to go to the TMO, but wasn't allowed to because there wasn't a TMO. If there had been then Wales would have had the droop goal, because the coverage had a second look at it, and it went over. So I don't think it's that bad an idea since it's useful for accuracy of calls, but then again it does make you wonder if refs are too reliant on the TMO.

I've always thought they should use the TMO for other things other than if the try has been scored, I mean, they often show you players breaking the rules/foul play etc. why can't they use it for that...maybe we would see a decrease in such behavior.

Makes the game too start stop if one can go to the TMO for everything. Maybe if the TMO is able to directly contact the ref durig the game, like an 'assistant referee' can, it could be promising, especially in situations like these drop goals.

Shouldn't the assistant refs had been standing next to the posts?

I've seen refs go to the TMO to see if a drop goal or Penalty has gone over, where it's been to close to call. Some refs need to grow a pair though, some tend to ask the TMO on every try! One of the reasons I like Nigel Owens, even if he does get some calls wrong, atleast he calls most try's without the aid of the TMO.

Also, why do TMO's always take so long?

Probably checking and re-checking...I mean usually you'll have around 3-4 camera angles and you might have to go back threw them over and over again.

Well, obviously they shouldn't do it all the time but I mean, it could be used for more than "in the act of scoring" situations. Like to see if a player moved in the way of the chaser, like for instance, when Delon Armitage deliberately got in the way of BOD on Saturday and should have gotten a yellow card, the TMO could have been consulted to prove it, because it was glaringly obvious on second inspection.

Remember the one where Leinster fly half Felipe Contepomi kicked a DG that went between the posts in a force eight gale and was then blown straight back between the posts?

Did the ref go to the TMO then?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Mar 2 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Remember the one where Leinster fly half Felipe Contepomi kicked a DG that went between the posts in a force eight gale and was then blown straight back between the posts?

Did the ref go to the TMO then?[/b]
Nah he knew the laws, it was good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Mar 2 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Probably checking and re-checking...I mean usually you'll have around 3-4 camera angles and you might have to go back threw them over and over again.

Well, obviously they shouldn't do it all the time but I mean, it could be used for more than "in the act of scoring" situations. Like to see if a player moved in the way of the chaser, like for instance, when Delon Armitage deliberately got in the way of BOD on Saturday and should have gotten a yellow card, the TMO could have been consulted to prove it, because it was glaringly obvious on second inspection.[/b]

That was actually an ELV and it was trialled in the Currie Cup last year but it failed miserably. Case in point was the much anticipated Bulls vs Sharks where the ref fully exercised this rule and TOTALLY ruined the game. It was bad. The game actually lasted 100 minutes. The ref would catch something in the corner of his eye but would let play continue. When play stopped he'd go to the TMO and ask him to check incident. So then the TMO would rewind play and check out what happened. The crowd, the players, the SA refereeing board, and basically everybody involved, shot down the experiment.

Some quotes:
http://www.keo.co.za/2008/07/05/blue-bulls...arks-0-ko-1705/
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The game started off at a frantic pace but was ruined by the unwanted involvement of the TMO, with numerous referrals taking five minutes each and hence slowing down the game. Sharks captain Johann Muller summed it up: “It’s terrible, I think it’s killing the game. We have to warm-up after every disruption and get back into rhythm.â€[/b]

Some more...
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/cc/news/1014320.htm
...The introduction of time-saving ELVs to the Southern Hemisphere was however cancelled out today by an inexplicable amount of Television Match Official (TMO) referrals, the final whistle blowing well after 100 minutes of rugby.

The 'official nightmare' began right from the first minute of the game, where Derick Kuün was sin-binned for an alleged infringement - though tele-replays failed to provide any proof of the said act...

...Before half-time JC Fortuin referred once again to the TMO for an alleged eye-gouging on Pedrie Wannenburg, much to the growing frustration of the Loftus faithful who had to sit through a number of such unnecessary interruptions on a crisp winters evening in Pretoria...

...In fact, for the better part of the game, referee JC Fortuin failed to commit himself to any decision and opted to refer each one to the TMO - completely killing the spirit of the game with prolonged pauses in play...[/b]

Although it was a utter and complete failure, at least we can say we've tried it. It has been brought up in the past but it can now be put to rest... FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Mar 2 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Mar 2 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, obviously they shouldn't do it all the time but I mean, it could be used for more than "in the act of scoring" situations. Like to see if a player moved in the way of the chaser, like for instance, when Delon Armitage deliberately got in the way of BOD on Saturday and should have gotten a yellow card, the TMO could have been consulted to prove it, because it was glaringly obvious on second inspection.[/b]

That was actually an ELV and it was trialled in the Currie Cup last year but it failed miserably. Case in point was the much anticipated Bulls vs Sharks where the ref fully exercised this rule and TOTALLY ruined the game. It was bad. The game actually lasted 100 minutes. The ref would catch something in the corner of his eye but would let play continue. When play stopped he'd go to the TMO and ask him to check incident. So then the TMO would rewind play and check out what happened. The crowd, the players, the SA refereeing board, and basically everybody involved, shot down the experiment.

Some quotes:
http://www.keo.co.za/2008/07/05/blue-bulls...arks-0-ko-1705/
The game started off at a frantic pace but was ruined by the unwanted involvement of the TMO, with numerous referrals taking five minutes each and hence slowing down the game. Sharks captain Johann Muller summed it up: “It’s terrible, I think it’s killing the game. We have to warm-up after every disruption and get back into rhythm.â€[/b]

Some more...
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/cc/news/1014320.htm
...The introduction of time-saving ELVs to the Southern Hemisphere was however cancelled out today by an inexplicable amount of Television Match Official (TMO) referrals, the final whistle blowing well after 100 minutes of rugby.

The 'official nightmare' began right from the first minute of the game, where Derick Kuün was sin-binned for an alleged infringement - though tele-replays failed to provide any proof of the said act...

...Before half-time JC Fortuin referred once again to the TMO for an alleged eye-gouging on Pedrie Wannenburg, much to the growing frustration of the Loftus faithful who had to sit through a number of such unnecessary interruptions on a crisp winters evening in Pretoria...

...In fact, for the better part of the game, referee JC Fortuin failed to commit himself to any decision and opted to refer each one to the TMO - completely killing the spirit of the game with prolonged pauses in play...[/b]

Although it was a utter and complete failure, at least we can say we've tried it. It has been brought up in the past but it can now be put to rest... FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!
[/b][/quote]

This sounds like the referee was being a bit obtuse. Methinks it's not impossible that he was out to sabotage, just saying.

The video is up on Rugby Dump's website (http://www.rugbydump.com/)

Personally, I think the ref should have grown a pair and stuck to his decision here. They are meant to be the authoritative figure on the pitch, and here he is just showing he can be bossed around by players.

On Pentalies, the linesmans job is to be underneath the posts, on dropkicks its different.
I don't think it'll effect the game to much, it'll take seconds to check a dropkick or pentaly.

Latest posts