• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tackling tips for a back?

winger11

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I used to be a no 7 and found tackling in the forwards pretty easy but I changed to a winger/ centre 2 years ago.

Last year I played at a lot lower level where I could just rely on the fact I was faster and bigger then most players to get them down, didn't use much technique.

Now I am playing against a lot of 18 and 19 year olds who are professional prospects etc. and am finding it a lot harder to consistently make tackles playing in the backline.

I am still fast and strong enough to be effective but I often seem to find myself falling off tackles or just sort of flopping at players ankles. When a player is running at me in space and at pace I never feel confident.

Its not a question of desire to make the tackle, i'm never afraid i just think my technique is off.

any tips would be great!

there is another winger on my team who is much smaller and weaker then me but makes really big hits, would love to get some tips on making big standout tackles for training to show off to the coach as well!?

1409200452579629.png

It's a tough one to advise on, as without seeing how far you are off the tackle it's difficult to advise on technique.

What i would say is if you're flopping off, then it sounds as though you're timing is off by a bit. Front on you should be hitting through the player, so it's all abotu footwork and keeping the attacker square on.

Side on you should be making contact on the hip and wrapping and sliding down tightening your grip as you go..

What i'd suggest, is if you get the other back three players, and the other outside centre and work on your one on one and two on two tackling, if you're working with another centre communicat who's going low (inside man) who's going high, or if one on ones making sure you don't allow them enough room. working in the 15 and make sure you keep on the balls of your toes and control the space - it's ok to go backwards to make an effective tackle so you don't HAVE to stay dead in front - show the outside/or move them onto your strong shoulder - and keep moving so you don't' get isolated.

I could be off, but it sounds like the issue is that you're holding off committing to the tackle because you're not sure where the player is going to be and as such going too late and too upright a lot of the time. Is that the issue here?

Latest posts