• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team names

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 6 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why did all the teams drop their location names and just keep the nicknames? The only teams who haven't are the Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs and Western Force. We should revert back to team names because fans should be prouder about tribalism. I never knew there was a city called Lions in South Africa or province called Crusaders in NZ. One thing the NH have over us is they have kept their location name e.g Munster, Toulon, Saracens.[/b]

The NZ sides dropped the names because they are franchises comprised of provinces.

The Hurricanes are made up of Taranaki, Wellington, Hawkes Bay and Manawatu in Div 1 and Poverty Bay, Wanganui, Horowhenua-Kapiti, East Cost and Wairarapa-Bush in Div 2 for instance. They all contribute players both through the main side and youth sides, and the side is just as reliant on these smaller unions for fan support as in the big centres.

Singleing out one city out of all of those and saying that the francise belongs to them doesnt unite these provinces, it does the opposite.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Jul 13 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 6 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did all the teams drop their location names and just keep the nicknames? The only teams who haven't are the Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs and Western Force. We should revert back to team names because fans should be prouder about tribalism. I never knew there was a city called Lions in South Africa or province called Crusaders in NZ. One thing the NH have over us is they have kept their location name e.g Munster, Toulon, Saracens.[/b]

The NZ sides dropped the names because they are franchises comprised of provinces.

The Hurricanes are made up of Taranaki, Wellington, Hawkes Bay and Manawatu in Div 1 and Poverty Bay, Wanganui, Horowhenua-Kapiti, East Cost and Wairarapa-Bush in Div 2 for instance. They all contribute players both through the main side and youth sides, and the side is just as reliant on these smaller unions for fan support as in the big centres.

Singleing out one city out of all of those and saying that the francise belongs to them doesnt unite these provinces, it does the opposite.
[/b][/quote]
Bugger....just what I was going to mention.

Continuing on from danger:

Blues - Auckland, Nothland, North Harbour
Chiefs - Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Counties-Manukau
Hurricanes - Wellington, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, Manawatu, etc..
Highlanders - Otago, Southland, North Otago
Crusaders - Canterbury, Tasman

The same is for the SA franchises...

I still don't agree with it thought. I thought Auckland Blues and Wellington Hurricanes were representing the city.

The point is, nicknames are just a nickname. If we used nicknames for everything, why aren't "The Beast" (Tendai) and "Big Kev"(Horwill) written on the teamsheets every week. Call them the Cape Town Stormers, Durban Sharks, Pretoria Bulls, Auckland Blues, Hamilton Chiefs, Johannasburg Lions and people might have some ideas which team is from where.

They're not specific towns though, they're provinces/regions. The towns/cites have their own clubs which compete in national competitions.

Exactly the same as the Celtic league - there's no such place as Ospreys or Scarlets, and for that matter Munster and Leinster are chuffing big areas. Inside those provinces will remain the old clubs however specific to areas - Neath RFC, Llanelli, Cork Constitution etc. They're what feed the provinces, almost like a mini national squad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 11 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think there's only France where we use only the town name...[/b]

If you're referring to the whole league, very possibly yes. However, there's clubs all over the place;

Bath
Gloucester
Northampton St. James (it's an abbreviation)
Nottingham
Auckland,
Canterbury,
Waikato,
Neath,
Boarders (defunct)

Also, what about the Italian leagues? Do they have brand/nicknames?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 11 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still don't agree with it thought. I thought Auckland Blues and Wellington Hurricanes were representing the city.

The point is, nicknames are just a nickname. If we used nicknames for everything, why aren't "The Beast" (Tendai) and "Big Kev"(Horwill) written on the teamsheets every week. Call them the Cape Town Stormers, Durban Sharks, Pretoria Bulls, Auckland Blues, Hamilton Chiefs, Johannasburg Lions and people might have some ideas which team is from where.[/b]
As Teh Mite kind of pointed out the teams in the Super 14 are in fact franchises. While I would feel more attachment if the team was Wellington Hurricanes, the more appropriate name would be Lower North Island Hurricanes. You can't call a team the lower North Island, really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 11 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 11 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there's only France where we use only the town name...[/b]

If you're referring to the whole league, very possibly yes. However, there's clubs all over the place;

Bath
Gloucester
Northampton St. James (it's an abbreviation)
Nottingham
Auckland,
Canterbury,
Waikato,
Neath,
Boarders (defunct)

Also, what about the Italian leagues? Do they have brand/nicknames?
[/b][/quote]

Yes. I was in deed referring to the whole league.

Yes. Benetton Treviso comes to mind...

Latest posts