• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team names

Q

QLD

Why did all the teams drop their location names and just keep the nicknames? The only teams who haven't are the Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs and Western Force. We should revert back to team names because fans should be prouder about tribalism. I never knew there was a city called Lions in South Africa or province called Crusaders in NZ. One thing the NH have over us is they have kept their location name e.g Munster, Toulon, Saracens.

:D Was thinking that myself mite. Up the M1 for 20 minutes till you reach the town of Saracens.

Don't mind me Dale I'm quite giddy today.

http://www.saracens.com/contact-us/history.php

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Established in 1876

The Saracens name can be traced back to the famous desert warriors led by Saladin in the late 12th century. They were renowned for their extreme mobility, and powers of endurance, which when allied to their bountiful enthusiasm, rendered the Saracens invincible.

In 1876 the Saracens Football Club was founded by the Old Boys of the Philological School in Marylebone (later to become Marylebone Grammar School) and its first fixture was at Primrose Hill playing fields with the red star and crescent worn. Amalgamation with neighbouring club, the Crusaders, occurred in 1878.

The new team retained the Saracens name under captain F.W.Dunn. From 1882 - 86 led by Alf Jenkins, Saracens were invincible. In the 1885/6 season the line was crossed only once! By 1890, the fixture list included all London hospitals, Wasps, London Scottish, Old Millhillians, London Welsh, Sutton and Rosslyn Park. The subsequent decade saw provincial sides such as Bristol, Northampton, Bath, Bedford and Nuneaton incorporated into the list.[/b]

Basically, it was a playon words with "Saracens vs Crusaders"

No matter, by the end of next season they will be known as "Fulham Springboks"

Ah yeah. All he had to do was avoid Wasps, Harlequins and Saracens and he would ave been fine :(.

But one mix-up doesn't ruin a good point because I totally agree. It baffles me why teams insist on having gimmicky nick names. Is it meant to be intimidating or is it so we can ask 'Who would win in a fight, a Wasp or a Leicester?....no wait, I messed that up".

It's bloody daft. It's not like you're going to get more outside support just because it doesn't seem like your team is tied down to one place....I really don't like Wasps, I do like Bath. Already proved that theory wrong. I can understand the Scarletts changing their name seeing as they preresent a whole lot more than Llanelli. But if Munster changed their name to 'Teh Mighty Southerners' or Connacht to 'the Western Farce' I would be none to happy.

Disclaimer Against Australian Wrath: Western Farce joke was aimed at Connacht and not Western Force.

Fark I hate teams called Western, Eastern, Southern or Northern. "I support Western"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 6 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ahhh the power of Marketing.[/b]

I reckon marketing is a myth.

All the teams should be named after their best player:

Queensland Ioanes.
ACT Giteaus.
WA erm Sharpes?
NSW Waughs
Worchester Lathams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 6 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No matter, by the end of next season they will be known as "Fulham Springboks"[/b]

Nope, just <strike>Springboks</strike> SAffies. The Fulham move never got off the drawing board apparently. About a week after it was first mooted it was only the Evening Standard who was peddling the story...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Jul 6 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All the teams should be named after their best player:

Queensland Ioanes.
<strike>ACT Giteaus</strike>. ACT Smiths
WA erm Sharpes?
NSW Waughs
Worchester Lathams.[/b]

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5002381,00.html

George Smith voted top Brumbies player for the EIGHTH time

July 05, 2009
Brumbies and Wallabies openside flanker George Smith has won his eighth Brett Robinson Players Player Award.

The 28-year-old finished the Super 14 season with 204 votes, ahead of full-back Mark Gerrard (183), prop Ben Alexander (176) and fly half Christian Lealiifano (119) to claim the award for the seventh consecutive year.

Smith has played 119 of the Brumbies last 120 matches, including the last 53 consecutively.

"Every coach would love to have a George Smith in their side," Brumbies boss Andy Friend told the awards dinner on Saturday night.

"He's a player that continually exceeds the expectations placed upon him at any level whether it be playing club rugby, with the Brumbies or at Test level for the Wallabies."

The evening also featured a tribute to Brumbies lock Shawn Mackay, who died in April after being struck by a car during the side's South African leg in March.

In the evenings other awards prop Ben Alexander was named Best Forward while Mark Gerrard was recognised as Best Back for a second successive season.

AAP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Jul 6 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never been able to figure out how to get a line through my words....[/b]
You have to use these yokes [ s][/s]
Theres no space in the first bracket but they wouldn't have shown up if I hadn't put it in there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 6 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why did all the teams drop their location names ...[/b]

Well look at it as a graceful opportunity. Some place names are down right ridiculous - to the extend where some towns have small populations because of their names ! Say the smaller towns and villages enter the Super N competition en mass.... Imagine : a new union team for Burpengary ... think of the possible names for the up-and-coming team of Wongawallan ... how 'bout the dilemma that the team from Boksburg in the RSA might face.

So if Burpengary's famous for the after effects of their famous beer fest ... and if Wongawallan is known generally for shoddy performances ... and if the Boksburg team is told off by SARU for using a reserved name like Boks ... Imagine then what the only logical name would be for my personal team which I plan to own one day ... I live in Mount GLORIOUS, which is famous for it's sun rises in the MORNING.

D'you want me to elaborate ?

Or be more up to date in the GP

Watford Saracens
Reading (not very) Irish
High Wycombe Wasps

Latest posts