• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Teams in the game

so that doesnt count
<

And you have to realise that New Zealand club sides are not professional nor are they the top domestic sides that NZ could field.

Above the clubs in NZ are the NPC teams; and then above them are the Super 14 franchises.

So if you had to compare NZ sides to English/French sides - then it would be Blues v Leicester or Toulouse.

But then there is only one real way to prove this and that would be if a northern team travelled south and put it to the test. And I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Man can`t help myself got to get drawn in to this one. First up Leicester, Toulose, Auckland Blues Canterbury Crusaders etc could all beat each other on a given day it would depend on where the match was played Northern or Southern.

Toulose and Leicester are teams made up of players from different nationalities albeit most internationals but there are still quiet a few that are not. The Auckland blues and the Crusaders are practically the All Blacks plus all the players are Kiwis, with a few of the PI boys thrown in
<
, but they consider themselves Kiwis which is the important thing. We all now how difficult it is for players from different countries to play with the same pride as they do there own the Lions a prime example of this.

I don`t quiet think that you can compare Leicester to Toulose as the latter has a much higher win percentage and have pretty much dominated the Heineken cup since it started. SO I think Toulose is the only one who could compete against the Super 14 sides.

Super 14 sides are made up of of different counties(areas) and the top players are picked to play for a Super 14 side where as The Top14 and Guin Premiership teams are only made up of the one area, Hence the reason that They have to buy foreigners as they don`t have the same player pool as the Super 14 sides, therefore law of averages would say that the Super 14 would be slightly higher in quality.

But I rate the Heineken Cup and the Top 14 very highly great competitions.

It's impossible to compare S12/14 sides with European club sides IMO.

You would have to combine Leicester and Northampton to create an East Midlands team, to come up with a side covering the same sort of area as a S12/14 team.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jan 24 2006, 10:15 PM
It's impossible to compare S12/14 sides with European club sides IMO.

You would have to combine Leicester and Northampton to create an East Midlands team, to come up with a side covering the same sort of area as a S12/14 team.
well, a super 12 side, besides auckland, consists of one top npc team, and one less major npc team. (ie. waikato (big) bop (small) or Otago (big) Southland (small). the majority of the team is from one city anyway, and gaps are filled in by the smaller provence.

although you would expect (leinster) to beat a npc team, but the top six teams would put up a fight, and could even win a few.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
covering the same sort of area as a S12/14 team.[/b]
juesus, i hope you dont mean taking up the same amound of area as the blues do, because northland barely counts
<

that is reasonably true. you cant really compair s14 and premiership clubs.

whoever said you cant compair npc (county) teams and premiership teams is wrong. in any country you have a certain pool of top players. these are divided (not necessarily equally) between the top clubs. the only slight difference is that because of the proximaty of eng, sco, ire wal, fra etc players move around more and many play in each others countries. add in a few aging southern hem players for good measure. and in nz they have many pi players. in my mind this makes premiership and npc teams reasonably equal in terms of players.

s14 takes the best of the npc and there is no equivalent in europe. s14 should be better.

i would not be so bold as to suggest who would be tho.

just read that, and as i feared it does read like the ramblings of a hungover madman, but im to ruined to fix it and i hope you get my point.

Latest posts