Teams with most players becoming coaches

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Wondering which pro teams have had the biggest number of their players become full time professional rugby coaches.

I imagine it's obvious that crusaders is number one, but how do other teams compare?

The crusaders always had a culture of everyone thinking about the game, everyone having their say, and I think this led to a lot of them wanting to become coaches. From props to fullbacks.

In fact here is a whole 23 of crusaders who have become pro coaches. Yea no halfback reserve as such, but Delaney could play there. Kevin senio is a coach of an amateur team and I imagine he or fotualii will become a pro coach at some stage.

Anyway here it is

Dave Hewitt,
Mark Hammett,
Greg feek,
Todd Blackadder,
Brad thorn,
Pat lam,
Matt Todd
Scott robertson
Scott Hansen,
Tyler bleyendaal,
Joe maddock
Aaron mauger
Daryl gibson
Jared Payne
Leon Macdonald

Reserves: Ben franks, Dan Perrin, Nick white, Ross filipo, mike Delaney, tabai matson, Casey laulala

Wider squad
Ruben Thorne, Shane Christie, Tom Donnelly, Nasi Manu

So 27 I could find

Last edited:
Munster have had a v good throughput from players to pro coaches in recent years. Probably more than this but...

Ronan O'Gara
Paul O'Connell
Ian Keatley
Denis Fogarty
Tommy O'Donnell
Anthony Foley
Sean Dougall
Jerry Flannery
Felix Jones
Denis Leamy
Mossy Lawlor
Jason Holland
Tyler Bleyendaal
Mike Prendergast
Jim Williams
Sean Cronin
James Coughlan
Ian Costello

I'll take Casey Laulala as well if he's going! Didn't know he was coaching.

Off the top of my head Sale have had Wigglesworth, Sanderson, Diamond, Mallinder and Redpath in the top tier

Believe Mills and Mackenzie have coached in the championship/Canadian top league

Munster have had a v good throughput from players to pro coaches in recent years. Probably more than this but...

Ronan O'Gara
Paul O'Connell
Ian Keatley
Denis Fogarty
Tommy O'Donnell
Anthony Foley
Sean Dougall
Jerry Flannery
Felix Jones
Denis Leamy
Mossy Lawlor
Jason Holland
Tyler Bleyendaal
Mike Prendergast
Jim Williams
Sean Cronin
James Coughlan
Ian Costello

I'll take Casey Laulala as well if he's going! Didn't know he was coaching.
That's pretty impressive, what do you think is the reason why Munster have had so many?

Off the top of my head Sale have had Wigglesworth, Sanderson, Diamond, Mallinder and Redpath in the top tier

Believe Mills and Mackenzie have coached in the championship/Canadian top league
For my hurricanes, I'm sure there's more but I can only think of 4 - tana umaga, Corey Jane, tamati Ellison, Paul ***o.

That's pretty impressive, what do you think is the reason why Munster have had so many?
It's an interesting question and I'm not quite sure! A lot of them were from our golden generation of players so they probably had the profile to walk straight into coaching

We are definitely particularly high by Irish standards even though.