• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The All Blacks got their tactics badly wrong

A

Alistair

I thought the all Blacks played way too much ball amongst their forwards last night. OK - it worked well for their second try and the All Black forwards are impressive, but other than this the French defence matched up to them and the Frogggies just had to wait for that All Black error to occur.

Everyone knows the All Blacks are the most talented rugby team in the world. They should have shown the world this and played rugby how its meant to be played - expansively! Getting it wide to the likes of Howlett would have stretched the French defence so that they couldn't defend in such a well organised fashion.

Henry - stop going on about how proud of the players you are - you got the tactics wrong and should hang your head in shame.

For starters, we knew their tactics were to kick like hell. They did, we got that right.... but wtf did we do with the ball we got? We f***ing drilled it back straight back to them. You'd think knowing that the opposition are going to kick, we'd at least have a game plan to counter this, but we didn't. We should have held the ball, flung it wide to our wingers who would have/should have caused hell for the inferior and slower French backs.

This is what f***s me off, we knew they were going to do it. But we didn't do anything to punish them for it. I'd thought I'd never see the day where the All Blacks didn't counter attack from **** house kicks. Joke.
But yep, we deserved to loose.

Fair point mate. Damien Traille has a good boot on him as does Michalak but I really thought Dan Carter would put anyone to the sword who tried to play a kicking game. He hardly found touch when kicking it back and didn't choose to release the backs! Disappointing to say the least. Dan Carter was also looking extremely concerned from the sidelines and looked like he could almost see the result coming despite leaving the field with NZ leading.

Fair point mate. Damien Traille has a good boot on him as does Michalak but I really thought Dan Carter would put anyone to the sword who tried to play a kicking game. He hardly found touch when kicking it back and didn't choose to release the backs! Disappointing to say the least. Dan Carter was also looking extremely concerned from the sidelines and looked like he could almost see the result coming despite leaving the field with NZ leading.
[/b]

I think it was the fact he knew his injured calf probably meant his tournament was over either way more than anything. Evans should have started. He came on and scythed through the French line a few times in his brief outing before HE got injured also.

[/b]
Carter has been pretty average this season, he did the opposite of a Jonny Wilkinson, the mid World Cup period was his best time..

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Carter has been pretty average this season, he did the opposite of a Jonny Wilkinson, the mid World Cup period was his best time..
[/b][/quote]

And boy does it hurt us. Thank god he's still just 24 and has another chance in 2011.

I keep asking myself why one of the experienced heads in the NZ squad didn't call for a drop goal.
From 71mins onwards i was saying, "Someone's gonna drop back for a drop goal now. Surely..."But no one did it. NZ were camped in the 22m for ages, pick and drive, pick and drive - knock on. Michelak f***s it up and kicks back to Jack, NZ have another opportunity, but panic and get dirven back to the halfway line when McAlister realises he should have dropped back into the pocket before now - but hey, better late than never and attempts an extremely difficult drop goal.
What was McCaw doing during these last 10 mins?
Certainly not making himself heard, that's for sure.

I keep asking myself why one of the experienced heads in the NZ squad didn't call for a drop goal.
From 71mins onwards i was saying, "Someone's gonna drop back for a drop goal now. Surely..."But no one did it. NZ were camped in the 22m for ages, pick and drive, pick and drive - knock on. Michelak f***s it up and kicks back to Jack, NZ have another opportunity, but panic and get dirven back to the halfway line when McAlister realises he should have dropped back into the pocket before now - but hey, better late than never and attempts an extremely difficult drop goal.
[/b]

Yeah mate, McCaw's leadership was strangely absent yesterday. I think it was when both Carter and Evans were off, the makeshift halves of Leonard and McAlister were clueless. But still, your a retard not to set up for a drop goal inside the 22 being down by 2 with less than 5 to go. It's mind boggling coming from a team like this All Blacks side which has been together for so long and had 700 combined caps on the field.

Dan Carter was also looking extremely concerned from the sidelines and looked like he could almost see the result coming despite leaving the field with NZ leading. [/b]

Noticed that too. In fact all the NZ players on the sidelines all looked extremely worried despite leading

I thought the all Blacks played way too much ball amongst their forwards last night. OK - it worked well for their second try and the All Black forwards are impressive, but other than this the French defence matched up to them and the Frogggies just had to wait for that All Black error to occur.

[/b]

AB Coach - to GULAG !
Wished to win beautifully - and it was necessary to win simply.
This team should press the Frenchmen as the tank a toad.

There are two excellent kickers - kick a drops if the ball does not climb for a line.

But is not present it-is necessary to win beautifully :(((.

I though France were pretty good when they opened up in the second half. McCallister is an idiot for checking the French player no need for it. :blink:

[/b]

All this pressure wouldnt have been built up for all the time wasted in the first half, come on, ANYONE would have been smart enough to find out it was the French strategy,

I've hated Leon Mcdonal since he went on the field (actually ive hated him BEING in the All Blacks squad since a LOONG time ago ) and i was on fire when Doug Howlett didnt start as FullBack...Sure doug doesnt have much of a boot but he would had the legs to at least step a couple or kick and chase 2 times faster than leon...

And didnt the New Zealand have an advantage when Luke Mcalister did the drop goal?...When he first did it I just thought he was trying a Matt Dunning. Go for the drop goal, see if it goes in, if it doesnt then youll have another chance. I dont think the advantage is supposed to be over straight after a dropgoal... im not too sure about backs rules... sorry if im wrong. At least someone realised about doing a Drop goal...i guess it was way too late in the game, should've realised how much they were being pushed. <_<

And simontaylor...dont you think that was a complete accident? come on, in the england vs Aussies match they were having a fight and noone got yellow carded.

and id like to say one thing: NICK EVANS SHOULD HAVE DONE THE CONVERSION!!! EXPERIENCE DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING GRAHAM HENRY !!!

i just needed to get it all out. Im still guttered about the loss. :wah:

I though France were pretty good when they opened up in the second half. McCallister is an idiot for checking the French player no need for it. :blink:

Buuuuuuuuullllllll Shiiiiiiieeet

Everyone knows the All Blacks are the most talented rugby team in the world. They should have shown the world this and played rugby how its meant to be played - expansively! Getting it wide to the likes of Howlett would have stretched the French defence so that they couldn't defend in such a well organised fashion.

Henry - stop going on about how proud of the players you are - you got the tactics wrong and should hang your head in shame.
[/b]

i fully agree that they played too much ball with the forwards. they've got in my eyes probably the best backline in the world. the few moments they had it going wide, they looked impressive.

I think it was the fact he knew his injured calf probably meant his tournament was over either way more than anything. Evans should have started. He came on and scythed through the French line a few times in his brief outing before HE got injured also.[/b]

what's your opinion on them having McAllister starting at 10, and Toeava starting at 12?

I think it was the fact he knew his injured calf probably meant his tournament was over either way more than anything. Evans should have started. He came on and scythed through the French line a few times in his brief outing before HE got injured also.[/b]

what's your opinion on them having McAllister starting at 10, and Toeava starting at 12?
[/b]
Can he control a game adequately? Does he have the composure?

What should have happened (Clicky) at some point in the last 10 minutes of the game.

And didnt the New Zealand have an advantage when Luke Mcalister did the drop goal?[/b]

I'm not sure if they did but there is an advantage for a free kick and advantage for a full penalty. The full penalty is where the kicking tee will be brought out after a failed drop goal attempt - in the other instance play carries on as normal from a drop goal attempt following a free kick advantage, it being deemed a sufficient chance to score points.

I think that's the case anyway. :wacko:

Michelak f***s it up and kicks back to Jack[/b]
Except some moments of genius, where he probably stop thinking, Michalak is a true danger for both side!

The reason why all blacks lost is due to not playing enough games under pressure or winning games under pressure or at the death.

In the past 4 years I can only recall about 4 games out probably 40 games they have played in that period in which they have hung on or scored right at the end of the game to win.
2004 against SA and Australia they just won the games at the end.
2005 against SA, Mealamu scored the winning try from a maul and later on that year against England when they defended their line.

All the other times they have blown the opposition away and won games comfortably. They had won games by halftime against quality opposition.

Opposition now believe that they can beat the ABs in a world cup knockout match then a regular test match because the ABs will be under much more pressure.

In a regular test match the ABs are less under pressure because if they lose it does not mean they are knocked out and have to wait another 4 more years. So the ABs play with more freedom.

In a way, their skill, power, speed and superiority is their own disadvantage.

The reason why all blacks lost is due to not playing enough games under pressure or winning games under pressure or at the death.

In the past 4 years I can only recall about 4 games out probably 40 games they have played in that period in which they have hung on or scored right at the end of the game to win.
2004 against SA and Australia they just won the games at the end.
2005 against SA, Mealamu scored the winning try from a maul and later on that year against England when they defended their line.

All the other times they have blown the opposition away and won games comfortably. They had won games by halftime against quality opposition.

Opposition now believe that they can beat the ABs in a world cup knockout match then a regular test match because the ABs will be under much more pressure.

In a regular test match the ABs are less under pressure because if they lose it does not mean they are knocked out and have to wait another 4 more years. So the ABs play with more freedom.

In a way, their skill, power, speed and superiority is their own disadvantage. [/b]

Very true. If none of the players have been in that position seconds from the end, they don't know how to act.

I really thought Dan Carter would put anyone to the sword who tried to play a kicking game. He hardly found touch when kicking it back and didn't choose to release the backs! Disappointing to say the least. Dan Carter was also looking extremely concerned from the sidelines and looked like he could almost see the result coming despite leaving the field with NZ leading.
[/b]

Dan Carter's game plan was NOT;/b] to kick the ball into touch, he merely directed it slightly to the corner pocket so they can force back for an All Black feed. Judging by Carter's Continuing persistence of kicking, 1 has to get the impression that he was under instructions to do so. And here as for Carter looking extremely concerned.."In New Zealand we call that passion"

Latest posts