• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The best drop goal you've ever seen

I believe this is the idiot and clip in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvMKkC1kjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1-peSQF_E

I have a fond place in my heart for this one. Grand slam day '05.

But this one by Johnny was pure pressure.
Very well taken.
Matt Dawson should be given huge thanks for taking the ball so far forward as well, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNttA3XwTA
[/b]

"...But this one by Johnny was pure pressure..."

Pure pressure - crap! He was right out in front, had loads of time to prepare himself and had he missed England still would have had a chance to win the world cup. Had Stransky missed in '95 then South Africa would not have won - now that was pressure.

there's been so many great drops over the years, one of the best against us was probably in the last world cup in our match against the Pumas, think it was Corleto who scored a peach of a drop from easily over 50m and given the pressure on both teams in that match it showed some balls.

There was pressure. Pressure that it was 20 seconds before the end of extra time and that silly penalty kick thing that nobody has done before, so it for a start its doubtful whether either team would have another chance to go for a drop goal.

There was also pressure from half the Aussie team bearing down on him too. Notice the suspicious presence of five men with gold jerseys on. We handed the footage to expert video analysts. They confirmed that they were indeed Australian rugby players, a dire development indeed! Especially if you were the no.10 given the ball with a second to kick it before they get into charge down range. Thats quite a fair bit of f***ing pressure if you ask me :p

However as awesomely fantastic and amazing as this drop goal is....its not the best one. Not by a mile sadly.

What it does show is what a phenomenal fly half Wilko was. When full time sounded and the teams had a break before extra time was under way, Wilko grabbed a ball and spent the time doing kicking practice. The guy was a training machine, he lives for training, he trains every hour of every day. Break his legs and he'd settle for passing and ball skills training from his wheelchair!

However, not the best drop goal of all time.

so as the question goes then what's the best dg you've ever seen, I know it's not the easiest question but give us one of the best then.

To be honest...I'd go for Jannie De Beer's set of scrummy drop goals against England in the 1995 world cup.

was a phenomenal performance alright, thing is there are so many great dgs it hard to say which is the best, I agree that Stransky's was more pressurised despite the arguments for Wilko's but it was on the wrong side of the pitch for a right footed attempt, and it was a home world cup final, that is even greater pressure imo. If you just look at it as a simple dg then there's no denying that Stranky's was better, it's the whole situation that makes it all the more special.

Remember Clongowes v Blackrock quarter-final Leinster Schools Senior Cup 1984 in Ireland. Clongowes outhalf Adrian O'Farrell kicked five drop goals for a 15-11 underdog win. We went ballistic in the stands. And the Blackrock backrow had to go back to school that night, poor ********.

Well I can't say that I remember all that well since I was just 1 at the time but any time Rock lose in the Senior Cup is cause enough for anyone to go ballistic. That's some achievement though, pressure in the Senior Cup is huge

"...What it does show is what a phenomenal fly half Wilko was. When full time sounded and the teams had a break before extra time was under way, Wilko grabbed a ball and spent the time doing kicking practice. The guy was a training machine, he lives for training, he trains every hour of every day. Break his legs and he'd settle for passing and ball skills training from his wheelchair..!" Prestwick.

Yeah but for all of that training and practice and what has he been doing since the '03 World Cup Final? He has been injured, or trying to make a comeback from injury and I wonder how much of that comes down to his seemingly obsessive need to train all of the time.

That certainly proves that he was comitted but it was hardly smart. The main priority of a rugby player is to play rugby and if you are always injured then all of that training is just a waste of time.

Back to the best drop goal it is easily Stranky's. A tougher kick, more pressure because had he missed South Africa would not have won the world cup whereas England still could have won had Wilkinson's much easier kick missed.

Yeah but for all of that training and practice and what has he been doing since the '03 World Cup Final? He has been injured, or trying to make a comeback from injury and I wonder how much of that comes down to his seemingly obsessive need to train all of the time.

That certainly proves that he was comitted but it was hardly smart. The main priority of a rugby player is to play rugby and if you are always injured then all of that training is just a waste of time.
[/b]

Some of his initial injuries were down to that but since late 2004 onwards his injuries have been complete freak accidents. He has just had an incredibly bad run of bad luck. You can't say that in the run up to 2003, Wilko was without doubt one of the best fly halfs of his age. His kicking, running, awareness and tackling simply were second to none.

"...You can't say that in the run up to 2003, Wilko was without doubt one of the best fly halfs of his age..." Prestwick.

I don't think that I have ever said anything to contradict your above statement. Wilkinson was the most important cog in the English machine that won the world cup so it would be stupid to say that he was not one of the best number 10's going at that time.

And therefore I have never said anything close to it.

But back to my original point about Wilkinson and his training. He obviously over-trains. I think that this stems from his "cracking" under the pressure during the Group game against the All Blacks during the '99 World Cup and it has hurt his rugby playing.

He needs to train less and make sure that his body is 100% before he comes back, if he can come back, that is.

Lots of people were calling him the best rugby player in the world after the '03 tournament and maybe that was true but since then he has been the most injured player in world rugby. And that's a shame - but only for him and England! And Stransky's drop-goal was still better.

Wilkinson wasn't the key cog, Johnson was. England lost enough big matches with Jonny there but it was always when Johnson were missing that England came unstuck.

All those drop goals were great. :D

It isnt easy trying one in a match....but IMO Matt Dumplings DG had to stand out above the rest....only because he was a prop.

i was looking at all those videos on youtube and i found a girl from my school in another video i watched it was scary. bak on topic matt dunning looked so annoyed at himself when he realised wat he'd done. its classic.

Speaking of preasure kicks what about Sateki Tu'ipulotu the Tongan Full back in the 99 RWC pool game against Italy. After a great performance against New Zealand. Tonga struggled against Italy. It was 25-25 at full time. Just as the hooter went Sateki Tu'ipulotu recieved the ball at the 50m Line about 10ms in from touch and let it fly. Tonga won 28-25 and the Tongan manager came on and said " Sateki Pau he pau" Which means "You do this all the time" LOL.

Best DG would have to go to Joel Stransky though...The situation South African Rugby was in at that Time, the Whole nation came together for that 1995 RWC and it just seem to have alot more behind it then Wilkos... Not taking anything away from Wilko though.

Paris, November 1999, Rugby World Cup quarter-final, SA vs England. Cue Jannie De Beer- pick any one of those 5!

Paris, November 1999, Rugby World Cup quarter-final, SA vs England. Cue Jannie De Beer- pick any one of those 5!
[/b]

I think I recorded that match when they were showing it on Boots and all a while ago.

I might just make a Youtube vid of it :)

zinzan brooke's for the all blacks in the 95 world cup I think it was. it was a good 40-50m out and it was out wide as well and he nailed it. was something special and certainly something most no8's or forwards don't do.

I also recall old Ollie Le Roux landing one, in the old Super 10, in his days at the Shark Tank- should also get a memorable mention, together with Matt Dunning`s effort- some would say Matt`s only contribution to the game of rugby!

Front-row fatties slotting a drop is certainly quite a sight to behold!

Latest posts