• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The best drop goal you've ever seen

T

tituslechmakus

i had to create this topic 'cause everyone wants to describe the best drop goal he's ever seen and you were writing in the stransky/wilko topic which was not made for that ... so go on with your 60m drops mates !!!!

What constitutes as a "good" drop goal? Length, style, field position? I've seen drops taken from the sideline 50m out. That was a good one. Derick Hougaard. I've also seen Gaffie take a drop straight in front of the sticks from about 63m out. Also good. But only pressure kicks like Wilco and Stransky, Larkham, and Jannie de Beer WC kicks are ones that stand out.

we don't care about what kind of drop goal it is ... this topic is made for talking about the greatest drops ppl have ever seen (so that the topic stransky-wilko is not polluted by messages of other drops) so say what you want about any drop kick you've seen

What constitutes as a "good" drop goal? Length, style, field position? I've seen drops taken from the sideline 50m out. That was a good one. Derick Hougaard. I've also seen Gaffie take a drop straight in front of the sticks from about 63m out. Also good. But only pressure kicks like Wilco and Stransky, Larkham, and Jannie de Beer WC kicks are ones that stand out.
[/b]
Saw Jeff Wilson drop kick a conversion from sideline when ball had fallen over and opposition was charging him... Otago in Wellington.

Matt dunning in the super12 semi final in 2003 or 2004 i think...needed a try to get into the final, instead he kicked it from 40m out and he is a loose head prop!!

Matt dunning in the super12 semi final in 2003 or 2004 i think...needed a try to get into the final, instead he kicked it from 40m out and he is a loose head prop!! [/b]

So not only being a fatass, he's also an idiot?

Matt dunning in the super12 semi final in 2003 or 2004 i think...needed a try to get into the final, instead he kicked it from 40m out and he is a loose head prop!!
[/b]

and ??? that's the best drop goal you've ever seen ... ok :cheers: :bravo: ... do you sometime watch rugby ??? :blink:
such a drop should go to the wall of shame ... go on create a thread for that !!!

I hate to say it, but the RWC Wilkinson kick. That was some serious pressure.
wilkinson_injured_203x152.jpg

Okay, seeing him injured makes me feel better for giving him a compliment.

My older Brother.

I was 15 and he was 18, we went to differant high schools and we where playing against each other.
He played 1st5 and I played half back... watched him get the ball, drop it on to his foot - 24 to 15 to them on the final whistle.

You prick.

Remember that toasted sandwish I made you when you came home after the game.
Rememeber Mum said I shouldn't be such a sore loser?

Guess what? took a lot of spit to get that f***ing sandwish just right.

ireland vs NZ maori in the recent churchill cup clash
70 metres!!! sweet stuff

Joe Lydon`s 60 yard + plus againgst Warrington in the Challenge Cup semi final in 1989.
198889bhv3.jpg

[/b]

I thought that it was a lot closer to that - i.e. within the 22m line.

I can still remember the look on his face when he realised that he shouldn't have done it. Classic! You can pretty much guarantee that Dunning will never again attempt a drop-goal.

Yes. I also remember it being close to the goals. Good old Doughnut Dunning won't be making any more rash decisions like that, I'll guarantee you that!

what was dunning actually trying to do? chip or somthing? is he dumfounded because he stuffed up but ended up in a dropgoal, or was he dumbfounded because he had a go and it actually went over the bar?

what was dunning actually trying to do? chip or somthing? is he dumfounded because he stuffed up but ended up in a dropgoal, or was he dumbfounded because he had a go and it actually went over the bar?
[/b]

Perhaps he'd lost track of the scores or the clock, it happens. It can't have been a spur of the moment thing 'cause drops goals are kind of counter-instinctive unless you've set yourself up for it.

There was an advantage being played, so it was a similar situation to a halfback just having a hack at it from behind the ruck to use the advantage and gain the penalty... except it actually went over :p

Joel Stransky in the 1995 Rugby World Cup Final, won us the ***le. Plus it was pretty far out, 40+ metres.

Latest posts