• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The best Springbok team

<div class='quotemain'>
Does the beast not qualify for the Boks?
[/b]
He qualifies in July, the 7th if I remember correctly
[/b][/quote]

Good stuff, hes an absoloute destroyer.

With the squad available against Wales:
1. Heinke vd Merwe
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. CJ vd Linde
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Wickus van Heerden (is he injured? otherwise Watson)
7. Juan Smith
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Ricky Januarie
10. Butch James
11. Bryan Habana
12. ?Bobo?
13. Jean de Villiers
14. Tonderai Chavhanga
15. Conrad Jantjes

16. Schalk Brits
17. Brian Mujati
18. Juan Smith
19. Andries Bekker
20. Francois Steyn
21. Peter Grant
22. Ruan Pienaar

That one was actually quite tough. I think it's obvious that JdV is a much better 13 than a 12. Problem is we don't have any outstanding 12s. Guys like Barritt/M. Steyn/Bosman(injured)/Bobo (better 12 than 13) are decent though and Bobo is the only one of those in the squad. At least he and Jdv know each oher.
Steyn is a loose cannon and definitely not what we need at 12. We have some amazing match winners in our backline and we just need a dependable 12 who can be trusted on to make crucial decisions. Steyn, however doesn't pass the ball and often wastes it kicking silly drop goal attemps. He's also lacking on defence and can't control a backline. That's why we need a 12 who can pass the ball over to Jean, Tondie and Habana and let them do their thing.
Peter Grant might not be a bad idea either, he gets to play alongside Butch and gain crucial experience. My preference would've been Barritt though, he's an unsung hero that really gets the backline working. If only he were in the squad.
Don't really want Pienaar in the team, but we need a back-up scrummie. Of course, I'm sure wunderkind Steyn can cover that area as well.

Yes and John Daniels has scored how many tries in the Currie Cup? 60+ but he is still ****. Speed doesn't mean anything if you can't be put into space. Yes he has speed and he is quick but he doesn't have any other tricks up he's sleeve. I also don't really like Chavanga but at least he has a bit of a step and can fend defenders of. Nokwe is suspect on defence and under the high ball. Then I'd rather have one of the Ndungane brothers in there and sacrifice a bit of speed, but is solid under the high ball and can tackle.[/b]

So then put them in your own bloody team and stop criticizing mine. I want someone that can catch anyone who caught an intercept and is running away to score. I think Nokwe will catch any New Zealander or Australian. I also want a wing who, when the ball is kicked downfield, will beat everyone else there to score. Having a slow winger is like having a short lock or a skinny prop.

I dont care who you think is good or crap, he is on my bench, choose your own team. [/b]

Whatever stop being a cry baby. Nokwe is like a poodle that chases a car down the road, once he catches he doesn't know what to do with him/it.

Whatever stop being a cry baby. Nokwe is like a poodle that chases a car down the road, once he catches he doesn't know what to do with him/it.[/b]

Typical Pretorian. Go spin your car in Hatfield at 6 in the morning or something.

Whatever stop being a cry baby. Nokwe is like a poodle that chases a car down the road, once he catches he doesn't know what to do with him/it.[/b]

Typical Pretorian. Go spin your car in Hatfield at 6 in the morning or something. [/b]

Mmm really mature.

Ok let's get this thread back on topic. I see Pieter De Villiers says he wants to introduce a rugby culture by keeping the ball alive and that players don't go to ground and run opposition players of their feet. Don't think this will work and the players will have to be super fit.

I agree with you, i don't think it will work either.
Has anybody seen a team, that De Villiers has coached, play before?

Has anybody seen a team, that De Villiers has coached, play before? [/b]

Yeah, your emerging springboks of 2007.
Can't say much about them, as they were a class above all oposition, but what really impressed me was PDV's big mouth. Even months before the World Cup, he was seeing himself as the next coach of a springbok team with at least 7 coloured players starting. And, looking at tomorrow's lineup, he was right! (wow, an all-white bench..)

G.Steenkamp
S.Brits
BJ.Botha
B.Botha (Pure power)
V.Matfield (His picking his running game up)
P.Spies
S.Burger
R.Konkawski
R.Kockott
B.James
B.Habana
J. de Villiers
A.Jacobs or bring back M.Joubert
T.Chavanga
C.Jantjies

B.du Plessis
B.Mujati
A.Bekker
J.Smith
L.Watson (unlucky to mis the starting 15)
F.Steyn (he must play flyhalf)
R.Pienaar (can play from scrumhalf to fullback)

G.Steenkamp
S.Brits
BJ.Botha
B.Botha (Pure power)
V.Matfield (His picking his running game up)
P.Spies
S.Burger
R.Konkawski
R.Kockott
B.James
B.Habana
J. de Villiers
A.Jacobs or bring back M.Joubert
T.Chavanga
C.Jantjies

B.du Plessis
B.Mujati
A.Bekker
J.Smith
L.Watson (unlucky to mis the starting 15)
F.Steyn (he must play flyhalf)
R.Pienaar (can play from scrumhalf to fullback)
[/b]

I like your team, but yeah i will shove Steyns feelings out the window, and put him at 12 with de Villiers at 13.

My springbok team would be

15. Montgomery/Steyn
14. Chavanga/Odwa Ndungane
13. Jean De Villiers/ Steyn
12. Jacque Fourie
11. Habana
10. James/Steyn
9. Du Preez/Pienaar/Kockett
8. Kankowski
7. Watson
6. Burger
5. Matfield
4. Botha
3. Beast
2. Smit
1. Botha/Steenkamp

Steenkamp
Smit
Beast
Botha
Matfield
Shaulk
Smith
Spies
Pienaar
James
Habanna
JDV
Steyn
JP
Jantes

the lists are good but i think i would prefer to put steyn at fullback rather than fly half or centre. but thats just me.

H. van der Merwe
B. du Plessis
BJ. Botha
B. Botha
V. Matfield
P. Spies
S. Burger
R. Konkawski
F. Hougaard (His in great form for the bulls) Name: Francios
B. James
B. Habana
W. Olivier (His in great form, his running holes in the defence)
J. de Villiers
C. Jantjies
F. Steyn

I must admit Olivier (aka Meisiekind) has been in great form for the Bulls lately. Unfortunately he has a history of not carrying club form onto the International scene, hopefully he'll work on that

To everyone supporting Peter Grant at 10: I respectfully disagree, and please pass whatever you're smoking over here. The hangover could use it. I hate saying this as a WP/Stormers fan, but we have better goal kickers, leaders, and distributors to choose from than him.

However, I like the idea of a DeVilliers-Steyn midfield pairing. Let's try this:

15 Conrad Jantjes (as long as Steyn is kicking)
14 JP Pietersen
13 Francois Steyn (until he can prove he's a reliable 10/15)
12 Jean De Villiers (he's too good of a distributor to move to 13.. for now..)
11 Bryan Habana
10 Butch James
9 Ruan Pienaar (Januarie was very shaky against NZ save for that try)
8 Pierre Spies
7 Juan Smith
6 Schalk Burger
5 Victor Matfield
4 Bakkies Botha
3 CJ Van der Linde
2 John Smit
1 Guthro Steenkamp

22 Ndungane (Why is Monty in the squad? The World Cup is over! We have to focus on YOUTH!)
21 Jacobs
20 Januarie/Conradie
19 Kankowski
18 Watson
17 Bekker
16 Brits

1. Guthro Steenkamp
  2. Bismarck du Plessis
  3. Jannie du Plessis / Tendai Mtawarira
  4. Bakkies Botha / Andries Bekker
  5. Victor Matfield
  6. Ryan Kankowski
  7. Schalk Burger
  8. Pierre Spies
  9. Enrico Januarie
  10. Peter Grant
  11. Bryan Habana
  12. Jean de Villiers
  13. Jacque Fourie
  14. Tonderai Chavhanaga
  15. Conrad Jantjes

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. John Smit
3. CJ vd Linde
4. Andreis Bekker
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Juan Smith
8. Joe Van Niekerk or Spies or Kankowski

9. Fourie du Preez or "Ricky" Januarie
10. Francois Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean De Villiers
13. Jacques Fourie or Adrian Jacobs
14. Tonderai Chavhanga (quicker than Habana)
15. Conrad Jantjes

Latest posts