• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

I don't have a link but someone mentioned this was on the news (TV 1) on Tuesday to me. Apparently he isnt that keen on staying with them.

Understandably. From what I've read he was both disappointed and angry over being ommited, saying he's looking for another franchise and a chance to play against the Blues. To be fair, he is obviously the Blues most promising 1st 5/8th and this may be Kirwan's first real big mistake. He was never going to accept being told he wasn't good enough for the Blues at this stage in his career, and not sign with another team...

He's actually best off at the Blues as they don't have an established 10, but if he's not going to start anyway he may as well play for any other team - where he has a chance to develop in a winning enviroment. Amazing that Hobbs is there but not Ansombe.

Understandably. From what I've read he was both disappointed and angry over being ommited, saying he's looking for another franchise and a chance to play against the Blues. To be fair, he is obviously the Blues most promising 1st 5/8th and this may be Kirwan's first real big mistake. He was never going to accept being told he wasn't good enough for the Blues at this stage in his career, and not sign with another team...

He's actually best off at the Blues as they don't have an established 10, but if he's not going to start anyway he may as well play for any other team - where he has a chance to develop in a winning enviroment. Amazing that Hobbs is there but not Ansombe.

Hobbs has been de-listed too. I understand that Noakes and Kerr are the only two 10's signed with the Blues for next season - they are still looking for a 3rd (that is why they are apparently looking at Anscombe again).

Last edited:
Glad they signed Baden Kerr, he's been one of the best 10's in the whole ITM Cup so far, it would have been a huge waste of talent if he signed with the Chiefs and got no game time again.

Anscombe is a good kicker, a good runner and he's got good speed but he's not much of a play maker, maybe they should try him as a Fullback instead, I remember Auckland originally used him as a winger

I think Dan Pryor deserves a spot, not in the 22 but deserves to be in the squad

Last edited:
They never really used him as a wing. He had 12 minutes replacing a wing in his first season of ITM Cup and that was it. I don't know the circumstances, but this may have been due to injuries rather than seeing him as a potential starter on the wing.

I think it will be a real shame if Anscombe does not end up at the blues, would seriously suck if the Auckland finally produced a good player and he ended up having to leave the area to get gametime.

J.K was my hero back in the day when I use to watch my dads old videos of him. However as a coach, Im just going to have to trust in him to get the best out of his players. If it means we lose Gareth, so be it. I dont like it but it doesnt matter. Getting to the final is all I want to see. Go Blues!

Great signing by Chiefs. Blues just blew their most promising 1st 5/8th they've had in years. Anscombe will do very well on the Chiefs bench as it mean Cruden doesn't have to play 80 minutes every game.

The Blues player drain continues, with backup LH prop Pauliasi Manu signing with the Rebels. He probably wouldn't have been a starter for the Blues, but I thought he would have been a valuable squad player this season, as he has been strong during the ITM Cup (and the Blues aren't exactly stacked with propping options....).

I know it sounds weird, but as a Blues fan I'm quite excited about next year and all thre relative unknowns we will have.
It will be very interesting to see what JK and Henry will be able to do with these guys.

I suspect the first year will be tough, but i'm optimistic we will upset a few teams on the way to building a solid squad

I know it sounds weird, but as a Blues fan I'm quite excited about next year and all thre relative unknowns we will have.
It will be very interesting to see what JK and Henry will be able to do with these guys.

I suspect the first year will be tough, but i'm optimistic we will upset a few teams on the way to building a solid squad

I think we're going to be great next year. Im seeing us in the final, I just dont know who were playing?....

the kings are the new SA team that will be 15th on the table.

I would be more excited about the Blues prospects next year if Anscombe was in the squad. I don't think for a moment that Ker or Nokes are the same level, time will tell.

Blues clearly have the forward pack, even without woodcock - though it has to be said the Scrum was the only really good thing about the Blues 2012 season and Woody was the major factor in that.

I honestly think the major factor is Uncle Ted. He's never really coached a bad side.

I'd have to say i'm worried - the whole Anscombe thing has really killed my Blues buzz. Historically Great/Good HalfBacks & 1st Fives dominate Super Rugby + Finals. We have neither.

Whilst it's clearly a rebuilding stage, i'd prefer a championship or bust mentality. It's been a long time between drinks. (for them & me)

McDonald is a good pickup, I'd rather have him than Flynn.

maybe it's just me but I really don't rate McCatney as a first choice Loose head prop.

I honestly think he's at best a handy guy to have on the bench and hard working squad member at super rugby level. Can't help but think the gap between having Tony Woodcock at #1 to having Tom McCartney at #1 will be VAST.

Latest posts