• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

yeah most interesting point was they only have 17 players contracted and 20 spots to fill

a lot of room for change in the squad, basically looking for players in almost all positions.

looking very likely that 2013 will see Adam Thomson either overseas or at the blues.

could be a good move but I don't see it as ideal for the blues. Adam may only be good for a year or so and the blues do already have good options at 6 with Luatua, they really need a top shelf #8, prop, lock, halfback, midfielder, winger and maybe most importantly a fullback.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/14703951/thomson-considering-move-overseas/

starting to get a little worried about the highlanders for next year. maybe No Thomson, No Cowan, No Nokes, No Crosswell new assistant coaches.

That view could change if Slade makes a big comeback and Ben Franks signs with them (which is looking likely)

We need Adam Thompson, I think he'll go great over here. Actually I think we need a whole bunch of Adam Thompsons, we need more white people. Lately in the Blues camp we've seen the rise of the Islanders and I thought that was awesome, but along with the rise came the fall of the Blues.

Back in the day when we were winning we had a really good balance with some good palagis (white brothers) around. I think thats what we should go back to, go for the hardworking mistake free guys instead of the barnstorming Islanders that seems to have flooded and drowned our team.

We need that balance, we need good consistent performers. You can have player A who just does his job then you can have player B who does his job and more, problem with player B is with the word more also applies to more mistakes. Good example of this is Peter Sa'ili, I think he is a good strong runner and thats what he has over the others that are competing for his jersey but look at his errors...player B.

I will believe Thomson is leaving the Highlanders when I see it confirmed - it seems almost every season he is rumored to be signing somewhere (usually the Crusaders...), but nothing has happened so far. From a rugby point of view I can't really see the logic in Thomson going to the Blues. He is guaranteed a starting spot in the Highlanders, and I think he has a much better opportunity to push for All Blacks selection at the Highlanders, as he has a role in the side the suits his strengths. He may well be given a similar role at the Blues, but it would take him so time to adjust to a new team structure. If Thomson wants a change I think he would be far better off looking overseas. He is already 30, and unless there are a few injuries, doesn't look like he will be getting a huge number of caps in the future - I'm sure a couple of years in Japan would set him up nicely!

Signing Thomson would definitely be a good move for the Blues if they could get him, as he is proven performer at this level. The Blues have been very aggressive in their recruiting thus far, but haven't managed to really attract any 'big names' yet (Noakes and O'Connor are hardly marquee signings!).

yeah so far JK and uncle ted are the only big name signings!

Though Weepu and Nonu staying is something I guess.

Agree totally with Sam, Blues now have too much Renee Ranger and not enough Jared Payne lol.

as I said in my other post Pacific flair is critical to a side but the mix has to be right.

I really want to hear that Boric is still in the game and will be back next year, blues really need that dude.

The Blues have announced the signings of a couple more young players, Southland fullback Marty McKenzie, and Auckland prop Ofa Tu'ungafasi. I'm not surprised with either signing - McKenzie has been linked with the Blues already, while the Blues are in desperate need of props (with Woodcock, and Mailau gone), and Tu'ungafasi is one of the most promising props in the country (if still a little raw at this stage). McKenzie is certainly another talented young player, and though I don't expect he will get a huge amount of game time next season he could well develop into a top class Super Rugby fullback.

They've also got the flanker from the Crusaders WTG, Brendan O'Connor.

Team is looking better IMO with Woodcock and Wulf out of the team.

Dont know if Raikuna is playing.. But i think Moala for Auckland looks the goods!

dont know how losing woodcock is anything but a massive loss. Even this season despite the poor results when woodcock was playing the blues had arguably the best scrum in the competition.

also seems Nonu is also not locked in for next season with clear indications that he may be off overseas or even maybe the highlanders??

I'm not convinced this would be a bad thing, even though he's been great for the AB's he's never really been consistent enough at super level or been a part of a truly successful super side plus the celery that would be freed up.

you would think with woody going and maybe nonu the blues have a lot of spare cash. You would kinda expect to see at least one big name signing yet to come? Stephen Donald maybe??? :)

Kovana has a hatred for any player in the Blues team that isn't from Auckland, for some bizarre reason.

Please not Stephen Donald :( They should be going for players from other franchises who will be looking for gametime e.g. Nick Barrett, Elliot Dixon, Fritz Lee etc. Perhaps they could go for a couple of the older, returning players like Filipo or Johnstone. I think they probably have enough talent in the backline to not really need any more signings there. Just a couple of experienced players to guide the younger forwards would be handy.

They should sign up Robbie Malneek. How Marty McKenzie can get a contract and Malneek can't is beyond me.

They should sign up Robbie Malneek. How Marty McKenzie can get a contract and Malneek can't is beyond me.

Malneek is 29. McKenzie is 20. While Malneek has been good for Tasman this season, he has been very much a journeyman at ITM Cup level for the last 5-6 years, while McKenzie is one of the most promising young fullbacks in the country. If Malneek can continue his strong form he may be offered a spot in a wider training squad, but given his age I can't see that happening when there are plenty of talented young fullbacks around.

Kovana has a hatred for any player in the Blues team that isn't from Auckland, for some bizarre reason.

Please not Stephen Donald
sad.gif
They should be going for players from other franchises who will be looking for gametime e.g. Nick Barrett, Elliot Dixon, Fritz Lee etc. Perhaps they could go for a couple of the older, returning players like Filipo or Johnstone. I think they probably have enough talent in the backline to not really need any more signings there. Just a couple of experienced players to guide the younger forwards would be handy.

Yeah, getting a few more experienced Super Rugby players will be important for the Blues. Johnstone will certainly get a contract somewhere, as I'm sure all the Super rugby franchises could do with a strong scrummaging TH prop! He could well sign with the Crusaders again and spend the season backing up Owen Franks. Filipo is certainly an option in terms of an experienced lock, but assuming Boric is back I think they should be pretty well served at lock (with Boric, A Williams, Moli, Paulo, and cover from Luatua).

It also sounds like Bryn Hall is on the verge of signing with the Blues (if he hasn't signed already).

Last edited:
I thought Anthony Boric was only about 50-50 to be playing next year? I hope he is back next year and fully fit again. He would add a lot to our locking depth.
I imagine the Crusaders would also be keen to sign Filipo so I wouldn't expect him to actually end up at the Blues but I think he is an option they should consider.
I hope Johnstone signs with the Hurricanes - I think his experience would be helpful in mentoring Jeff Allen and Reg Goodes.

That is good news about Bryn Hall. He looks like a great prospect. I wasn't impressed by his play in the U20 JWC but it seems like his injury affected his play significantly. What did impress me was his leadership. He seems like a great bloke and a very good leader. I hope he goes far (this may be difficult considering the competition he will have, but competition brings out the best in players).

Someone like Muliaina would be a great signing... This would be my ideal Blues lineup, if possible:

1 B Franks*
2 K Mealamu
3 C Faumauina
4 A Boric*
5 A Williams
6 S Luatua
7 L Braid
8 F Lee*
9 P Weepu
10 G Anscombe
11 R Ranger
12 M Nonu*/F Saili
13 M Muliaina*
14 S Stowers*
15 C Piatau
16 T McCartney
17 O Tu'ungafasi
18 L Moli
19 D Braid*/B O'Connor
20 B Hall*
21 M Hobbs/C Noakes
22 M McKenzie

Stars show who aren't signed yet. Muliaina would provide invaluable experience to guys like Piatau, McKenzie and even Saili.

I thought Anthony Boric was only about 50-50 to be playing next year? I hope he is back next year and fully fit again. He would add a lot to our locking depth.
I imagine the Crusaders would also be keen to sign Filipo so I wouldn't expect him to actually end up at the Blues but I think he is an option they should consider.
I hope Johnstone signs with the Hurricanes - I think his experience would be helpful in mentoring Jeff Allen and Reg Goodes.

That is good news about Bryn Hall. He looks like a great prospect. I wasn't impressed by his play in the U20 JWC but it seems like his injury affected his play significantly. What did impress me was his leadership. He seems like a great bloke and a very good leader. I hope he goes far (this may be difficult considering the competition he will have, but competition brings out the best in players).

Yeah, he isn't a 100% certainty, but at last report his recovery was looking promising (I will try to find the article I was reading about him...).

Someone like Muliaina would be a great signing... This would be my ideal Blues lineup, if possible:

1 B Franks*
2 K Mealamu
3 C Faumauina
4 A Boric*
5 A Williams
6 S Luatua
7 L Braid
8 F Lee*
9 P Weepu
10 G Anscombe
11 R Ranger
12 M Nonu*/F Saili
13 M Muliaina*
14 S Stowers*
15 C Piatau
16 T McCartney
17 O Tu'ungafasi
18 L Moli
19 D Braid*/B O'Connor
20 B Hall*
21 M Hobbs/C Noakes
22 M McKenzie

Stars show who aren't signed yet. Muliaina would provide invaluable experience to guys like Piatau, McKenzie and even Saili.

That would definately be a good lineup......until round 2 when half the team gets injured and they have to call up Parkes and Munro to play on the wing ;)

pretty sure munro has signed overseas? Japan?

been waiting for ages for news on Boric, would be great to see Mills back, and he would add a lot of value to the blues who have a ton of young backs.

Malneek's been really good, would be a shame not to see him play super rugby on his form. Such a shame if players are seen as has beens in NZ if they have not made the big time by 30.

been waiting for ages for news on Boric, would be great to see Mills back, and he would add a lot of value to the blues who have a ton of young backs.

Malneek's been really good, would be a shame not to see him play super rugby on his form. Such a shame if players are seen as has beens in NZ if they have not made the big time by 30.

I know Munro is playing overseas. It was a joke :)
Munro is playing in France (for Bordeaux Bègles) by the way - he started at first-five for them last weekend versus Toulon....

I don't think 3-4 good games after 5-6 seasons of mediocrity suddenly make Malneek a Super Rugby player. Sure, if continues his strong form the whole season he should be in contention just like anyone else, but I struggle to believe that a fullback who has never really looked like a Super Rugby player will suddenly turn into one at the age of 29.

Last edited:

Boric is doing better, read an article about him a short while ago. Chiefs are also aiming to lure Mils back to play center (wicked combo with Kaks).

I know Munro is playing overseas. It was a joke :)
Munro is playing in France (for Bordeaux Bègles) by the way - he started at first-five for them last weekend versus Toulon....

I don't think 3-4 good games after 5-6 seasons of mediocrity suddenly make Malneek a Super Rugby player. Sure, if continues his strong form the whole season he should be in contention just like anyone else, but I struggle to believe that a fullback who has never really looked like a Super Rugby player will suddenly turn into one at the age of 29.

I always thought he was one of Tasmans best players, certainly has been the past few seasons. At least he has had a few decent ITM games as opposed to McKenzie who has done nothing. Age shouldn't be a bigger factor than form. Wait until the young guys actually play well before picking them. Guys like Dan Kirkpatrick, Tyler Blyendaal, Jason Shoemark etc all got elevated above their post too early because they were young and made age grade teams, despite never really playing well enough at senior level to justify being picked any higher. Blyendaal is the latest example. He was awful in Super Rugby, and has continued to underwhelm in the ITM cup this season. Give it another season he will be warming the bench for the Blues then overseas to cash in.

Latest posts