The Distribution of Top Tier Rugby Clubs Around the World

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
I just thought i should really add this here because the numbers off how many players play in each Top Tier rugby are very interesting.

IRB-Player-Numbers.jpg

Some interesting numbers for sure. Strange to think that the US has so many senior men playing rugby (more than NZL and almost 4 times as many as Canada) but I suppose their overall population is so large.

The rugby participation in the Pacific Islands is just ridiculous! Samoa has a pop of 194K and has more than 23, 000 total players. That means 1 out of every 9 people in Samoa play rugby!

I've always seriously questioned these numbers, the numbers for Georgia seem comically low, the ones for England comically high for example.

Why's that?

To be fair the numbers in the UK are inflated by youth rugby I think....

I've always seriously questioned these numbers, the numbers for Georgia seem comically low, the ones for England comically high for example.
i'm not surprised with any off those numbers, i knew scotland will be quite low. Georgia doesn't really surprised me as most the senior players play in France, i knew the Pacific Isles will have a high number they have a huge interest in rugby. i didn't expect Ireland to have a big number though.

They are the number of players registered with the Union - I'm guessing that different countries will have different percentages of players registered.
I believe England includes any kids playing at school - which probably makes up at least 1.25million of our registered players.

isn't that thing from the 1980's though ? It says 2011 but that's just really clever photoshopping...

The numbers for Romania and Georgia in particular do seem ridiculously low. If those are accurate it's incredible how well they've done at the international level.

Last edited:

I'm sorry but that's just not convincing at all, that's just not gonna cut it my friend. You know what this brings to mind for me ? I imagine a little dude sitting on a PC chair stirring his haggis tea or wtvr lazily and typing "lies" sniffin eez boogers in...where's the fire, the passion, the livelihood, the loovelihive, the ketchup (I really need some for my fries, you got some ?), eh, the HUBRIS !!! ALL EYM ASKIN FOOR IS A LEETL BIT OF PUNCTUASHN..you know, just, a smile, an angry face, SOMETHING ! Did you know there were 78 tradagazillion muscles in the human face. Me ? I just askin fo a character or two more...

And what about Argentina????????????????????????

:devil::ranting::%#%#::ar15firing5de::gun_smiley:

Registered players about 120,000

:weightliftingnaner:

And what about Argentina????????????????????????

:devil::ranting::%#%#::ar15firing5de::gun_smiley:

Registered players about 120,000

:weightliftingnaner:
wouldn't surprise me if the irb or someone doesn't like Argentina

Why's that?

To be fair the numbers in the UK are inflated by youth rugby I think....

They must be massively, I'm not sure how Senior Male is defined here, whether it's over 21 or 18(or something else) but subtracting 166,762 from that number leaves us with 2,382,434. Obviously we'd need to account for some Senior female players and participation in the women's game is probably fairly high in England relative to some other countries, but let's say participation is even as strong as the men's game(which is probably overstating it by quite a bit) we'd still have 2,215,672.

Using the 2011 census, we have 6,421,554 English kids between the ages of 10-19. I suppose we could have a handful of 8-9 year olds playing at some very early age mini stuff and this is where the defintion of senior male not being defined is a real pain, but I've probably overstated senior female participation by a fair amount which might account for some of those factors. So therefore with my very quick and rudimentary analysis about 29% of English kids are playing rugby acccording to these numbers?....that seems high, not totally implausible but a stretch considering some children would simply not be able to participate in any sports whatsoever, and likely football and other games take a lot of interest away.

More senior males in Aus than NZ....

So according to that Rugby Union is bigger than golf, Fishing and on a par with Football in England....sorry utter rubbish. 160K senior male players might be correct.

So according to that Rugby Union is bigger than golf, Fishing and on a par with Football in England....sorry utter rubbish. 160K senior male players might be correct.
there are also more senior males in japan than there is in Nz by nearly double what nz have.

Yeah, but Japan's population is something like 25x New Zealand's, so it's not so surprising.

If the same statistics were done for football, there would be a hell of a lot more than 2.5 million registered footballers in England. This includes all youth and Sunday club teams, which would be registered.

The numbers are probably legit when you take into account youth leagues.

Also nice portrayal of how Wales are punching WAY above their weight as we all knew anyway. True rugby nation :D Edit - Probably helps that we apparently have the highest percentage of our playing population at senior age.

Last edited:

Latest posts