• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the games longevity

I

Inertia

Seems this games longevity lasted about a month. I'm quite shocked at how quickly the interest in peopel modifying it lasted only a few weeks.

i haven't played it for ages..partly because real life has been too busy but also because i'venot had the urge.

whats everyone elses opinion?

I've start playin again this week, forget how stupid turnovers are. Playin as France against Ireland, get turned over every 3rd phase yet they can string 10+ phases regradless of how isolated they are and how near my pack I am. I can't believe I spent 33 quid on it and I got NFL Madden for 13 pounds thanks to a few offers. I kno I won't be in such a rush 2 buy Rugby 2006.

Unfortunately, my gaming keyboard broke so I'm back using my shitty Microsoft KB. The upshot of this is I can only press 2 keys at once now - not enough to sprint diagonally while passing. So I can't play anymore.
<

After 2 months break from it, I started playing it again on the x box last night. Problem is I've been playing a lot of PES4 on PC and ESPN NFL on X Box recently, so in comparison to them I found Rugby on X box was pretty poor.

No offence to the Canadian Studio who made it, but why EA didn't use the studio who made Madden is beyond me. Why use the FIFA engine, the MAdden engine would have been much more suited to a rugby game. This is the underlying problem with the game, no momentum, lack of body physics, it's just like a series of animations. You can tackle someone who is about 8 yards from you, special moves are extremely in-effective, graphics very poor. I might even trade it in shortly. Multiplayer is still a good laugh but even that starts to get repetitive after a while.

Unless EA use the madden engine for the next rugby game, I fear there's little hope.

I'll probably give it a try again on the pc next week to see if that's any better, for some reason I did enjoy it a lot more on the pc.

thats exactly what i said ^^^^

madden is far closer to rugby than soccer

I've had the game since it came out and have not played a single game on hard yet. I have not played too often and so the game still feels like it's new to me. Last night I've finished the tri nations. WHat I did was to make all three teams user teams. That means I am able to play every game as a different team. It's pretty cool. Next will be world cup. I will make Japan one of the user teams, maybe Namibia as well and then SA. I've also recently started playing with a different view and that adds to the longevity, but I can see what you guys mean by life of this game, I say it is because of all the flaws this game is not standing as tall as it could have. The scrums are terrible.

Last night I scored a try with Mckaw, kicking the ball on the ground from the opposition's 22, the 2nd time I kicked the ball it looked more like a header than a kick. NAsty Ball physics. If you stick grubber kicks through the ball can go anywhere including backwards. Shocking. Shame on EA.

It seems there is some method to their madness.
I am confident in saying these guys have the means of creating a cracking rugby sim that works beautifully in every way(IMO). We will all buy it, but who will buy the one after that, and after that and after that? Creating a game with a short playlife is defenitely a factor for EA. That way they can sell the same game 100 times over with a different ***le and slightly improved.

Originally posted by Quintes@Jun 2 2005, 12:10 AM
I've had the game since it came out and have not played a single game on hard yet. I have not played too often and so the game still feels like it's new to me. Last night I've finished the tri nations. WHat I did was to make all three teams user teams. That means I am able to play every game as a different team. It's pretty cool. Next will be world cup. I will make Japan one of the user teams, maybe Namibia as well and then SA. I've also recently started playing with a different view and that adds to the longevity, but I can see what you guys mean by life of this game, I say it is because of all the flaws this game is not standing as tall as it could have. The scrums are terrible.

Last night I scored a try with Mckaw, kicking the ball on the ground from the opposition's 22, the 2nd time I kicked the ball it looked more like a header than a kick. NAsty Ball physics. If you stick grubber kicks through the ball can go anywhere including backwards. Shocking. Shame on EA.

It seems there is some method to their madness.
I am confident in saying these guys have the means of creating a cracking rugby sim that works beautifully in every way(IMO). We will all buy it, but who will buy the one after that, and after that and after that? Creating a game with a short playlife is defenitely a factor for EA. That way they can sell the same game 100 times over with a different ***le and slightly improved.
So I take it you won the tri nations then?

<
<
<
<
<
<

I mean really!? lol!

Originally posted by Black|Raven@Jun 1 2005, 10:50 PM
thats exactly what i said ^^^^

madden is far closer to rugby than soccer
I'd say thats debatable... NFL has no flow whatsoever, a play finishes and thats it. Both rugby and soccer are continuous motion games.

I only play multi-player on it now. The special moves don't seem to work against the AI too often.

Originally posted by locksley@Jun 2 2005, 11:50 AM
I only play multi-player on it now. The special moves don't seem to work against the AI too often.
man they don't work often and they are not meant too. I picked up the game a couple of days ago after not playing for about 3 weeks and had the most exciting game ever against Wales.

They ended up beating me 14-13 and I had a wonderful time.

The special moves work when applied at the right times. I called a pivot play and handed it off to D'Arcy and absolutely blew through the gap in the defence.

I still play the game about once or twice a week... I still enjoy it, but I've gotten too good for the AI (I'll score a 4 try minimum with 5 min halfs on each match) so I make little rules, like past the half way line I have only 3 phases before I have to kick it etc... It adds a little bit of fun.

yah people are way to critical with this game. I think its an excellent leap forward in rugby gaming and beats everything we previously had by a mile. Remember 2004 this game is 30x better!

Definately. If they fixed the situation with offloads, made the AI more intuitive (as in attack more and learn your tactics), fixed the ball physics and camera angles and made more set plays while making them execute faster and more fluedly, then this game would be up there with MADDEN!

Also of course is the problem with the Lions! In the next game they should be selectable from the word go in quick matches and on tours we should be allowd to play as the host nation! (This was one of the most iritating aspect of this game).

"I'd say thats debatable... NFL has no flow whatsoever, a play finishes and thats it. Both rugby and soccer are continuous motion games. "

I take you point Sanzar, but this is only because that's how NFl plays in real life, I don't think that they are limited to the stop start gameplay by the madden engine itself. I still think that the Madden developers should have been given the project, they've had years of experience of developing an engine to deal with body collisons, tackles, momentum physics, etc, whilst FIFA is just about kicking a football around (and lets face it, FIFA itself is poor compared to PES4) .

As critical as we all are, it is the best rugby video game I've played.

Does anyone else find it a lot better on the pc than the consoles or is it just me ?

Playing on hard is no longer challenging unless I play against a team which is obviously superior to mine. Multiplayer's still a laugh.

Hi Guys

I have edited my Super12 and i am looking for a full team id list so i can add teams such as Aussie A, Barbarians,All Stars,Northern Stars ect.If any body can please help it would be fantastic

I started over on WL and I only play a couple times a week now. It is definitely better. I lost 14-12 to the Wasps in the Knock-out semi-final when they drove the length of the pitch with 80:00 showing on the clock and I couldn't stop them. I must've hit them 7-8 times with the flying dive tackle, but no turnover.

Sweet!!!!

I have encountered the weirdest thing - I got bored of hard level, so I decided to edit the teams to make the games harder. It worked well and for weeks I have been having really close games. Against Ireland for instance, I used to struggle to win,with it never going beyond 3 points either way. However I have just played a ten natioans and out of the blue started thrashing everyone. I beat NZ 45-5. weird. I've just started playing the world cup and have just beaten Ireland 85-3 on hard level with edited teams! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??

I've rekindled my affair with this game in the last week and a bit.

Maybe because of the impending Lions tour. Actually, yes, because of the tour.

After a solid month and a half -or more- away from it, I've somehow settled into a nice feel for the game, and for hard level.

This also coincides with my switch from Side back to Classic 2 view.
(I've defected Los Lover, I've defected and I don't regret it
<
)

Either way, I'm enjoying the matches, even the occasional loss.

This also coincides with my switch from vodka back to Jim Beam.

Latest posts