• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

I can't see him not winning another major to be honest, too much talent in his long game. I also can't see him winning more than two more.

Golf is currently being played at a higher average level than any other era, throw prime Tiger in and I reckon you would cut his major tally by a third, Jack by more than half. So essentially dips in form are far harsher on results, Spieth is coming out of a horrendous dip and he's not the player Rory is and lesser players with better consistency like Rahm, Schauffele and Reed are always in and around the top 10. With at least 6-9 (yup) prime years ahead of him he'll have one or two more dominant seasons, majors could miss him sure but he's overdue.
Don't get me wrong. He is definitely capable of winning majors. And I hope he does get a green jacket and does the slam. But he is very flaky and inconsistent that the issue is you never know what he will do. And look at his career. Some of his best ever rounds were days before or after some of his worst.

On his game he is up there no doubt. It is getting his game etc and he reminds me of Harrington in that he is experimenting too much. He even said recently Bryce power made him try focus on power too much that made him loose other areas.

The thing with Rory is this time last year, he was the dominant force, pre covid. His issue usually seems to be he'll play an outstanding round of gold, 2 decent rounds and a horrific one, each can come at any point in the 4 days, and the bad one just takes him right out of contention.
On form he's still probably better than every other player, he just needs to find it again, but I think he's got some more majors in him. Whether its a masters, who knows, but when he's hot, that man is Fiyaaa
This is my point. He is inconsistent too often.

Don't get me wrong. He is definitely capable of winning majors. And I hope he does get a green jacket and does the slam. But he is very flaky and inconsistent that the issue is you never know what he will do. And look at his career. Some of his best ever rounds were days before or after some of his worst.

On his game he is up there no doubt. It is getting his game etc and he reminds me of Harrington in that he is experimenting too much. He even said recently Bryce power made him try focus on power too much that made him loose other areas.
Agree with everything yeah, he's the sort of player who can win when for would suggest he shouldn't make a cut or come last when he's been the dominant force in golf and at a course that suits him down to the ground. Definitely struggles with his focus and media attention exaggerates it.

Big fan of christening him Bryce Power by the way. It makes the fat ******* almost likeable!

Agree with everything yeah, he's the sort of player who can win when for would suggest he shouldn't make a cut or come last when he's been the dominant force in golf and at a course that suits him down to the ground. Definitely struggles with his focus and media attention exaggerates it.

Big fan of christening him Bryce Power by the way. It makes the fat ******* almost likeable!
On Bryce - I don't think it is possible to ever warm to him.

on Rory - That is it. His focus. This week Rory could be +5 after today then set a course record tomorrow to make the cut then finish tied 10th or something but well back. That is what he does.
Like if he eliminates the poor 1 round he challenges. Like even when Tiger won it 2 years ago - That was Rory's closest chance I think but I don't know was it the extra hype of playing with Tiger on the Sunday or what but he didn't capitalize.

On Bryce - I don't think it is possible to ever warm to him.

on Rory - That is it. His focus. This week Rory could be +5 after today then set a course record tomorrow to make the cut then finish tied 10th or something but well back. That is what he does.
Like if he eliminates the poor 1 round he challenges. Like even when Tiger won it 2 years ago - That was Rory's closest chance I think but I don't know was it the extra hype of playing with Tiger on the Sunday or what but he didn't capitalize.
There's talk about his new coaches approach which is less technical actually being good for him. One thing I've found in sports is you cant focus on technique while actually competing, you need to just relax and hit the damn thing (I come from a tennis background). Admittedly, it would be easier to do in golf due to the ball not travelling at you, but still, it provides too much tension with the pressure on

We'll see if he can break out again i next few months, and I mean in terms of competing for wins rather than top 10's

Self belief appears to be everything for him, and would be great to see him back, but golf is so unpredictable too

Yeah nah not a fan of Bryce, though I do respect people pushing boundaries of sports so Kudos to him

Surprised he even managed to stay at +4 with that round. damn

Justin looked good... wouldnt be surprised is -7 was a winning score here
Wait and see though he could set record today.

Rose looked good but again this course can be your best friend on Thursday but when a bit of spotlight comes on it will test you harder. Rose has a good mental game but it will make viewing fun.
Shane Lowry did well too. And is a grinder.

Patrick Reed is a guy I'd keep eye on though.

Went to bed last night when Fleetwood was on the 15th green. Bad decision!

JT is would be my best at the moment. Think Spieth has a higher margin of error. Hopefully Rosey gets it done though, been one of my absolute favourites since Medinah.

One of the best PGA's ever yesterday, Kiawah should have that tournament every 5 years minimum. Obviously Phil getting it done was unreal and historic but personally loved Harrington adding to the blast from the past vibe with a top4 finish, two tri-colours high on the leaderboard was fairly special.

Latest posts