• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

Graeme McDowell just made a 60ft putt to finish top10 in the Canadian open to qualify for the first Open in Portrush, his hometown, since the 40s. Delighted for him.

McIlroy has run away with the tournament with an 8 shot lead over second place Shane Lowry. I hope the Irish form goes into next week, savage stuff.

Strong feeling could be a v good week for Mcilroy.(ignoring teeing off the first)
Kuchar @ 50s e/w.

I stuck money on Van Rooyen -2 thru 13, Rahm -1 thru 3, Cabrera Bello +2, Molinari +4.

Feel bad for Rory but man does he compound errors. Let's hope Lowry brings her home.

"No one's ever won a major on the first day, but plenty of people have lost one" as they say.

Classic Rory

"No one's ever won a major on the first day, but plenty of people have lost one" as they say.

Classic Rory
I think I can empathize with England rugby fans because I'm a huge Rory fan. He often shows how brilliant he is but the last time he delivered on the biggest stage is hardly in living memory anymore! ;)

I actually thought Rory was gonna overcome his demons at one point today (something I never thought I'd say), which 'would've' been a huge moment in his career if it had happened... but then he missed the two tap-ins to double bogey the par three and his head was gone, never to be seen again.

I think I can empathize with England rugby fans because I'm a huge Rory fan. He often shows how brilliant he is but the last time he delivered on the biggest stage is hardly in living memory anymore! ;)
I'm also a fan, I want him to do well. Maybe not as much as I used to because I'm kinda getting bored of waiting but yeah.

Still at least he didn't octuple bogey anything right....? That's extraordinary. I freely admit I am one of the worst amateur golfers going, and I can't remember the last time I scored 13 on a hole

I'm also a fan, I want him to do well. Maybe not as much as I used to because I'm kinda getting bored of waiting but yeah.

Still at least he didn't octuple bogey anything right....? That's extraordinary. I freely admit I am one of the worst amateur golfers going, and I can't remember the last time I scored 13 on a hole
I was just joking, the Irish rugby fan is more equatable to Fowler...

Yeah, there's no tournament like the open to make guys give up on their rounds, McIlroy at least grinded, Woods and Duval didn't care. Duval playing the wrong ball is terrible, I've done that once and I'm pretty sure the penalty would have gone to my playing partner who hadn't declared his new ball (same make and number as mine) had we been playing a tournament round.

I was just joking, the Irish rugby fan is more equatable to Fowler...

Yeah, there's no tournament like the open to make guys give up on their rounds, McIlroy at least grinded, Woods and Duval didn't care. Duval playing the wrong ball is terrible, I've done that once and I'm pretty sure the penalty would have gone to my playing partner who hadn't declared his new ball (same make and number as mine) had we been playing a tournament round.
Devious little ****. Incredible what some people will do yo undermine the honest hard-working sportsmen among us. Course architects are the worst for this

Edit: to be honest I've definitely played the wrong ball n several occasions. If I'm
honest I've occasionally done it knowingly, I mean does it really count as a "different" ball per se, if it's in the same bush the old ball went in?

Hell of a round yesterday by McIlroy, showed real guts, of course if he wasn't golf's biggest choker it wouldn't have been needed.

Lowry had a nervy finish but hopefully it'll stand to him, the dream is fat Lowry beating Koepka down the stretch.

Amber picked Greg,
Morgan wins England a World cup
Ireland showing Uk who is boss at Brexit
And Lowry showing how it done in golf.

We surely are the better neighbour

Amber picked Greg,
Morgan wins England a World cup
Ireland showing Uk who is boss at Brexit
And Lowry showing how it done in golf.

We surely are the better neighbour
Mate I'm English and I'd be thrilled if Lowry won it (admittedly I'd prefer Fleetwood but still). The important thing is no American wins! Let's not turn this into a 6N thread ...

Mate I'm English and I'd be thrilled if Lowry won it (admittedly I'd prefer Fleetwood but still). The important thing is no American wins! Let's not turn this into a 6N thread ...
100% I love Tommy. I'm more happy as you say a European tour player will do it after the disrespect the likes of McIlroy gave the tour with his prep even. Just shows you nothing like prep in links will do.

What's the craic with some guy taking ages to take each shot?

Seen much much gnashing of teeth on social media about it - does his delay actually impact anything, or is it just that he's making everyone wait around and that could put them off their game?

What's the craic with some guy taking ages to take each shot?

Seen much much gnashing of teeth on social media about it - does his delay actually impact anything, or is it just that he's making everyone wait around and that could put them off their game?
Most players like to play fast, Holmes is notoriously slow. Koepka is having a bad round while playing with him but it can only count for so much, Lowry shot the course record playing with him yesterday and is one of the fastest on tour.

Most players like to play fast, Holmes is notoriously slow. Koepka is having a bad round while playing with him but it can only count for so much, Lowry shot the course record playing with him yesterday and is one of the fastest on tour.
Is it the case that "most players like to play fast"? Professional golfers take waaaaay longer to go round the course than me and my mates, given they play around 70 shots against my 100+ you have to conclude they aren't exactly rushing ...

I don't blame the individuals concerned, there's a lot at stake but they need to be incentivised. There should be an actual real danger of shot penalties being imposed for slow play, as things stand there isn't