• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Golf Thread

Go on Lowry, you fat legend!

Is it the case that "most players like to play fast"? Professional golfers take waaaaay longer to go round the course than me and my mates, given they play around 70 shots against my 100+ you have to conclude they aren't exactly rushing ...

I don't blame the individuals concerned, there's a lot at stake but they need to be incentivised. There should be an actual real danger of shot penalties being imposed for slow play, as things stand there isn't
It's relative like, 4.5hr rounds on a course with 3balls going out every 8-10 minutes is fairly good going on any day but pros do put a bit more into every shot than your average hacker. Guys like Holmes, Spieth and Dechambeau pushing 5hr rounds is what's classed as slow in comparison.
Played very little links and well depended on his caddy for knowledge. Over hyped a tad lately.
2 wins, a 85% top 10s, third in the world, playing at home, itade sense to me really.

Go on Lowry, you fat legend!

It's relative like, 4.5hr rounds on a course with 3balls going out every 8-10 minutes is fairly good going on any day but pros do put a bit more into every shot than your average hacker. Guys like Holmes, Spieth and Dechambeau pushing 5hr rounds is what's classed as slow in comparison.

2 wins, a 85% top 10s, third in the world, playing at home, itade sense to me really.
Yes but them previous wins, he played links in the build up competitively. Tiger said as much also this week. They simply don't have this stateside and you do need a tournament or 2 to really have a decent chance. Especially when the bad weather comes on. Rory did not prepare enough for links and paid the penalty I think. Never mind his first hole. His whole round was up and down and his skill level got him out of poor decision making at times.

Yes but them previous wins, he played links in the build up competitively. Tiger said as much also this week. They simply don't have this stateside and you do need a tournament or 2 to really have a decent chance. Especially when the bad weather comes on. Rory did not prepare enough for links and paid the penalty I think. Never mind his first hole. His whole round was up and down and his skill level got him out of poor decision making at times.
I have to disagree, he was in Ireland from at least July 7th, he was playing links golf the weekend of just not at the Irish Open. The 1st, 16th green and 18th on day one was his week done otherwise he played very assured golf and had a nearly flawless second round, best round on the course that day when the afternoon players averaged a shot worse than the morning guys. It's so clear the guy is totally overwhelmed by major golf these days, he didn't play his home open because he felt he needed to play the week before the tournament, (on a links course too I might add) he played massively within himself on Saturday at Pebble and any bad break would have been his undoing on Sunday it just happened to be a big one, and his first round at the other three majors left him too much to do. His actual physical preparation seems pretty good to me, he's one of the best tee to green and his putting stroke isn't one that crumbles under pressure. (although it won't win him anything when otherwise struggling) What lets him down is that his scrambling is something like 140th on tour and from watching him week after week it's not from any inability to play the shots it's from ******* simple ones up when in pressure positions, something he didn't have to face down the stretch in Canada or at the players. His 14th hole bunker shot where he ended further from the hole than where he began on Saturday in Pebble and not making relatively simple up and downs at 16 and 18 in Augusta on Thursday would be the prime examples this year, they basically ended his run at both tournaments and we're totally unforced.

Some changes are needed for sure. I don't think he's ever had an excellent caddy, compare his mate to Lowry's caddy this week and there is no comparison. There's no doubt his media persona needs work, he always manages to talk his way into being the most hyped guy at every major when it doesn't suit him one bit anymore in his career. His preparation, skill level and tournament selection seems fine to me, although I think he's focusing too hard on the importance of the last of those. Outside of the majors he's been one of the top two players on tour this year and hasn't had any desperately bad rounds, it definitely indicates to me that his issue is mental only.

I have to disagree, he was in Ireland from at least July 7th, he was playing links golf the weekend of just not at the Irish Open. The 1st, 16th green and 18th on day one was his week done otherwise he played very assured golf and had a nearly flawless second round, best round on the course that day when the afternoon players averaged a shot worse than the morning guys. It's so clear the guy is totally overwhelmed by major golf these days, he didn't play his home open because he felt he needed to play the week before the tournament, (on a links course too I might add) he played massively within himself on Saturday at Pebble and any bad break would have been his undoing on Sunday it just happened to be a big one, and his first round at the other three majors left him too much to do. His actual physical preparation seems pretty good to me, he's one of the best tee to green and his putting stroke isn't one that crumbles under pressure. (although it won't win him anything when otherwise struggling) What lets him down is that his scrambling is something like 140th on tour and from watching him week after week it's not from any inability to play the shots it's from ******* simple ones up when in pressure positions, something he didn't have to face down the stretch in Canada or at the players. His 14th hole bunker shot where he ended further from the hole than where he began on Saturday in Pebble and not making relatively simple up and downs at 16 and 18 in Augusta on Thursday would be the prime examples this year, they basically ended his run at both tournaments and we're totally unforced.

Some changes are needed for sure. I don't think he's ever had an excellent caddy, compare his mate to Lowry's caddy this week and there is no comparison. There's no doubt his media persona needs work, he always manages to talk his way into being the most hyped guy at every major when it doesn't suit him one bit anymore in his career. His preparation, skill level and tournament selection seems fine to me, although I think he's focusing too hard on the importance of the last of those. Outside of the majors he's been one of the top two players on tour this year and hasn't had any desperately bad rounds, it definitely indicates to me that his issue is mental only.
I will disagree with parts. I don't deny his talent and agree it's the mental side that was in need of preperation. But strongly feel links competitive golf was needed to really win this. Fleetwood and Lowry I believe were equipped. Ok Rory may have played practise rounds but even then I would say there is a difference. Also I agree on the caddies comment although JP was a good bag man just it went stale. And yes Rory had a great round Friday but he always does that when the race is run. That is where the difference between competitive and practice rounds kicks in.

Europe just won the Solheim cup in the most dramatic fashion I've ever seen in golf. Won with the last putt of the match on 18, by Suzanne Pettersen who hadn't played competitively in a year and a half... crazy.

Last edited:
Europe just won the Solheim cup in the most dramatic fashion I've ever seen in golf. Won with the last putt of the match on 18, by Suzanne Patterson who hadn't played competitively in a year and a half... crazy.

I was dreading seeing the americans a yelping on what looked like was going to be a drawn cup,just because they retained it.
Great finish.EEEEEUUUUURRROPPPPPPEEE

The first result I've properly enjoyed in Japan for over a month at this stage just happened. Tiger Woods won the ZOZO Championship in a fairly stacked field to equal (equal in name only, Tiger's achievement is far better due to the difference in eras and how tournaments are now classified) Sam Snead's record of 82 PGA wins.

Dominant win on what looked like a fun track, nice for him to win the first PGA event in Japan and Asia too considering he's by far the most prominent sportsperson of Asian heritage.

"It was an accident"
"I miscounted my score ... repeatedly ... and always in my favour"
"My teammate's watch just fell into my pocket. Ditto my other teammate's cash"

Charming fella. As trustworthy as the day is metallic.

Heard on the radio this morning that Rory McIlroy has turned down an invitation (and $2.5m payday) to play in Saudi Arabia, for moral reasons - fair play to the guy.

Wish more sportsmen would do the same - it's gross seeing the UFC/Boxing/WWE be wheels in their propaganda machine.

Heard on the radio this morning that Rory McIlroy has turned down an invitation (and $2.5m payday) to play in Saudi Arabia, for moral reasons - fair play to the guy.

Wish more sportsmen would do the same - it's gross seeing the UFC/Boxing/WWE be wheels in their propaganda machine.
Fair play to him

I've always really liked Rory despite the bashing he gets in this country. Cursed with Tiger comparisons but it's clear golf isnt his priority in life and he's better for it. This is just him being a class act which is more commonly than his on course or press conference blips.

Mcilroy, DJ v Fowler, Wolff is tonight on Sky Sports. It'll be the first bit of live sport I'll have watched since March. If you have any interest in golf at all it'll be worth a few minutes just to see Wolff's swing, its the first "homemade" swing to reach tour level in about 10 years I'd say.

Mcilroy, DJ v Fowler, Wolff is tonight on Sky Sports. It'll be the first bit of live sport I'll have watched since March. If you have any interest in golf at all it'll be worth a few minutes just to see Wolff's swing, its the first "homemade" swing to reach tour level in about 10 years I'd say.
Sounds fun. Starved of live sport, I'm keen on that for definite

You think he's replaced blow?

(Also do you actually think he's juicing? Looks like a guy who's stopped walking golf courses 5-7 times a week for two months to me)
I just saw a clip in the beginning and it just showed his chest and arms. I think your right that he's just gotten a little heavier the past couple weeks.

In general, I believe a fair amount of athletes will use the quarantine period for some risk free doping.

Donald Trump being interviewed and saying how he's fed up of watching old tournaments where you know who won... And then takes a jab at China. And now he's being asked about Rory who's just criticised him.