• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Haka

Another way to react to it is to give a huuuuge yawn halfway through the haka and just look generally uninterested.

The best way for Scotland to respond is to set themselves on the pitch to kick off and as soon as they start the Haka, kick the ball and chase after the ball and score a try...

The All Blacks wouldn't know what to do...

We've already established you can't do that in that other topic you made about the Haka.

Yeah but the Scots would just be a joke if they did it...

And plus the try wouldn't count, it would be the reaction...

And plus you know the Scots would knock it on or pass it forward or get hands in the ruck, so would f*** up anyways..

The only reason anyone cares about making an issue of the haka or how to respond to it is because the ABs are such a strong team.
No one gives a **** about the Samoans, Tongans and Fijians doing their war dance, the crowd and opposition enjoy it and pat the island boys on their heads and thank them for sharing their culture with them and that's it.
With the ABs however, there is the likelihood they are going to get their asses handed to them and so they do everything they can to try and gain some kind of mental advantage over a team who will generally spank them off the park 9 times out of 10.

So the coaches, management and desperate fans, ***** about it off and on the field to try and turn it into a distraction that they hope will help them win against the ABs. Simple as that. All the "cultural" aspects and the right of the ABs to perform a haka vs. our right to respond, blah blah blah is all a lot of crap and a smokescreen(albeit a transparent one) to cover what is essentially gamesmanship.

well could i just point out that i started this thread after seeing a letter in several papers (and on the fosrs site) written by a kiwi pleading the SRU to respond.

Do what the lithuanians did to the scotland fans yesterday at Hampden for their national anthem.

Turn their backs on them.

Or have the Scotland fans drown them out with a SCOOOOOOOTLAND.

I remember last RWC, the SRU asked Flower of Scotland to be played on the bag pipes - as it should be - but were told no. So why should NZ, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga be allowed to their war dances? Really, if the IRB allows for the Haka at the World Cup, then surely they should have respected Scotland's wishes too?

As for a response, there isn't much we can do really without offending someone these days. Probably the only thing we good do would be to send the weegies on to 'chib them mawn!'.

"Aye man, thats pyoor qwality. Ken I think they boys need a good kickin', lets get them tae **** mawn."

"hahaha, ayyyyyyyyeeee man."

lol.

How about getting a little 6 year old boy wtih a speech impediment to recite a poem he wrote about his pet dog that just died.
He could stand in front of the haka and read it and then offer it to nasty old Jerry Collins and hug him. Collins, alongside all the other ABs would proceed to break down into tears.
They will be emotionally unstable and nobody perfroms well like that.

Piece of cake.

<div class='quotemain'> Scotland should not respond. Enjoy the spectacle and don't **** over it like the WRU did!
We were deprived of an awesome sight that day, i still haven't forgiven the WRU for being such *****es.
[/b]

dont **** over it? im not sugesting we should make a mockery of it/force them to do it in private!

as bokmagic says, maori tradition is that one tribe will sing their song, and then the other tribe will respond, and then the first tribe will perform their haka, to which the other tribe will also respond. (although im no expert, ive heard this is what the tradition is - perhaps any kiwis on here could clear this up?)

and deprived of an awesome sight? if Scotland responded then it would make it a day that No fan there could ever forget! (and me really jealous - several family members have tickets! :( )

[/b][/quote]

I have no idea what you're on about.
I was just suggesting that the SRU should not go about it the same way as the WRU did.

I remember last RWC, the SRU asked Flower of Scotland to be played on the bag pipes - as it should be - but were told no. So why should NZ, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga be allowed to their war dances? Really, if the IRB allows for the Haka at the World Cup, then surely they should have respected Scotland's wishes too?

[/b]

is this true?

it actually makes me cringe to hear FoS played by a brass band - it just sounds ****! infact, i was full of praise for the French in may after they brought in a pipe band to play it.

can we have pipes at murrayfield or are we stuck with another sheit recording?

and as for Scotland - Lithuania, i was disgraced to hear the fans drowning out the Lithuanian anthem. We will have our chance to scare the **** out of the opponents, but at least respect their anthem!

I don't think they should respond. It's a tradition, and should continue like one. If someone wants to respond do it while playing, and winning the game.

The only reason anyone cares about making an issue of the haka or how to respond to it is because the ABs are such a strong team.
No one gives a **** about the Samoans, Tongans and Fijians doing their war dance, the crowd and opposition enjoy it and pat the island boys on their heads and thank them for sharing their culture with them and that's it.[/b]
Hmmmm now thats a damn good point. I never thought of it like that. I dont actually believe it should be allowed but you do make a good point.

<div class='quotemain'> The only reason anyone cares about making an issue of the haka or how to respond to it is because the ABs are such a strong team.
No one gives a **** about the Samoans, Tongans and Fijians doing their war dance, the crowd and opposition enjoy it and pat the island boys on their heads and thank them for sharing their culture with them and that's it.[/b]
Hmmmm now thats a damn good point. I never thought of it like that. I dont actually believe it should be allowed but you do make a good point.
[/b][/quote]
The Haka is great, the Samoan haka was intense last night, watched the first telecast, told my mates to turn on the second showing just to see the Samoans haka :p

The Haka is an amazing site and i think the only way to face it is head on wit hintesity, although respect for the performers (be it NZ, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga) should be maintained...

As for the WRU ******* over the Haka...maybe - however it was part of the centenary celebrations of matches between the two...in hte first game NZ did the haka and the Welsh responded by singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau....so they basically tried to recreate that....

When was it that the haka was perfomred in the changing rooms...was that the lions series?

Well, Scotland shouldn't do what Italy did. LOLZ

Italy and Wales have surely learnt their lesson.

yeah turning your back on it and pretending it's not there not the best way to handle it I think. It fires the abs up even more and it also sends a message that the abs are on top already and the opposition is a bit scared which defintely seemed so the way italy played for the first 20 odd mins or so. the best way to respond is head on linked arms staring at the abs and maybe taking a few steps forwads as well.

The Haka is an amazing site and i think the only way to face it is head on wit hintesity, although respect for the performers (be it NZ, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga) should be maintained...

As for the WRU ******* over the Haka...maybe - however it was part of the centenary celebrations of matches between the two...in hte first game NZ did the haka and the Welsh responded by singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau....so they basically tried to recreate that....

When was it that the haka was perfomred in the changing rooms...was that the lions series?
[/b]

It was on the grand slam tour of '05. I think opposition players can do whatever the hell they want. Usually it's them trying to defuse the intimidation that seems to go with it. And that makes sense. Personally I don't find it disrespectful to ignore it. But then again it's never helped any team who has. Australia, England, Italy and Wales have all dissed it at one time and they've been thumped on every occassion. That's nothing to do with disrespecting a country or their culture it's just ******* off 15 guys who want to hammer you regardless. So why wouldn't you stand up?

Latest posts