• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Haka

<div class='quotemain'>
The Haka is an amazing site and i think the only way to face it is head on wit hintesity, although respect for the performers (be it NZ, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga) should be maintained...

As for the WRU ******* over the Haka...maybe - however it was part of the centenary celebrations of matches between the two...in hte first game NZ did the haka and the Welsh responded by singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau....so they basically tried to recreate that....

When was it that the haka was perfomred in the changing rooms...was that the lions series?
[/b]

It was on the grand slam tour of '05. I think opposition players can do whatever the hell they want. Usually it's them trying to defuse the intimidation that seems to go with it. And that makes sense. Personally I don't find it disrespectful to ignore it. But then again it's never helped any team who has. Australia, England, Italy and Wales have all dissed it at one time and they've been thumped on every occassion. That's nothing to do with disrespecting a country or their culture it's just ******* off 15 guys who want to hammer you regardless. So why wouldn't you stand up? [/b][/quote]

I think the Haka is marvellous - and it never fails to make the hairs at the back of my neck stand up, and gives me goose pimples. Good luck to them, it is awesome, and part of the AB mystique, and long may it continue. I think any attempt to front it up would be a contrivance, and not carry the same feeling.

The Scots mincing up and down in kilts, blarting the pipes at them, would be just as much a joke as the thought of a troupe of Morris Dancers - or River Dancers from Ireland, clattering about. It would be like Monty Python's flying Circus, ffs, lol. The Haka, is the Haka, is the Haka - and that's it. It's unique, and I personally would be proud to to be on a field of play facing it, and would enjoy it immensely for what it was. Stand tall, appreciate it for the challenge and spectacle, and then try to answer it by playing the best rugby you can, and win the game. That's the only answer to it, in my view. Rise to it manfully, and beat them - if you can.

Just do what Chabal did early this year during the French tour of NZ in June.

Big Kudos to him for that.....and that's how it's supposed to be done.

I'm torn on the Haka. I do love the tradition and the symbolism of the whole thing, but then I'm also of the opinion that it gives an unfair advantage to NZ. Why should they be allowed to perform the Haka before every match. What makes them special that they should be allowed to perform this ritual that gives them an undouted edge in terms of psyching themselves up for the game???

I'm torn on the Haka. I do love the tradition and the symbolism of the whole thing, but then I'm also of the opinion that it gives an unfair advantage to NZ. Why should they be allowed to perform the Haka before every match. What makes them special that they should be allowed to perform this ritual that gives them an undouted edge in terms of psyching themselves up for the game??? [/b]

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. The Haka and the ABs go together like horse and carriage, or roast beef and yorkshire pudding. It is the personification of the spirit of the team. It is the cultural difference that makes the world go round, and shows the diversity of everything. I can't see it giving an unfair advantage unless you believe that the team facing it becomes frightened of it, and therefore shrinks within themselves - which is more a problem that team would have rather than the Haka. If they are pysching themselves up to be challenging warriors, then stand tall and accept the challenge, and out-warrior them by winning the game by playing it hard, fair, muscularly, and well. Earn their respect. The Haka would psyche ME up to show them that as an opponent we are worthy of their respect, and respect them for it, too.

But all this is wrapped up in the Haka, and I enjoy it as much as the Aloha greeting when in Hawaii, and the garlands are put on your neck, and the girls dance for you. This can only really be done in the South Pacific as getting off a plane in a wet Glasgow, or Manchester, and having the local Vicky Pollards flinging a haggis at you, or a chain of black puddings, wouldn't have the same effect - lol.

Equally daft is the thought of out-Hakaing the Haka. Enjoy it for what it is.

Well it's like I said, I do love the tradition and the symbolism of the whole thing and I admit I'm looking forward to seeing it first hand for the first time when I'm at Murrayfield for the Scotland V NZ game on the 23rd of September.

Yes by all means teams should be able to accept it as a challange and to stand up against it. Use it as a means of psyching themselves up of course. I just do however see it as slightly unfair that before the beginning of every game the AB's are allowed to perform something which is so unique and heartfelt to themselves, thereby automatically giving them a huge psycholgical boost at the beginning of the game.

Like I said, I'm torn.

Well it's like I said, I do love the tradition and the symbolism of the whole thing and I admit I'm looking forward to seeing it first hand for the first time when I'm at Murrayfield for the Scotland V NZ game on the 23rd of September.

Yes by all means teams should be able to accept it as a challange and to stand up against it. Use it as a means of psyching themselves up of course. I just do however see it as slightly unfair that before the beginning of every game the AB's are allowed to perform something which is so unique and heartfelt to themselves, thereby automatically giving them a huge psycholgical boost at the beginning of the game.

Like I said, I'm torn.

[/b]

Ah well - don't be torn, just go with the flow, and enjoy the ride........

What I can't understand is, as someone watching the haka, don't you get just as fired up as the AB's?

I know when I watch it, I'm pretty fired up too!

So I would have thought that opponents facing the haka would get a big buzz from just as much as the AB's do?

I can understand how other teams might feel disadvantaged but I don't think the All Blacks win because they perform the Haka.

Will, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Here in NZ every high school has a unique Haka which is performed before big games. Watching two teams lay down the challenge to each other is truly a sight to behold.

The tradition of the Haka, while being something of an exhibition piece in the first half of last century, has become very close to Kiwi's hearts over the last 20-30 years with the renaissance of Maori culture within our society.

It's something very unique in sport and makes a rugby international match against a pacific nation an even more special occasion.

Personally, I wish NZ fans could sing our boys on like the NH nations do. Listening to 65,000-80,000 of my countrymen singing as one (as fans at Murrayfield and the Millenium will no doubt do this weekend) would give any team a massive motivational boost!

But, its just another of the little things that makes international rugby magic!

I'll admit, just watching that on youtube gives me shivers down my spine. I can only imagine what it would have been like to see that first hand, though I can guess from the reaction of the crowd.

What I can't understand is, as someone watching the haka, don't you get just as fired up as the AB's?

I know when I watch it, I'm pretty fired up too!

So I would have thought that opponents facing the haka would get a big buzz from just as much as the AB's do?

I can understand how other teams might feel disadvantaged but I don't think the All Blacks win because they perform the Haka.

Will, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Here in NZ every high school has a unique Haka which is performed before big games. Watching two teams lay down the challenge to each other is truly a sight to behold.

The tradition of the Haka, while being something of an exhibition piece in the first half of last century, has become very close to Kiwi's hearts over the last 20-30 years with the renaissance of Maori culture within our society.

It's something very unique in sport and makes a rugby international match against a pacific nation an even more special occasion.

Personally, I wish NZ fans could sing our boys on like the NH nations do. Listening to 65,000-80,000 of my countrymen singing as one (as fans at Murrayfield and the Millenium will no doubt do this weekend) would give any team a massive motivational boost!

But, its just another of the little things that makes international rugby magic! [/b]

the thing that ****** me off (certainly with FoS) is when someone leads the crowd.

this actually ruines the atmosphere and disguises the sheer volume of noise created by the fans. let the fans sing it accompanied only by the imistakeable sound of the massed pipes and drums. (for want of an example - 1990 grand slam match, probably the most emotional rendition of FoS EVER heard, and the fact half the crowd finish a bar ahead of the rest just furthers this. (it really is amazing when that many people are singing that even after the music finishes you can still hear not just signing, but the actual tune)

on a side note, does anyone know is the murrayfield pipes and drums will be present at murrayfield next week - or are the IRB picking and choosing the traditions they allow during the world cup. (for me, surprisingly, the sound of Highland Cathedral fires me up pretty well, but i think both teams will emerge to World in Union next week. :( )

I'm torn on the Haka. I do love the tradition and the symbolism of the whole thing, but then I'm also of the opinion that it gives an unfair advantage to NZ. Why should they be allowed to perform the Haka before every match. What makes them special that they should be allowed to perform this ritual that gives them an undouted edge in terms of psyching themselves up for the game??? [/b]

Then petition the SRU to come up with a traditional Scottish dance that psyches them up...

Now will you stop complaining and enjoy the massacre. :p

All this rubbish about the ABs getting a pscyhological advantage before the game rah rah rah...the opposition can do whatever they like during that time aswell so theres no excuses. The question isnt if scotland should respond or not...ofcourse they want to respond...everyone wants to respond, the REAL question is what can they do to respond without ******* them off.

Problem is that in this PC obsessed day and age we're limited as to what we can do. To turn our backs would be 'disrespectful' and we'd probably **** off most of New Zealand and it would culminate with Salmond having to issue an offcial apology or some shite.

The only thing any other nation that doesn't have a dance of their own can do is just get right up there in their faces.

The boks came up with a war dance of some sort. I think its all a gimic. I think the haka itself might be used to psych up the AB but I think that a counter to it doesnt serve much purpose unless it does the same , i.e. psych up your team, i dont think u can "counter" the haka, i.e. demotivate the AB's i dont know if that makes any sense

I think the best thing to do is not face them, just ignore them but then someone said that only makes them madder, and provokes them further..so what to do???? LOL

The boks came up with a war dance of some sort. I think its all a gimic. I think the haka itself might be used to psych up the AB but I think that a counter to it doesnt serve much purpose unless it does the same , i.e. psych up your team, i dont think u can "counter" the haka, i.e. demotivate the AB's i dont know if that makes any sense

I think the best thing to do is not face them, just ignore them but then someone said that only makes them madder, and provokes them further..so what to do???? LOL

in the example i mentioned it would not be to "demoralise" the AB's, but to motivate the crowd and get them (lets face it, there scotlands biggest asset) behind the team. what better way to win over the crowd and get them fired up by showing - even before kick-off - that your prepared to stand up to them and give them a fight!

The hakas a challenge and I guess it's up to each team or individual to respond to that challenge in which ever way they see fit. Personally seeing a team lined up eyeballing the ABs as they do the haka shows that they are up to the challenge and it certainly fires the crowd up. One of the best responses to the haka was, here my memory fails me, during the 90's(?) when Cockerill was mouthing off at Norm Hewitt during the haka and they ended up inches from each other, practically nose to nose, it looked like they were going to bring the biff then and there. Hewitt later said that he respected the way Cockerill stood up and faced the challenge.

Latest posts