• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The HYPE! What was up with that??

Rugby 08 in Hd. Piece of ****. The people at Trf said it was amazing as well as a lot of other people. Was so pumped when I read the reviews. Then the trailer comes out. I said it was 08 in hd. People said wait til the demo comes out before having an opinion of it. They were WRONG. The funny thing is I'm still going to get it!!!!

Amazing ... please quote and from whom.

I mean come on, everyone that got their hands on the game before the demo raved about it madly in their articles!

Not surprisingly TRF gave it a rave review

The people at Trf said it was amazing as well as a lot of other people.

I'm pretty sure they didn't (the people at TRF I mean). There's a difference between something being absolute rubbish (1-2 out of 10), poor(3-4 out of 10), a missed opportunity (5 out of 10), reasonable (6 out of 10), Very good (7 out of 10), a pretty great game (8 out of 10), Incredibly good (9 out of 10) and an all time great (10 out of 10).

Note those grades are just a rough guideline, to show that there are degrees of enjoyment that might relate to the perspective of hype you might've noticed.

I got the distinct impression that most of the guys thought it was Very Good (about 7 out of 10). Hardly a rave review. :)

No-one was jumping out of their chair saying that this would be a "must have" game or that the improvements were huge. A lot of this is hyperbole and exaggeration.

I'm pretty sure they didn't (the people at TRF I mean). There's a difference between something being absolute rubbish (1-2 out of 10), poor(3-4 out of 10), a missed opportunity (5 out of 10), reasonable (6 out of 10), Very good (7 out of 10), a pretty great game (8 out of 10), Incredibly good (9 out of 10) and an all time great (10 out of 10).

Note those grades are just a rough guideline, to show that there are degrees of enjoyment that might relate to the perspective of hype you might've noticed.

I got the distinct impression that most of the guys thought it was Very Good (about 7 out of 10). Hardly a rave review. :)

No-one was jumping out of their chair saying that this would be a "must have" game or that the improvements were huge. A lot of this is hyperbole and exaggeration.

That is exactly how I rated it a 7/10, something I'm going to really enjoy but nothing earth shattering, some members have even admitted to rating it a 1 just to cause trouble...a 1 should be an unplayable game, like Big Rig Racing.

That is exactly how I rated it a 7/10, something I'm going to really enjoy but nothing earth shattering, some members have even admitted to rating it a 1 just to cause trouble...a 1 should be an unplayable game, like Big Rig Racing.

Exactly. Somehow the TRF mods are coming under fire for saying they "liked" it. Liking it is not saying that it was anything revolutionary. In fact they'd said that it wasn't a huge step forward or change from Rugby '08. Just that they liked the changes in game-play that are there.

I don't entirely agree with the assessment of my fellow TRF moderation team, there are areas where I think it's a little worse than some of the other Rugby ***les they've made and yet better in others. Still, I've only played the demo. All the moderation team will have opinions that vary on the game for sure, but it seems that most of them have come out somewhere between the 6 and 8 score range which is hardly shouting from the hilltops about it.

I was one of the first to say wait and play the demo, not knowing they would give us the demo with only easy difficulty and sideline view. I never, never play sideline view. I would try it on 06, and 08 and always switch it back to end on. Do you people not see, that the rucking, and forward play is different and has a completely different feel. Even the animation for the rucking and how they go into the ruck is completely different. You have to handle the rucks different and I imagine when you play med, hard, setting it will be even more prominent the changes they made. Very difficult with the easy setting on the demo to see these changes, because all you have to do is spin the ball out wide and go for the try, don't have to worry about getting turned over, don't have to bother using your forward, and you barely get a chance to even play defense because you always have the ball, the demo is one dimensional because of the easy setting and that dimension we have all seen with rugby 06, 08. We need the other difficult settings to see the new functions put to the test. New functions like, rucking tactics, defensive strafe, full control of your forwards on the line, chip kick, and defensive rucking, the rucking is nothing like 06, 08. But if you want to button mash for both 08,and 2011 and thats the way you play you can and then it will seem similar to 08. Now in saying that, we will need the full game to see if 2011 rucking will be better then 08. At first glance it feels like it will be better.
Cheer and Salud
Cheers and Salud

What hype? Im pretty sure the TRF boys and some other previewers said it was good... 7/10 and 6/10 were some of the scores i saw..

However, i think an Irishman gave 8/10... But we all know irishmen cant count so....

What hype? Im pretty sure the TRF boys and some other previewers said it was good... 7/10 and 6/10 were some of the scores i saw..However, i think an Irishman gave 8/10... But we all know irishmen cant count so....
Oh great insult. I have seen the errors of my ways. (Im being sarcastic if u noticed)

I haven't read this thread, but the irony of a poster calling himself Giteau complaining about hype is delicious.

I did notice that, will this thread wear a stupid scrum cap despite being magnetically repelled from any type of physical contact

I haven't read this thread, but the irony of a poster calling himself Giteau complaining about hype is delicious.

wow... are you honestly going there? what is it with you people? I simply joined this forum to read some news and updates, hardly to post at all, does it really matter if I named my username after my favourite rugby player? I would like to have this thread deleted please... The topic is going nowhere because 80% of you guys can't have a basic senseful discussion.

wow... are you honestly going there? what is it with you people? I simply joined this forum to read some news and updates, hardly to post at all, does it really matter if I named my username after my favourite rugby player? I would like to have this thread deleted please... The topic is going nowhere because 80% of you guys can't have a basic senseful discussion.

WARNING - OP is reversing

wow... are you honestly going there? what is it with you people?

Please don't sound like your stereotyping all members of these forums as though they all share a common opinion. Anyone who's seen them discuss real rugby in other threads can plainly tell that our long standing members don't all just get along. This is just a couple of guys who have opposing views to your own. :)

If they call you any actual verbal insults we'll draw the line firmly. :)

On topic all gents please. :D

Please don't stereotype the all members of these forums as though they all share a common opinion. Anyone who's seen them discuss real rugby in other threads can plainly tell that our long standing members don't all just get along. This is just a couple of guys who have opposing views to your own. :)

If they call you any actual verbal insults we'll draw the line firmly. :)

On topic all gents please. :D
Actually, I wasn't referring to all TRF members. Where'd you get that from? By "you people" , I was referring to those that try to have a go at anyone and anything on here. I never said "all you TRF forum members" , you just automatically assumed what I was referring to??? ... Sheesh. Threads are full of this nonsense!

Last edited:
Actually, I wasn't referring to all TRF members. Where'd you get that from? By "you people" , I was referring to those that try to have a go at anyone and anything on here. I never said "all you TRF forum members" ... Sheesh

Nah, had a typo there mate. I'll correct it.

I didn't believe you were definitely doing it. Just sounded like it the way it was worded. Anyhow, back on topic. :)

Actually, I wasn't referring to all TRF members. Where'd you get that from? By "you people" , I was referring to those that try to have a go at anyone and anything on here. I never said "all you TRF forum members" , you just automatically assumed what I was referring to??? ... Sheesh. Threads are full of this nonsense!

exit-sign.jpg

Nah, had a typo there mate. I'll correct it.

I didn't believe you were definitely doing it. Just sounded like it the way it was worded. Anyhow, back on topic. :)

Thank you! You have silenced my rattle :) Fully understand your concern now. Cheers. Right, moving along.

Latest posts