• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The HYPE! What was up with that??

Given the difficulties on HB's side, I'm sure developing on the existing platform of Rugby '08 was the only logistically feasible step. :)

This is complete speculation
(but at least I state that in my posts) and I may be well out, but I'd be guessing myself that the budget difference could've been something along the lines of $10million to $2million.

Most games do build on their predecessors, but they remove bugs and glitches and improve on them. HB didn't do this.

Most games do build on their predecessors, but they remove bugs and glitches and improve on them. HB didn't do this.

That's incorrect. Rugby World Cup has removed some bugs and improvement is in the eye of the beholder. Some people feel there has been an improvement in the way the game plays with the new ruck feature and with how the tackle locks on more effectively. The goal kicking on easy is about as hard as it was on medium and will be harder on medium and hard in the full game. The scrums are marginally more contestable and scrums are properly wheel-able now. Lineouts are arguably over-simplified now, but some will like that.

HB have made changes, many of them to core gameplay, they have removed some bugs and gameplay irritations. I'm certain that not all bugs have been removed and this is a little disappointing, but I'm keeping things in perspective.

My opinion is exactly that, an opinion. If you'd said "I feel that HB didn't do this", you'd of been quite correct (from your own point of view). Stating it as a fact though makes it more of a "my opinion is fact" kind of thing, which doesn't come off sounding quite right. :)

I would still think applying all the other factors we do know about, there would likely have been a reasonable resource difference.

How are you reasoning this? Because one looks **** and the other does not, its safe to assume the one that looks of lesser quality had less funding?

..... sorry just waiting for a TRF staff member to ask me which one im talking about when I say one looks good ....

How are you reasoning this? Because one looks **** and the other does not, its safe to assume the one that looks of lesser quality had less funding?

..... sorry just waiting for a TRF staff member to ask me which one im talking about when I say one looks good ....

Thought as an old respected member of TRF you would know better than to use foul language, how times have changed.

Last edited:
How are you reasoning this?

I'm reasoning this from the solid fact that HB have initially taken this project up with no publisher/producer, whilst still doing work for another (EA). They have not done this before, many developers do not undertake large projects without the backing of a successful publisher/producer. That does not allow for a great deal of funds when compared to someone who does already have that kind of backing and investment.

Did you not once work for Sidhe in some capacity? I could swear that you were in the back of the booklet for Rugby League 1 with Locksley? :lol:

Mind you, your Pickle now. ;)

I'm reasoning this from the solid fact that HB have initially taken this project up with no publisher/producer, whilst still doing work for another (EA). They have not done this before, many developers do not undertake large projects without the backing of a successful publisher/producer. That does not allow for a great deal of funds when compared to someone who does already have that kind of backing and investment.Did you not once work for Sidhe in some capacity? I could swear that you were in the back of the booklet for Rugby League 1 with Locksley? :lol:Mind you, your Pickle now. ;)
I have been rumbled? Why did I ever admit to having an alternate username on a public forum? How could I have been so foolish?Yes I am clearly in league ( no pun intended ) with Sidhe as is fully apparent in threads such as the below.http://forums.sidhe.co.nz/showthread.php?19130-Should-Sidhe-take-some-tips-off-of-Rugby-06

I have been rumbled? Why did I ever admit to having an alternate username on a public forum? How could I have been so foolish?Yes I am clearly in league ( no pun intended ) with Sidhe as is fully apparent in threads such as the below.http://forums.sidhe.co.nz/showthread.php?19130-Should-Sidhe-take-some-tips-off-of-Rugby-06

Not sure what rumbled means here unless it's "I realise that I could be made out to be biased too, when I'm really not". I believe that your not biased Stephen, but honestly neither are we. I'm starting to find the whole "them and us" thing kind of ridiculous.

I have been treated to absolutely nothing by HB. Or Sidhe. I wish I had been.

I want both games for different reasons. RC will be better than RWC in a lot of ways. Maybe in gameplay too, but I haven't played it yet (though it looks like it plays well). I have an open mind as to what expect from each ***le. :)

I just don't believe in telling (or inferring to) fans that they shouldn't buy a particular ***le, or that one is absolute ********. I think it should be about "point out the positives and negatives in each ***le".

I think some of the talk has got a little on the unproductive side for rugby gaming in general. :)

Can I just say that I don't think rwc is a bad game and I don't think RC will be perfect. but I think the anger and frustration from alot of members is largely due to a distinct feeling that those who have bothered to follow the game have been led down the garden path a bit. This thread originally alluded to the "hype" which the game certainly didn't quite live up to. At the beginning there certainly was an feeling that hb were listening and taking notes. That they had taken on board the problems of 08 and had gone back to the drawing board. The first q&a was promising and people started to raise expectations for the game. Tbf i think everyone's expectations were too high. But unfortunately there was little done to either meet these expectations or bring them back to reality. There was a long silent period from hb. Then there was a constant trickle of disappointing news about the game. Low budget. No career. No 6nations. No clubs. No mods. Loss of licenses. Then the trailer. Then the demo. And at each stage trf has seemed a little tone deaf to the disapointment that some feel towards the game. It has seemed also (fairly or not) that they have propped it up to some extent aswell. The reviews didn't rave but also didnt put it context of the hype that there has been. True expectations were too high and the game isn't bad, but I don't think you can blame people wanting a little more considering how much the game was talked up. I would still have bought it even if they'd said at the beginning "it's basically 08 on ps3, but we can't afford stuff so if you buy this we'll make a better one next time." but I guess I do feel slightly misled. But I guess that's my fault.
Not a troll, honest. :)

I agree. Take a look at a game like Hawken - made by 8 or 9 guys over 8 months. Compare that to a similar game - mechwarrior.

Obviously a fps is completely different than a rugby game, but it does show what can be done when ppl care what they're making, and have a love for the genre - budget or not.

Ok, I've got to jump in and add my few cents.

For everyone who is comparing the two games, it's quite apparent now as to which game will outshine even early in this stage whereby prior to the release of both games - which is Sidhe's All Blacks Rugby Challenge. I can outline all the specifics why but the majority of users already am aware of what those reasons are.

Secondly I have to admit that I am not extremely impressed by the RWC2011 game because (us) as consumers deserve a better full-fledged effort for a full priced game. But in saying that I am considerably happy that HB Studios did stick to their guns by finishing the rugby ***le - for which a lot of rugby fans (rugby games fans too) would be delighted about. They (HB ) definitely had to contend with the competing game (you know which one) and is mostly why RWC2011 is what it is - licence, feature, presentation wise (I could go on ;-p).

Lastly, if you do not like the RWC demo then I recommend this:

PLAY RWC2011 (demo) with a group of mates, this I can guarantee will change your perspective on the game as a whole. I played this game with the computer and easily got annoyed with it, but as soon as I played with mates this drastically changed. The game is what it is and is very enjoyable in MULTIPLAYER!

tldr?? PLAY with mates
and then make your final judgement. This game can be fun...

And oh, let's not forget about the online component! - I'm sure I will enjoy beating a lot of TRF members here (some more than others - you know who u are) :)

Last edited:
Really worried about the people on the RC Facebook page especially CV. He stated that he will buy RC on all platforms availible. Why would you do this. It sometimes seems that they are giving those guys a drug or something. I agree the game looks good but it also seems to have flaws, but hey I will wait until I buy the game before I make up my own mind and not be told by some puppy dog that RC is the greatest game ever

lol you can't pick the ball up from a scrum with the 8 man in RC they suck...

im disapointed about the fact that players schal habana juan smith etc actually looked better on 08 than on 11
Thats just age my friend. My wife looked a whole lot better two years ago too.

Dissapointing but you just have to live with it.

Latest posts