• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The impact of playing at home

mkersyshull

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
After looking at the results at the weekend, I noticed in the super rugby quarters, URC quarters and the last round of the premiership, all games where won by the home team. In the top 14 it was only 4 out of 7 won by the home team.
Not 100% sure what my question is but thought it was interesting

Attachments

• AB39734F-E796-4EEA-BDD8-04DB7EF821D7.png
    AB39734F-E796-4EEA-BDD8-04DB7EF821D7.png
    646.2 KB · Views: 4
Well in playoffs the stronger seeded team will always be at home (excluding the strange URC format), so home wins are to be expected. Whereas in a regular week like England or France it's a bit more pot luck.

I don't know what the stats show in terms of home advantage for rugby compared to other sports sadly.

Home advantage had less of an effect during Covid. It completely flipped my perception of it, I thought it routine, comfortability and familiarity were primary factors that aided home teams but the crowd definitely plays a massive part. I always thought it was just pandering to the fans when players mentioned how much of a difference it can make but looking at it differently now.

I think one of the biggest deciding factors of the Heineken Cup final was how loud La Rochelle were whilst Leinster sent a bunch of Altar boys that gave other fans dirty looks for cheering for their team*.

*The second time I've experienced this in France, a large portion of our fan base need to remove the sticks from their holes.

I realise this adds little to this thread but I'm still not over it.

I realise this adds little to this thread but I'm still not over it.

I've got a 7 year headstart in shoehorning in Craig Joubert's RWC semifinal antics at every available opportunity. I wasn't at the game or even a particular fan of Scotland beyond having a soft spot for them. Best to just resign yourself that you'll be taking it to the grave or until Leinster win the Euro cup again. :p

A long time ago (15 plus years) I read a study that showed quite a significant effect of home advantage on referees 50 50 decisions in football. So, guven rugby has about a thousand 50 50 decisions per game, you'd have to think this is a big factor. But then other factors like the players interaction with the referees, what happens I. The first scrum, etc are likely to also have a big influence in the referrres.

Apart from that, you definitely see teams being lifted by the crowd, like the drua in their home games. Especially when you are behind, that encouragement can really help.

yeah, dont really find it surprising, always kind of thought home teams have an advantage such as the crowd or even smaller things like those the wind or lack of wind might effect kicking

add to that what @Bruce_ma gooshvili said about teams finishing higher on the ladder being the home team....all makes sense

Chuck in the effects of travel even if just a few hours down the motorway, sleeping in unfamiliar hotel beds etc.

In football Liverpool were crap at Anfield when their home crowd wasn't there during Covid. Went from Champions to fourth - says it all. Back to second once home crowds returned.

There's a saying that the home crowd are the 12th man or 16th man in rugby.

Someone posted on the forum previously that studying Premiership rugby games, home advantage dropped dramatically without crowds during covid.

Whenever I've read discussions between people who handicap rugby games, the consensus has been that home advantage is worth around 6 points.

How much playing behind closed doors negated home advantage certainly confirmed that the crowd are a significant factor in creating the phenomenon, but doesn't explain whether it's their influence on the players or the officials. I was surprised that factors like lack of travel, familiar preparation and familiarity with playing conditions arent a bigger factor.

After looking at the results at the weekend, I noticed in the super rugby quarters, URC quarters and the last round of the premiership, all games where won by the home team. In the top 14 it was only 4 out of 7 won by the home team.
Not 100% sure what my question is but thought it was interesting
You have to effects here and i believe you are combining them. Typical 1/4 finals. 8 teams, lets rank em: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, 8.
Generally you get something along the lines of 1v8, 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5, AND 1, 2, 3 and 4 play at home. That is done so to reward those who finish better during the regular season.

So when you say that 1,2,3 and 4 won, well, you shouldn't conclude they did because of home advantage. The evidence suggests they were better to begin with (hence the rank).

How much is because the team is better and how much is due to home advantage? god knows. You could do some sort of stat analysis. I know that's been done in other sports, havent seen one for rugby tho.

Is that home advantage for the team playing better with a crowd or more getting the refs decisions more I wonder.

Latest posts