• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Irish Civil Service

S

shazbooger

For anyone not aware, Ireland is about a year from doing an Iceland and being broke. Well if it wasnt for the EU we would have done an Iceland.

Either way the Government is being forced to look at its expenditure and work out how to reduce how much we are spending. One of the main target areas will be in public sector pay.

In response to the inevitable, the unions are all mobilising looking to defend their staff and the media are wading in to attack what is probably the highest paid civil service in Europe.

We have all heard some great stories but the Garda (Police) "premium" allowance pretty much takes the bisquit for me.

(Source: The Irish Times)

On top of overtime rates for Saturdays and Sundays (fair enough), a rent allowance (wah?), a boot allowance (eh?) a uniform allowance (wha?), a cycling allowance (good), unvouched expenses of up to 30 per week (for some staff), an allowance for being contactable out of hours (senior staff) they also qualify for an allowance which is ..... get this ............. paid to members who are on leave and would ordinarily be able to claim unsocial hours allowances.

They get an allowance to compensate them for the fact that they cant claim allowances while on holiday!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 12 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sits back with popcorn, awaits Shtove getting pwned by Prestwick...[/b]

Grabs chair and place it next to Mite.

"Mite, share the popcorn...and can you get me a Coke?"

"Cheers mate, let the show roll".

*sits next to Mite and Juggernaut. Guest appearance included.*

popcornj.gif

Sorry. I can't get into this. It makes me lose the will to live.

Anyway, Irish gardai don't take holidays - they have B&Bs to run in their spare time, bought with mortgages financed by this kind of crap.

I'm seriously wondering what I missed here :) but this topic now reminds me of the person in Russia (old communist Russia) who stopped at a door and started to queue, only to be joined by others who didnt know what they were queueing for, but queued all the same.

Wow, really?

At least we left something decent behind before we left. First rule of politics: keep the guys with guns sweet. Thats what Thatcher did down to a T. She even doubled overtime for the Metropolitan Police during the Miners Strike so they could bus it up north be thugs in Yorkshire.

Some of them do..

Garda_EMU.png

This isn't Craggy Island. You're not immune to the what happens in the world. Thats why you have a lesser known special forces unit in the Self Defence force and a Special Operations Unit of the Garda.

Latest posts