• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Italian leagues, cup, nazionale thread

D

Deano

The U21 Italian team won 30-0 against Rovigo club

Berbizier was watching, hopefully he saw the impressive Sepe who scored 2 tries... 20 year old winger.

Italia U21: Rubini; Bacchetti, Sepe, Pavan, Giampietri; Ceccato E., Tebaldi; Duca D., Talotti, Derbyshire; Beccaris, Flammini; De Marchi, Giovanchelli, Sciamanna
altri giocatori utilizzati: De Bonis, Turroni, Sola, Barbieri, Scarnecchia, Valcastelli
Marcatori: 2 mete Bacchetti, Sepe; 1 meta Rubini, Derbyshire

CLASSIFICA alla 10ª giornata di campionato

BENETTON TREVISO 36

RUGBY CALVISANO 36

CARRERA PETRARCA PD 35

ARIX VIADANA 33

OVERMACH PARMA 25

SKG GRAN PARMA 24

ALMAVIVA CAPITOLINA 15

INFINITO L'AQUILA 13

RUGBY ROVIGO 13

AMATORI CATANIA 7

How is rugby catching on in Italia? In which parts of the country is it most predominant?

How is rugby catching on in Italia? In which parts of the country is it most predominant?
[/b]

Do not live in Italy myself, Im a Londoner, with an Italian father. Which is why I decided to join a Rugby forum, to learn a bit more about the views of rugby in Italy and the views on Italy as a rugby nation in general.

Treviso who are top of the league in Italy... its a very sporting town, they also have one of the best basketball teams in Italy, surprising for quite a small city.

Rugby seems like it is growing, but it is still a long way away from being a main sport in Italy... however the Flaminio is always full when the rugby team play which is something quite good and it is becoming more popular.

I would say it is a bit more popular in the north... as you can see the main teams such as Viadana and the 2 Parma clubs are of course all situated around Parma... Calvisano is near Milan. Treviso is Northern Italy. Probably quite popular in some smaller cities like L'Aquila, Parma etc.

Nice Kit at Calvisano...
maglia1u.jpg

What team do you support?

In Italy I support Almaviva Capitolina because they are based in Rome ... In other nations I support Stade Francais because they have 3 Italians :)

In Italy I support Almaviva Capitolina because they are based in Rome ... In other nations I support Stade Francais because they have 3 Italians :)
[/b]
Good Call on Supporting Stade Francais!

Parma beat Borders for the only win of the heineken cup for an Italian side :)
[/b]

Didn't Calvisano defeat Bourgoin at Bourgoin last season?

With so many of the Top Italian rugbymen playing abroad this must not be difficult for the Italian clubs to be at the level of the H-cup.

By the way do you know what is the position of the Italian clubs in the ongoing crisis at the ERC?

<div class='quotemain'>
Parma beat Borders for the only win of the heineken cup for an Italian side :)
[/b]

Didn't Calvisano defeat Bourgoin at Bourgoin last season?[/b][/quote]no, it was Treviso 2 seasons ago, they beat Bougoin home and abroad, and beat Bath too, but Treviso at that time had players like Canale and Parisse...

By the way do you know what is the position of the Italian clubs in the ongoing crisis at the ERC? [/b]
no position at all, just standing at the window and seeing what's happening

at the moment in Italy there's a huge clash: the Federation would like to set up 3-4 fanchises but the Super10 League doesn't, big clubs want to go by thier own with no franchises and just a few professional sides, two major tems (Treviso and Calvisano) already letf the Super10 league, little clubs don't want franchises and don't want big clubs to leave the League... a mess...

U21 squad for Scotland

Questi i convocati: BACCHETTI Andrea (Femi CZ Rugby Rovigo), BARBIERI Andrea (Consiag I Cavalieri R.Prato), BECCARIS Luca (Cammi Calvisano), BORSI Alessandro (Cammi Calvisano), BUSO Paolo (Cammi Calvisano), CECCATO I Enrico (Marchiol Sanmarco), CRISTIANO Filippo (Cammi Calvisano), DE MARCHI Alberto (Overmach Parma), DERBYSHIRE Paul (Rolly Gran Parma), DUCA Davide (Consiag I Cavalieri R.Prato), DUCA Natale (Arix Viadana), GATTO Nicola (Carrera Petrarca Padova), GIAZZON Davide (Marchiol Sanmarco), GIOVANCHELLI Lorenzo (Carrera Petrarca Padova), MINTO Francesco (Overmach Cariparma), PAVAN Riccardo (Overmach Cariparma), RUBINI Giulio (Overmach Cariparma), SCIAMANNA Plinio (Arix Viadana), SEMENZATO Fabio (Benetton Treviso), SEPE Michele (AlmavivA Capitolina), SGARBI Alberto (Benetton Treviso), TEBALDI ***o (Rolly Gran Parma), TVERAGA Mantvydas (Stade Francais), WILSON Michael (Saracens)

Danit you could probably have more idea on who the more promising players are from this bunch so please enlighten me :)

U21 squad for Scotland

Questi i convocati: BACCHETTI Andrea (Femi CZ Rugby Rovigo), BARBIERI Andrea (Consiag I Cavalieri R.Prato), BECCARIS Luca (Cammi Calvisano), BORSI Alessandro (Cammi Calvisano), BUSO Paolo (Cammi Calvisano), CECCATO I Enrico (Marchiol Sanmarco), CRISTIANO Filippo (Cammi Calvisano), DE MARCHI Alberto (Overmach Parma), DERBYSHIRE Paul (Rolly Gran Parma), DUCA Davide (Consiag I Cavalieri R.Prato), DUCA Natale (Arix Viadana), GATTO Nicola (Carrera Petrarca Padova), GIAZZON Davide (Marchiol Sanmarco), GIOVANCHELLI Lorenzo (Carrera Petrarca Padova), MINTO Francesco (Overmach Cariparma), PAVAN Riccardo (Overmach Cariparma), RUBINI Giulio (Overmach Cariparma), SCIAMANNA Plinio (Arix Viadana), SEMENZATO Fabio (Benetton Treviso), SEPE Michele (AlmavivA Capitolina), SGARBI Alberto (Benetton Treviso), TEBALDI ***o (Rolly Gran Parma), TVERAGA Mantvydas (Stade Francais), WILSON Michael (Saracens)

Danit you could probably have more idea on who the more promising players are from this bunch so please enlighten me :)
[/b]
forwards: sure prospects are Tveraga (lithuanian origins) - a strong lock playing quite well for Stade Francais espoirs, Giovanchelli - a good hooker playing regulary in italian Super10 at Padova, and the capt. Derbyshire - a flanker with leadership attitude playing at Parma

backs: to be mentioned are the wingers Sepe (he has some caps with the senior national team too) and Bacchetti, a player who was picked by Biarritz but who preferred to go back home some months ago despite the good preseason he had with the senior team and the very good season he was having with the espoirs team

but probably the most promising players above all are the very youngs Wilson - a scrumhalf playing for Saracens, and Magri (actually injured) - a flyhalf (or fullback) playing for Stade Francais, both still 18-19 years old and already showing great attitudes

Thanks, good stuff... I will look out for Wilson and Magri... could be our future partnership at scrum half and fly half. I also have grea hope for Sepe who Ive seen a bit. We still have a decent future to go with some youngish players from the senior team.. Pratichetti(22), Mirco Bergamasco (23/24), Parisse (23/24), Canale (24), Masi (25), Castrogiovanni (25), Bernabo (22)

was talking to daniel bowdan yesterday who is now based in italy. he was at northland

U21 squad for Scotland

[/b]
these guys won 10-27 at Falkirk last night

I couldn't see the game (no tv coverage was scheduled) but I read some reports

the game started well for scottish, who scored a try in the first minutes and were leading 10-3 at min. 17

halftime score was 10-9

second half was totally italian, with a huge performance by the pack (prop Sciamanna motm), a penalty try under the scrum pressure, a second try by the hooker Giazzon, a good performance from the kicker D. Duca (5 pens, 1 conv) and an outstanding defence by everybody that didn't allow the scots to play any offense in 2nd half

congrats to guys!

A great week for Italain rugby beginning with that huge performance of the U21... followed by the even bigger performance from the senior team winning at Murrayfield... Italy has truly announced itself on International rugby.

Falkirk, venerdì 23 febbraio 2007
6 Nazioni Under 21, III giornata
SCOZIA U21 â€" ITALIA U21 10-27 (10-9)
SCOZIA: Goudie; McCall, Grove, Hogg G., Anderson; Ferguson (cap), Bringhurst (15’ st. Hunter); Lipp, McGilchrist, Vernon; McKenzie, Lambert (31’ st. McHurdell); Traynor, MacArthur, Dymock
ITALIA: Rubini; Sepe M., Sgarbi, Duca D. (37’ st. Ceccato E. I), Bacchetti; Buso, Wilson; Derbyshire (cap), Cristiano, Barbieri A. (39’ st. Minto); Duca N., Beccaris (33’ st. Saccardo); De Marchi (35’ st. Borsi), Giazzon, Sciamanna
MARCATORI: p.t. 9’ m. Vernon tr. Ferguson (7-0); 13’ cp. Duca D. (7-3); 17’ drop Grove (10-3); 24’ cp. Duca D. (10-6); 30’ cp. Duca D. (10-9); s.t. 4’ cp. Duca D. (10-12); 12’ m. tecnica Italia tr. Duca D. (10-19); 23’ m. Giazzon (10-24); 28’ cp. Duca D. (10-27)
ARBITRO: Richards (Inghilterra)

SENIORS:

Edinburgo, sabato 24 febbraio 2007
RBS 6 Nazioni, III giornata
SCOZIA â€" ITALIA 17-37 (10-24)
SCOZIA: Southwell; Lamont, Di Rollo, Dewey (35’ st. Henderson), Paterson (cap); Godman (18’ st. Walker), Cusiter (26’ st. Lawson); Callam (10’ st. Hogg), Brown, Taylor; Murray S. (33’ st. Hamilton), Hines; Murray E. (38’ pt.-40’ pt. Jacobsen), Hall (18’ st. Ford), Kerr (10’ st. Jacobsen)
ITALIA: De Marigny; Robertson, Canale G., Bergamasco Mi., Masi (33’ pt. Zaffiri); Scanavacca (39’ st. Pez), Troncon; Parisse S., Bergamasco Ma., Zanni; Bortolami (cap), Dellapè (23’ st. Bernabò V.); Castrogiovanni Mar. (17’ pt. Nieto), Festuccia (18’ st. Ongaro), Lo Cicero (18’ st. Perugini)
ARBITRO: Courtney (Irlanda)
MARCATORI: p.t. 1’ m. Bergamasco Ma. tr. Scanavacca (0-7); 4’ m. Scanavacca tr. Scanavacca (0-14); 6’ m. Robertson tr. Scanavacca (0-21); 13’ m. Dewey tr. Paterson (7-21); 19’ cp. Scanavacca (7-24); 39’ cp. Paterson (10-24); s.t. 20’ m. Paterson tr. Paterson (17-24); 26’ cp. Scanavacca (17-27); 31’ cp. Scanavacca (17-30); 35’ m. Troncon tr. Scanavacca (17-37)
NOTE: Alessandro Troncon Man of the Match, campo pesante, 6000 italiani presenti, cartellino giallo per Simon Taylor al 19’ p.t., Gonzalo Canale al 39’ st.

Fantastic Weekend for rugby for the Italians

Well done guys, may your success grow and grow

just to complete the infos, Italy U19 won at Melrose on sunday:

Melrose, 25 feb 2007
International Test Match
SCOZIA U19 â€" ITALIA U19 13-19 (10-9)
SCOTLAND: Duthie; Bury, Kinloch, McColl, Smart; Murray, Samson; Wukovits, Bryce (cap), Burton; Patrick, Brown; Stafford, McAnally, Strain
ITALIA: Magri (4’ st. Fiorani); Pratichetti A., Quartaroli, Chiesa, Rotella; Bocchino, Martinelli; Mernone, Petillo (15’ st. Maestri, 34’ st. D’Apice), Favaro; Giusti, Cazzola; Ravalle (32’ st. Violi), Morelli, De Marchi
Ref: Gauzere (France)
Scorers: 7’ pen. Bocchino (0-3); 12’ pen. Bocchino (0-6); 26’ t. McColl con. McColl (10-6); 34’ pen. Bocchino (10-9); 42’ pen. McColl (13-9); 49’ t. Mernone con. Bocchino (13-16); 61’ pen. Bocchino

btw. Scotland won the A teams test match (Perth, 13-7) and the women game (Edinburgh, 26-6)

Nice Kit at Calvisano...
maglia1u.jpg

[/b]

Wait, wait!
NICE kit?
You have got to be jokng.
I despise the Ospreys jersey because it has too many sponsors on it...but that top really is a walking billboard.

<div class='quotemain'>
Nice Kit at Calvisano...
maglia1u.jpg

[/b]

Wait, wait!
NICE kit?
You have got to be jokng.
I despise the Ospreys jersey because it has too many sponsors on it...but that top really is a walking billboard.
[/b][/quote]

Corporate teams are the best way to go IMO.

The Japanese TOPLEAGUE teams have little or no advertising because they are paid for by their owning Corporations like IBM Big Blue and Toyota Verblitz.

Also as they are Japanese, they can afford to have reeaaaally silly names like "WORLD FIGHTINGBULL", "SANYO WILD KNIGHTS" and "NORTHAMPTON" :lol:

Latest posts