• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The kicking may not be that bad?

L

lionmaul

I was watching the blues and chief video and I noticed that the up and down field view is very compressed. I think this is why people have said that the ball travels further on side view, it just gives the impression that it does, it is the same game engine so it would not make sense if it traveled further on side view then classic view. The ball actually travels further then it looks, the field is very compressed on classic view, has any one else noticed this?? And it looks like the kick release is fairly quick so that you can place your kicks quicker. At worst case we can maybe just increase everyones kicking strength to add a little distance to kicks, keep in mind that if you are trying up and unders and clearing punts with a prop it may only travel 5 meters
<
Cheers and Salu

Originally posted by lionmaul@Feb 16 2005, 02:08 AM
I was watching the blues and chief video and I noticed that the up and down field view is very compressed. I think this is why people have said that the ball travels further on side view, it just gives the impression that it does, it is the same game engine so it would not make sense if it traveled further on side view then classic view. The ball actually travels further then it looks, the field is very compressed on classic view, has any one else noticed this?? And it looks like the kick release is fairly quick so that you can place your kicks quicker. At worst case we can maybe just increase everyones kicking strength to add a little distance to kicks, keep in mind that if you are trying up and unders and clearing punts with a prop it may only travel 5 meters
<
Cheers and Salu
Yes i noticed that to - I thought the kicks weren't too bad in the video. Also I think Locksey said the game seems faster on side view. well if you watch someone running from behind then watch the same person running side on, he will seem faster. The 'illusion' of speed depends on perspective

I agree with both of you 100%, I watched that whole match, and all along I was thinking to myself (the kicking isn't near as abysmal as Locksley stated).

It may have a bit more to do with the camera angle than anything else.

Yup I agree with you guys side on looks like it is much easier to make breaks plus you can see the difference in speed alot more. The field does look very compressed on the clip, another thing when you are looking from the side you see so much more of the animation in the tackles and the action in the rucks I think the rucks would be alot more hit and miss in the view on the clip. I feel that when you have played the game long enough kicking will be second nature in side view juist like JLR was.

Think of games watched on T.V you never watch it from classic view as you would miss so much. But then again it is a matter of taste but I have always prefered side views even when playing football games.

Originally posted by TheBokke@Feb 16 2005, 04:21 AM
Yup I agree with you guys side on looks like it is much easier to make breaks plus you can see the difference in speed alot more. The field does look very compressed on the clip, another thing when you are looking from the side you see so much more of the animation in the tackles and the action in the rucks I think the rucks would be alot more hit and miss in the view on the clip. I feel that when you have played the game long enough kicking will be second nature in side view juist like JLR was.

Think of games watched on T.V you never watch it from classic view as you would miss so much. But then again it is a matter of taste but I have always prefered side views even when playing football games.
I can't decide if classic 2 looks compressed or its just a perspective thing again. I think the scale looks correct which makes me think this view isn't actually compressed.

Yeah, the kicking is not looking too bad, though there is a gross roller that defies everything at the 3:15 min (16:50 game-time) mark.

I mean, WTF?!

Have to agree - the kicking isn't that horrible.........though it doesn't appear to go far in "classic" view, the actual mtrs gained is consistant with the real game - especially when some of the Chiefs kicking was done with players not noted for their boot. The Blues had much better gains as Spencer did the bulk of their kicking.

The idea is to get the ball to bounce in order to get better distance, something the chiefs player wasn't able to do, unlike the Blues.

Also on that video I don't think I've ever seen Spencer kick that much, or so well, in real life, and what about that "mindless" kick he makes prior to the penalty being awarded to his side???

I'd like to think that the computer AI knew that advantage had been awarded for offside, so with nothing on Spencer kicked away the ball in order to receive the penalty right in front (which ended up hitting the post)............or is this hoping too much
<

Originally posted by NZL fan@Feb 16 2005, 07:37 AM
I'd like to think that the computer AI knew that advantage had been awarded for offside, so with nothing on Spencer kicked away the ball in order to receive the penalty right in front (which ended up hitting the post)............or is this hoping too much
<
I've thought about that too and I do think that that was the AI decision, which is cool I guess, cause it plays towards some kind of gameplan.

The only thing I didn't like so much is when Rockokokokokoko (I still don't know how to spell his damn name -- pathetic) makes a break at the 1:36min and beats his winger and could forseeable beat the pursuing defense with only the fullback remaining BUT, he veers back in so his support came clear the ruck easier -- that's not too believable and would never be in the Blues gameplan.

.....in the video of the Blues/Chiefs the Blues actually win the game due to Spencers boot....

He gets the Blues in good field position in the first half of the game (resulting in two kickable penalties), then in the second plays the percentages in order to protect the lead, and make the Chiefs play catch up footy - the AI therefore seems spot on, and the gameplay suggests you need to mix it up to be successful.

In comparison the Chiefs attempt to run it from all sorts of positions, and hardly (if ever) get Hill back to make a decent clearing kick........

Can't help but get excited about the game looking at that video.

AI looks pretty good in attack and defense, loads of tackle animations (love the ankle tap), the penalties we saw for killing the ball, offside and forward pass, some of the more bollocking forward runs, the player going through the ruck area and coming out the other side into open space.........I could go on.

The intercept was a curious incident however - it appears the Chiefs player grabs the ball at the same moment as the Blues player, with the Blues player the stronger of the two (maybe more momentum??), thus retaining possession.

Hm, as far as views go, I like the above classic view in Madden, but in the case of rugby - I think the views have been pretty effective on the side (defult) for JLR and WCR. So I might go for the side in this one.

It adds to a TV style presentation as well. I've always been a fan of that.

Cheers,
Jamie Gough

Hello all.

I'm new on this forum - well a new member (I've been browsing for ages) - and just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the camera angles in this game.

The way people say the camera angle in the Chiefs v Blues game is compressed is right to a point. What it actually is is that the camera is placed a long, long way away from the action, but then zoomed in very very far.

This means that there is not a great demonstration of perspective in that view.

I'm not sure whether that is on interest to anybody, but that is what is happening with that view.

Anyway, look out for some more posts by me soon!

Tom

Welcome to the forum..........

Youre right in what you say, it will definitely be the camera angle I'll be using.

Yeah, I don't think the kicking is that bad.

The classic 2 view isn't too bad, what I don't like about it is the fact that the players standing 50m away appear as the same size as the ones which are right in front of you.

Side view is the only view - like Jonah's kicking will come with time...

I'm southern hemisphere - Carlso styles - and so will be running it all the time and admittedly with occasionally and spectacularly disasterous results!! lol!

The point is that you take control of the team as it would be watched on tv...same for Jonah's....Hell PES4 gets played sideways and there is nothing but kicking going on....I don't hear any complaints about this!!

Only old as games like ET's League were played up and down!! Crazy stuff doing it now. lol. Maddens...sure...but this has specefically to do with targets operating at large distances downfield.

If people are going to tell me that I need to get with the times re: analogue...

then I say the same and then some to those who are playing up and down......that whole passing reversing thing is just a hint to move on!!!LOL!

With the camera being compressed..it reminded me something.

Remember how you could play WCR on 2 TV ratios? Can't remember what they were 16:9 or was it 4:3? Then you noticed that the actual players were compressed. Then you realised that it was actually playing in WIDESCREEN format!!!

Does R2005 play in widescreen? Imagine!

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 16 2005, 09:00 AM
Rockokokokokoko (I still don't know how to spell his damn name -- pathetic)
'c' is pronounced 'th'.
Like Rupeni Caucaunibuca = Thouthounibutha.
Rokocoko = Rokothoko.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 16 2005, 04:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Feb 16 2005, 04:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 16 2005, 09:00 AM
'c' is pronounced 'th'.
Rokocoko = Rokothoko. [/b]
Thank you for that great Language lesson.

Hehe, seriously though, for the longest I was saying it "Roko koko" never "Roko Thoko"

But I finally learned.
<

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 16 2005, 05:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Feb 16 2005, 05:35 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 16 2005, 04:14 PM

'c' is pronounced 'th'.
Rokocoko = Rokothoko.
Thank you for that great Language lesson.

Hehe, seriously though, for the longest I was saying it "Roko koko" never "Roko Thoko"

But I finally learned.
<
[/b]
Happy to help
<

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 16 2005, 04:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Feb 16 2005, 04:14 PM)</div>
'c' is pronounced 'th'.
Rokocoko = Rokothoko. [/b]
Cheers Kaf,

Oddly enough, I knew how to pronounce it, just never knew where the c went or how many of them there were.

Thank you, good sir.

Sorry have corrected slightly...too many beers at the Shin's concert!

Yep, seems simple enough, but then I'm akiwi and they're both in my provincial team - !! - Strike ...were....damn Caucaunibuca's departure. He's too listless at times for being in the ABs, but he would always have kicked booty for the Blues...damn he was/is AWESOME!

Anyway....I digressed...I wanted to say -

Is grubber any good?

Interms of:

- quickness of geting it off
- randomness of bounce
- ability to beat defence to it
- ability of D to reach it (just as important...ruin of WRC anyone?)

As an aside - Can Spencer give the Cantabrian red-neck crowd the bird for insulting his now-wife like he did last year!?
Seriously, they always rile him and he always humiliates them. They probably honestly believe that he's a bad guy or something - the irony.

However their wives probably don't agree. Hehe

Latest posts