The Leinster thread

Discussion in 'Guinness Pro14' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, Sep 24, 2009.

1. There seem to be a few Leinster fans on the board so I think it's time to set up a thread surrounding the Leinster squad, player interviews, scathing and complimentary match reports, opinion pieces (even Franno's!) and underage news. I doubt too many people would be interested in reading a thread dedicated to an interview with, say, a squad member like Devin Toner so this might be a useful way of archiving all that stuff.

Without further ado, an interview with Devin Toner from today's Indo!:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    and some underage representative news from the last day or two:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Has Noel Reid bulked up, cause he looked way too scrawny at schoolboy level when I saw him last.

4. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 24 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I'm not too sure. Apparently he's in the Leinster sub academy (I've no link to back this up mind). If that's the case, I assume he's on some sort of weights program. I remember him as a schools player; he flitted between wing in 4th year, fullback in 5th year and flyhalf in 6th year. He looked a talented player, albeit very sleight, at that stage. What I was impressed with was his willingness to attack the line and also his goalkicking. For Leinster U20s he's played at 12 and has been at 10 last time out and for the upcoming game.

Of those underage teams, I don't know much about the youths but have heard in dispatches that Tadhg Furlong is quite talented. The u18s have a fair few good players. The centre Macauley was part of a superb Clongowes junior side and has been touted as one to watch for quite a while. Sam Coghlan Murray started for the Ireland u18 team last season and is a stunning finisher.

5. monkeypigeon

monkeypigeon Guest

Hey guys! guess what!!! James Jones is reffing your Brive match! Happy birthday!!! Poor sods

And Romain Poite for the London Irish match. Dunno much about him.

6. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 24 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I try not to blame referees whenever a team I support loses because more often than not it smacks of sour grapes. Is it okay if I criticise Jones in advance though? He and Peter Fitzgibbon are f'n awful.

7. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

maybe I'm clutching at straws here but I think Jones has improved. I've seen Poite do a few Challenge Cup games and he doesn't seem to have done too badly. Still though you'd hope as defending champions to get a better class of ref!

8. More silverware.....

That's a very good Connacht team they beat. Tiernan O'Halloran, Eoin Griffin and Aaron Spring have bags of talent.

9. From the Leinster Website:

14 schools represented among the 22. Breakdown is:

Castleknock 3
    Blackrock 1 + 3 subs
    Clongowes 1
    Monkstown 1
    Newbridge 1
    St Michael's 2
    KH 2
    Mary's 1
    Gerard's 1
    Belvedere 1
    Terenure 1
    Andrew's 0 + 1 sub
    Roscrea 0 + 2 subs
    Kilkenny 0 + 1 sub

That's an unusually large representation from KH and Castleknock and an unusually small number from Blackrock.

Another result:

10. stevemagoo

stevemagoo Guest

Leinster schools rugby is beginning to level out in terms of stand-out performance teams. Yes, Blackrock, Belvo, Clongowes are still up there, but the much smaller teams like Gonzaga, KH, Andrews are producing more top level players as the years go on. The Leinster Senior Squad had 2 Gonzaga players involved against ...Keving McLaughlin who was playing blindside and Dominic Ryan who was splinter picking...That equals what was there in the previous 5 years!

11. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevemagoo @ Sep 29 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I think it's always been the case that lesser schools (in terms of winning cups) have produced some big time players. For example, Nick Popplewell and Eric Miller went to Wesley. From yesteryear, John Robbie was a standout from High School. Mal O'Kelly went to Templeogue. Reggie Corrigan is a past pupil of Pres Bray. I do agree though that pupils of smaller schools getting representative honours is becoming more frequent.

The Leinster U19's schools team to play the Nordies has been named:
    Mary's - 2
    Blackrock - 4
    Michael's - 2
    Belvedere - 2 + 1 sub
    Terenure - 2
    Newbridge - 1 + 1 sub
    Clongowes - 1 + 1 sub
    Gonzaga - 1
    Monkstown - 0 + 2 subs
    Gerard's - 0 + 2 subs

Again, that's a pretty wide spread of players from different schools. 10 schools in total are represented. Conor Gilsenan who's on the bench was marked out as a huge talent a couple of years ago. He's a goal kicking 2nd row/backrow. The centre Kelly and prop Tracy are two very good players.

12. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

I read an article by Thornley where he had interviews with various people within the Leinster setup, and they were telling him that they've been spreading their scouting net much further throughout the province so as to not let the jems slip through the net, O'Brien from Tullow being one that springs to mind.

13. I think this is the article you speak of:
    It's a very good read if you're a rugby geek like me! Thornley did a similar piece on the Munster academy. It was interesting to note the difference between the two provinces approaches. Leinster aim to get all the best players in regardless of position whereas Munster target problem areas and recruit depending on their needs. I'd like to see a similar study done on Ulster's approach.

14. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Munster's make depressing reading tbh. They seem to think they have a master plan, "quality over quantity" looks like a dig at Leinster, who are miles ahead when it comes to both.
    Inexcusable IMO, you have the f***ing resources, use them!

15. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 29 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    It's a very good read if you're a rugby geek like me! Thornley did a similar piece on the Munster academy. It was interesting to note the difference between the two provinces approaches. Leinster aim to get all the best players in regardless of position whereas Munster target problem areas and recruit depending on their needs. I'd like to see a similar study done on Ulster's approach.
    [/b][/quote]
    Exactly Munster go for Quality over Quantity which isn't great as there is room for more in academy but also as you don't know if a guy who is average coming in might respond brilliantly to better coaching and develope into a world-class player like Leinster in fairness have a development-model to be proud of.

16. I could be wrong but my hunch tells me Munster have gone for a quick fix of Doug Howlett and Jean De Villiers over increasing the strength of their academy in the short term. Howlett and De Villiers will help fill Thomond Park and the revenue that brings will increase the depth in the academy.

I have to say, I like Leinster's approach. Picking the best players regardless of position can only boost the depth in the squad. More competition for places drives players to perform better or else they'll be shipped out the door.

More underage success:

Jaspar Pickersgill is the greatest name I've ever heard!

Those are three massive victories.

17. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

Oh, and a great thred Snoopy. Appreciate all the updates. Keep them coming if and when you can.

18. It's no problem at all, I intend to keep it coming.

Leinster have no match reports for these games on their website but I've managed to pull a couple of reports from the Ulster official website:
    [/b]

19. shtove

shtove Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 28 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What are they putting in the water?

Castleknock is a biggish school - bigger than Clongowes - but Kings Hos is tiny AFAIK.

Someone said Leinster are casting the net wider. Is that good or bad?

20. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Oct 1 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What are they putting in the water?

Castleknock is a biggish school - bigger than Clongowes - but Kings Hos is tiny AFAIK.

Someone said Leinster are casting the net wider. Is that good or bad?
    [/b][/quote]

can only be a good thing, less chances of a gem slipping through the net.

21. Yeah, it's a very good thing that they're being more proactive in finding talent. Using Sean O'Brien as an example, 10 years ago he likely wouldn't have been discovered. The chances of that happening now are slim.

Speaking of O'Brien, there was an interview with him in yesterday's Times.
    ...and another very similar interview in today's Examiner

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!