• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"The Lions - How to stop Pierre Spies and Morné Steyn"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 4 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jesus were all get excited arent we.

Ferris has nowhere near the same pace as Spies or Croft, but he hits a **** lot harder. I'll take the hard hitter thank you, leave the namby pambying to the flowers out in the backs.

Croft on the other hand, for a second row / blind side is lightning fast. He left a S14 winger for dead last night.

I dont understand what the big deal about Spies is about really, he aint Lomu. He runs, he'll get tackled. Its not as if the Lions are going to tackle like a Super 14 team.[/b]

Ferris beat a winger over a longer distance....

Anyway, yeah! They're all awesome. I love the Geech interview where he says he told Croft when he was called up that he wouldn't be allowed to arse around on the wing like he does for Leicester and that's why he was nackered after 60 :p . Seriously though, Croft was class yesterday and I was complaining that he wasn't starting all through the 6N go back and check if you wish.

But he can't clear a ruck like Ferris and he doesn't have that much speed over him.

It's a win/win whoever we pick.

And can we stop talking about Croft beating the wing yesterday, Croft was going forward, the wing had to stop adn turn so over a short distance Ross Ford would have done the same.

Hahaha cant wait! We should probably just all calm down and wait for the tests to start. Spies is a super human and is stil young. In a few years he wil be the ultimate 8 NO DOUBT! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 4 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jesus were all get excited arent we.

Ferris has nowhere near the same pace as Spies or Croft, but he hits a **** lot harder. I'll take the hard hitter thank you, leave the namby pambying to the flowers out in the backs.

Croft on the other hand, for a second row / blind side is lightning fast. He left a S14 winger for dead last night.

I dont understand what the big deal about Spies is about really, he aint Lomu. He runs, he'll get tackled. Its not as if the Lions are going to tackle like a Super 14 team.[/b]

He is a fuss, because it's very rare to see an 8th man score the kind of tries that he does. He is one of the most talented players we have, and has been in amazing form. For the record, the winger that Croft beat last night has never played a Super14 game in his life. Also, he is exceptionally slow for a winger. Take nothing away from Croft though, he is really fast, and i think between him, Spies and Kankowski, nobody honestly knows who would win.

I was watching some tries that Croft has scored. Jeezaz he motors. He has massive strides! Don't think England have ever had a player like him before. But like i said, Kankowski and Spies whoop backs week in and week out. Look at that Will Greenwood video, and notice with that Matfield kick through at how fast Spies runs after the ball. He races a winger, and gains ground on him pretty easily. That is just insane.

Also, nobody said he was a Lomu, because he aint. He is just the complete package. Strength, Speed and skill. But ultimately, he needs a good forward pack to be of any real threat. He is not really a player that can create something out of nothing. That's where both Croft and Kankowski are better than him.

I can't find any videos of Croft but we'll just have to take Aaron Mauger's word for it, who claims that Croft is the quickest back row forward he has ever seen. It is true that only the winger Tom Varndell was faster than him at Leicester and Varndell can run a 10.8 100m on grass... in his socks.

Then there's his lineout ability...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jun 4 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't find any videos of Croft but we'll just have to take Aaron Mauger's word for it, who claims that Croft is the quickest back row forward he has ever seen. It is true that only the winger Tom Varndell was faster than him at Leicester and Varndell can run a 10.8 100m on grass... in his socks.

Then there's his lineout ability...[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5b-7HzunVo

Spies runs the 100m in 10.7seconds...

I know. My Great Uncle and his wife and kids who are South African never shut up about him.

The point about Varndell is that he's pretty much the same pace but in his socks! Plus, Varndell is a big lad, 6'4 and 106kg.

Also, someone was talking about Stephen Donald as a fast 10. Danny Cipriani has to be one of the fastest Fly Halves, he's quicker than Paul Sackey over 60m.

So while we're on the subject of pace, does anyone know what Matt Banahan's 100m time is?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jun 4 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know. My Great Uncle and his wife and kids who are South African never shut up about him.

The point about Varndell is that he's pretty much the same pace but in his socks! Plus, Varndell is a big lad, 6'4 and 106kg.[/b]

lol. I don't think Spies can really do that. Varndell is much faster than him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 4 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Who cares. Chabal can do the 100m in 8.8 seconds.

Underwater.[/b]

C_71_article_1015811_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

:lol:

When did Spies run 10.7? I'm guessing when he was a skinny teenager?

Speed over 100m stands for very little. Speed over <40m is the key...essentially it's a battle of acceleration.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 4 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

When did Spies run 10.7? I'm guessing when he was a skinny teenager?[/b]

He was always massive. When i played against him, i was 18, and he played wing for his school team. Kinda weird thinking i tackled him, and ran on the same field as him... Anyway, he was huge at that age, and still holds the 100m record for his school. He also scored 3 tries against us that day. Always knew he would play for the Springboks one day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 4 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 4 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When did Spies run 10.7? I'm guessing when he was a skinny teenager?[/b]

He was always massive. When i played against him, i was 18, and he played wing for his school team. Kinda weird thinking i tackled him, and ran on the same field as him... Anyway, he was huge at that age, and still holds the 100m record for his school. He also scored 3 tries against us that day. Always knew he would play for the Springboks one day.
[/b][/quote]

With talk like that you and Greenwood would make a good team :lol:

Latest posts