The Loe down on De Villiers

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Former All Black Richard Loe has pulled no punches when asked to give an assessment of current South Africa coach Peter de Villiers.

De Villiers has been in headline after headline in the past few days, citing conspiracy theories against his team by officials and earning an apology from Australian TV channel Fox Sports, whose pundit Brendan Cannon called him a 'clown'.

"As a coach, you don't want to coach your team to cheat, but maybe that is something we are going to have to consider." said De Villiers after his team's second heavy defeat in as many weeks against New Zealand.

Loe wasted no time in getting in his digs, remembering fondly the lack of grace shown in victory by De Villiers last year after they had beaten the All Blacks and imploring him to stay for ther sake of all the other teams in the tournament!

"I hope this character (De Villiers) stays in charge of the Boks until after the World Cup as I don't think he is doing them any good," said Loe to the New Zealand Herald.

"This is the same Peter de Villiers, who said after that 3-0 drubbing of the All Blacks last year, that New Zealand had missed the boat and had not changed with the times.

"Hey, Pete. See that boat disappearing over there? That's the good ship 'Changed Times' - and you've missed it, brother.

"The Springboks do not appear to have worked out that the game has changed again. The previous law interpretations suited their game. The new ones don't.

"If it is true, as a lot of the stories say, that the senior players are mostly steering the Bok ship, this shows the weakness of that situation.

"That's when you need a good coach who can step back and convincingly show the players where they are going wrong.

"The Bok efforts against the Wallabies last night and in August-September will tell us whether the Boks can change and/or whether the Wallabies are as capable of playing the new rules as the All Blacks clearly are.

"I am shovelling a lot of the blame on de Villiers because, to me, the Springboks are not really playing cohesively or as a united force. They don't look like the Bulls, the Sharks or the Stormers in style. They look like a misguided Bok team.

"The All Blacks have taken our best players from across the five Super 14 franchises and have aligned them with an All Black game plan and an All Black style. The Boks appear to have taken only some of the best players from the Super 14 and don't appear to have adopted the style to compete at present."

"It will be interesting seeing how/if they can adapt," Loe continues.

"As for all this bleating about referees, I think it's crap. Nothing's changed. For years now, players have been penalised for head butts, spear tackles and the like.

"The old days of sorting out a Bakkies Botha by a swift clip to the chin in a scrum have gone. It used to cost you a lecture and three points if their kicker was good enough. That's all gone now.

"Now it's a yellow card and the other guys stick 10 points on your side while you're off the field. It can't happen - but it is with them.

"It's the same with head butts, spear tackles and pulling a blatant professional foul when your line is threatened. For many years now, that stuff has inevitably earned a yellow card.

"The Boks are complaining that Richie McCaw gets better treatment and Rene Ranger should have been punished for a no-arms tackle. Rubbish.

"It's like what golfer Gary Player used to say: "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

"All the Bok complaints show me is that they are not playing well enough. If they were, they wouldn't be coming under the referees' microscopes and they wouldn't be getting twitchy about penalties and the way they are treated.

"No, for me, I hope they don't sack Peter de Villiers. It'd be good to have him there for the World Cup."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6279626,00.html

What pleases me most is I expect PdV to become Saracens coach when Venter steps down...

Loe gets this pretty much spot on:

"The old days of sorting out a Bakkies Botha by a swift clip to the chin in a scrum have gone. It used to cost you a lecture and three points if their kicker was good enough. That's all gone now.
"Now it's a yellow card and the other guys stick 10 points on your side while you're off the field. It can't happen - but it is with them."

PDV makes me laugh out loud everytime I see him. Anyone with an ounce of rugby nous can spot an imposter a mile away. But like Loe, I hope he stays on board for as long as possible - The Boks have some class players (a little old maybe, but still class) and they're being given a duff script to play to...

Kick it up and pulverise the catcher [only works if you chase as a line and do't kick it to class players]
Smash the ruck and clearout aggressively [great, but the ball's already gone, since you were too busy lining up cheapshots on the fringe to actually protect the carrier who got turned and stripped by Richie.. again...]
Use brute force, smash 'em up anyway you can. [Err.. the days of Homer Refs like Gert Bezuidenhout on the high veldt are gone - if you head butt, gouge or otherwise commit GBH now you'll at the least get yellowed, concede 10 points and at worst get cited and be out for a season].

Looking forward to the rest of the Bi-nations.

Fair comments.

As much as I hate his influence one has to admit that we had our best year for a while in 2009 under his 'command'. Eh, even if it takes him a while he has shown that he can learn from his mistakes and rather now than next year. If only he could shut his mouth. He shits orally and that makes senior players think they can do the same. It also effects their mind-set on the field. Take it on the chin and try harder, guys. Don't mope around complaining and do your jobs.

Here's hoping the guys can focus on what THEY need to do and that the administraters and ministers that warned Pdivvy to keep his trap shut or else follow up on their warnings.

I have to agree with most if not all of the points Richard Loe makes. PDV has to be having some kind of negative effect on the Springboks. It's a pity the players can't sort out on field problems the old fashioned way but I guess that's just the way it is these days. The Springboks will come right... In the meantime PDV needs to quit sulking and move forward for the benefit of the team.

Loe gets this pretty much spot on:

"Now it's a yellow card and the other guys stick 10 points on your side while you're off the field. It can't happen - but it is with them."

PDV makes me laugh out loud everytime I see him. Anyone with an ounce of rugby nous can spot an imposter a mile away. But like Loe, I hope he stays on board for as long as possible - The Boks have some class players (a little old maybe, but still class) and they're being given a duff script to play to...

Kick it up and pulverise the catcher [only works if you chase as a line and do't kick it to class players]
Smash the ruck and clearout aggressively [great, but the ball's already gone, since you were too busy lining up cheapshots on the fringe to actually protect the carrier who got turned and stripped by Richie.. again...]
Use brute force, smash 'em up anyway you can. [Err.. the days of Homer Refs like Gert Bezuidenhout on the high veldt are gone - if you head butt, gouge or otherwise commit GBH now you'll at the least get yellowed, concede 10 points and at worst get cited and be out for a season].

Looking forward to the rest of the Bi-nations.

You would expect him to, hes pretty much an expert in thuggery. Would definitely claim a place in the thugs Xv

I loved Loe. He was a thug without a doubt though, I used to imagine the song "Leroy Brown) when he came onto the field. It's worth a mention though, he was a thug when the game was rougher than today. Getting rucked the hell out of during a ruck, a cheap shot etc, were fairly common place in the late 80's early 90's, but no doubt he was the Lowest of the Loe (Pun intended).

"It's the same with head butts, spear tackles and pulling a blatant professional foul when your line is threatened. For many years now, that stuff has inevitably earned a yellow card."

OQ7carozza.jpg

Hah... I remember him!!!

Its Paul Caroza, just a few seconds after Guthrie "punished" him for having the temerity to score a try against the All Blacks. Served him right too!
41.gif
4.gif

SANZAR issues notice of misconduct against Boks coach.

<!--Credit-->
allblacks.com - (30/07/2010)
SANZAR has issued a notice of alleged misconduct against Springbok Coach Peter de Villiers following comments he made on Australia's Fox Sports 'Rugby Club' programme on 21 July 2010.

SANZAR wrote to SA Rugby on 22 July in relation to the comments. Having discussed the matter with Mr de Villiers on his return to South Africa after last weekend's Tri Nations match against Australia, SA Rugby has now provided a response.

SANZAR Chief Executive Steve Tew said: "Having considered the response from South Africa we have determined that Peter de Villiers' comments may constitute a breach of the SANZAR Code of Conduct and warrant further consideration by a SANZAR Judicial Officer."

A SANZAR appointed Judicial Officer will conduct a hearing in the next week with details to be advised.

This is very similar to what the RFU did to Saracens coach Brendan Venter earlier this year.

It got him banned from the Stadium for Saracens matches.

"Now it's a yellow card and the other guys stick 10 points on your side while you're off the field."
Best quote from a professional on this topic. It's not amateur "old boy" rugby. It's televised, professional, polished rugby.

He is the coach, you don't like it well go sit on a ******* soap box and preach until you've had enough or someone listens to you. Until then, stop your *****ing and grow some testicles. Players aren't playing, simple.

He is the coach, you don't like it well go sit on a ******* soap box and preach until you've had enough or someone listens to you. Until then, stop your *****ing and grow some testicles. Players aren't playing, simple.

You seem obsessed with testicle growth. Just sayin'.

De Villiers has big balls hey, he goes to the bushveld to eye gouge lions.

Latest posts