• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The more I play it.....the more I hate it.......

Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 29 2005, 11:53 PM
I agree if EA issue a **** game then they are putting themselves in great danger. But rugby 2005 is clearly not a **** game.

Whether it is a sales and marketing strategy of course we will never know, but I can see the sense in leaving gaps so that they can be filled, gradually, in later additions.

I actually DONT think improved graphics and new team rosters is enough to persuade people to buy the same game each year. Just look at the fifa series. Every year ea introduce new gameplay features whether its 'off the ball' or 'first touch' People are looking for significant improvements in game play. All we are saying is that by leaving a few strategically placed gaps, these improvements seem all the more significant. As long as it is managed carefully, this is a viable approach.
I didn't really mean that EA could regurgitate exactly the same game with only update lineups
<
Obviously, engine improvements have to be made along the way.

The realism of the game will never been complete enough that people will not buy the next in the series or at least a game further down in the series.

I do agree with what you are saying about leaving gaps but I can't honestly see that gaps are left intentionally when there is so much stuff to do
<

Originally posted by Inertia+Mar 30 2005, 03:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Inertia @ Mar 30 2005, 03:01 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
@Mar 29 2005, 11:53 PM

I agree if EA issue a **** game then they are putting themselves in great danger. But rugby 2005 is clearly not a **** game.

Whether it is a sales and marketing strategy of course we will never know, but I can see the sense in leaving gaps so that they can be filled, gradually, in later additions.

I actually DONT think improved graphics and new team rosters is enough to persuade people to buy the same game each year. Just look at the fifa series. Every year ea introduce new gameplay features whether its 'off the ball' or 'first touch' People are looking for significant improvements in game play. All we are saying is that by leaving a few strategically placed gaps, these improvements seem all the more significant. As long as it is managed carefully, this is a viable approach.
I didn't really mean that EA could regurgitate exactly the same game with only update lineups
<
Obviously, engine improvements have to be made along the way.

The realism of the game will never been complete enough that people will not buy the next in the series or at least a game further down in the series.

I do agree with what you are saying about leaving gaps but I can't honestly see that gaps are left intentionally when there is so much stuff to do
<
[/b]
well who knows what Ea's strategies are! All I can say is i'm loving this game. i think one of the reasons is I'm not overplaying it. I mean, if you play PES4 non stop for weeks you're going to find flaws in the game and eventually it will get pretty dull.

I don't have much time to play rugby 2005 so when I do, its great fun, and I havn't become so good that its no longer a challenge. Anything gets boring if you do too much of it!

speaking of Pes4, i was corralled into a friendly tournament last night after havinf played rugby 2005 for the past one or so. Rugby is a good game, but Pes4 is just so fast and fluid....and fun. Rugby 2005 can be hard work at times, some bits frustrate you but others are enjoyable. Pes4 is enjoyable all the way..

team to win rucks against england if your nz

1.D.Hewwet
2.A.Oliver
3.G.Sommerville
4.C.Jack
5.N.Maxwell
6.R.Thorne
7.M.Holah
8.R.McCaw

but if you dont like england winning so many rucks change there squad have you seen the ratings on there fowards every player atleast has a 90 in rucking n back has like a 97 so just go to my rugby and change there squad to the current team lol.

Jimmy44: Does the AI really score tries against you on hard? I've played a world cup with Aus and not let in 1 try and just finished the S12 managing to conced 4 tries in the whole tournament (and they were due to scrum turn overs on my 5 metre line)... I actually find the AI's attack to be VERY simple to couter, even on hard.

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 29 2005, 04:49 PM
speaking of Pes4, i was corralled into a friendly tournament last night after havinf played rugby 2005 for the past one or so. Rugby is a good game, but Pes4 is just so fast and fluid....and fun. Rugby 2005 can be hard work at times, some bits frustrate you but others are enjoyable. Pes4 is enjoyable all the way..
Yeah - I played Rugby 2005 for a week or so. Tried PES4 for a change, originally planned to be 10 minutes, ended up lasting 2 hours. Much better game, and I'll be sticking to that for the near future I think.

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 30 2005, 10:47 AM
Jimmy44: Does the AI really score tries against you on hard? I've played a world cup with Aus and not let in 1 try and just finished the S12 managing to conced 4 tries in the whole tournament (and they were due to scrum turn overs on my 5 metre line)... I actually find the AI's attack to be VERY simple to couter, even on hard.
Yes they do, in nearly every game - maybe its because I am not very good because I havn't been playing the game solidly since I bought it!

If you are finding the AI attack poor why don't you decrease the tackle stats of your players and improve the AI by adding more tackle breakers and strong runners. That might even it out a bit? Of course you need Lazy Chesnuts editor and the PC version to do this

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 30 2005, 07:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 30 2005, 07:45 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Mar 30 2005, 10:47 AM
Yes they do, in nearly every game - maybe its because I am not very good because I havn't been playing the game solidly since I bought it!

If you are finding the AI attack poor why don't you decrease the tackle stats of your players and improve the AI by adding more tackle breakers and strong runners. That might even it out a bit? Of course you need Lazy Chesnuts editor and the PC version to do this [/b]
Thats not a bad idea actually... mind you, the way I play it on hard I use smother tackles and pin the AI down in their own 22 for most of the match with alot of kicking and pressure...

Originally posted by sanzar+Mar 30 2005, 10:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Mar 30 2005, 10:23 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 30 2005, 07:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

If you are finding the AI attack poor why don't you decrease the tackle stats of your players and improve the AI by adding more tackle breakers and strong runners. That might even it out a bit? Of course you need Lazy Chesnuts editor and the PC version to do this
Thats not a bad idea actually... mind you, the way I play it on hard I use smother tackles and pin the AI down in their own 22 for most of the match with alot of kicking and pressure... [/b]
Yea but if your guys are not so good at tackling and the oppostion are strong and have tackle breaking special abilities, you may find it a lot tougher to contain the AI.

I also recommend increasing the acceleration and speed of one or two players on the AI sides you play against.

Think about what it is that is making the AI weak in attack and you so strong in defence, and change the stats accordingly. HB can't be expected to get the difficulty right for everyone, so I recon its time to tweak the game to suit your abilities. Its just a pity they didn't include a stats editor to make this posible!!

let me know how you get on!

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 30 2005, 11:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 30 2005, 11:59 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 30 2005, 10:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

Thats not a bad idea actually... mind you, the way I play it on hard I use smother tackles and pin the AI down in their own 22 for most of the match with alot of kicking and pressure...
Yea but if your guys are not so good at tackling and the oppostion are strong and have tackle breaking special abilities, you may find it a lot tougher to contain the AI.

I also recommend increasing the acceleration and speed of one or two players on the AI sides you play against.

Think about what it is that is making the AI weak in attack and you so strong in defence, and change the stats accordingly. HB can't be expected to get the difficulty right for everyone, so I recon its time to tweak the game to suit your abilities. Its just a pity they didn't include a stats editor to make this posible!!

let me know how you get on! [/b]
It sorta ****** me off that you have to do this sort of rubbish though... I can't wait for the day when they can make a rugby game have and AI that is simply a very clever attacker and defender that produces infinate variations and always remains unpredictable... thus eliminating the cheap old "make the AI faster and stronger" technique...

Originally posted by sanzar+Mar 31 2005, 12:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Mar 31 2005, 12:42 AM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 30 2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 30 2005, 10:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar

let me know how you get on!
It sorta ****** me off that you have to do this sort of rubbish though... I can't wait for the day when they can make a rugby game have and AI that is simply a very clever attacker and defender that produces infinate variations and always remains unpredictable... thus eliminating the cheap old "make the AI faster and stronger" technique... [/b]
I agree this would be great, but I think at present their are limits to how good the AI can be. Remember rugby 2005 is still very early in the rugby 'series' and the AI engine is still very new. It will improve each year.

In the mean time why not try changing the stats. You might enjoy it?

people are exagerating playing England on hard. i was ireland and won most of my rucks. and i have no problems with the kicking.
my major problem is the flatness of the out half and the woeful skip passes

Originally posted by richees@Mar 31 2005, 02:17 AM
people are exagerating playing England on hard. i was ireland and won most of my rucks. and i have no problems with the kicking.
my major problem is the flatness of the out half and the woeful skip passes
I think its all down to rucking stats - I think Ireland have good stats therefore they don't struggle.

whats wrong with the cut out pass? I use it all the time and think its great!

I agree about flat footedness.

How are you finding the AI and the difficulty? everone says hard is too easy and the AI never score tries. That doesn't happen to me.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 31 2005, 01:06 AM
I agree this would be great, but I think at present their are limits to how good the AI can be. Remember rugby 2005 is still very early in the rugby 'series' and the AI engine is still very new. It will improve each year.
what do you mean??

This game engine is the exact same one from rugby 2004 (albeit a tweaked version). That means they have been working on this beast for around 2 and a half years (18 months prior to rugby 2004, a year to rugby 2005).

Considering they were "gifted" the graphics from FIFA, the spare time they would have had to fix the AI doesn't seem to match up with the **** poor AI we have ended up with in the final release.......

In rugby 2005 the attacking AI simply just reflects what defensive play you choose.
I suggest thats why people are forever complaining about "the computer kicks all the time", because they never choose to do a "kick defense" defensive play to combat it.

Generally if you choose "kick defense" the computer runs a hell of a lot more, if you don't they kick a lot more........spread wide the computer is more inclined to make runs close to the ruck, defend close to the ruck/add too many players to the ruck and the computer will throw it wide..........all this is done in a mechanical fashion regardless whether it is the best decision or not.

....now how basic is that AI, hardly 2 and a half years worth of development thats for sure.....in fact it is so simple that most people here can not even see it for what it is........(forrest for the trees complex).

Originally posted by NZL fan+Mar 31 2005, 07:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Mar 31 2005, 07:45 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
@Mar 31 2005, 01:06 AM
what do you mean??

This game engine is the exact same one from rugby 2004 (albeit a tweaked version). That means they have been working on this beast for around 2 and a half years (18 months prior to rugby 2004, a year to rugby 2005).

Considering they were "gifted" the graphics from FIFA, the spare time they would have had to fix the AI doesn't seem to match up with the **** poor AI we have ended up with in the final release.......

In rugby 2005 the attacking AI simply just reflects what defensive play you choose.
I suggest thats why people are forever complaining about "the computer kicks all the time", because they never choose to do a "kick defense" defensive play to combat it.

Generally if you choose "kick defense" the computer runs a hell of a lot more, if you don't they kick a lot more........spread wide the computer is more inclined to make runs close to the ruck, defend close to the ruck/add too many players to the ruck and the computer will throw it wide..........all this is done in a mechanical fashion regardless whether it is the best decision or not.

....now how basic is that AI, hardly 2 and a half years worth of development thats for sure.....in fact it is so simple that most people here can not even see it for what it is........(forrest for the trees complex). [/b]
No.... 2005 uses a completely different engine to 2004. This year they have used the fifa engine, not previously used in the rugby series.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 31 2005, 10:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 31 2005, 10:06 AM)</div>
Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 31 2005, 07:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44

what do you mean??

....now how basic is that AI, hardly 2 and a half years worth of development thats for sure.....in fact it is so simple that most people here can not even see it for what it is........(forrest for the trees complex).
No.... 2005 uses a completely different engine to 2004. This year they have used the fifa engine, not previously used in the rugby series. [/b]
<
<
<

OMG

DOOR's THIS WAY --------------------------------->

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 31 2005, 10:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 31 2005, 10:06 AM)</div>
Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 31 2005, 07:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44

what do you mean??

No.... 2005 uses a completely different engine to 2004. This year they have used the fifa engine, not previously used in the rugby series. [/b]
If that is the case (I do now recall reading that it uses the FIFA AI, but you'd have to question whether they are telling a few porkys, as the engine looks hell of a similar to rugby 2004, or else "dumbed down" to a level that HB studios is happy to deal with).....

It makes things even worse as this is an engine therefore that has been tweaked for many,many years with the FIFA series of games.......

......or is the FIFA gameplay engine really that bad (after all it aint no PES).........

If HB had basically the whole thing (AI, graphics etc) gifted to them on a plate, you'd have to really question (graphics exempted) how well they have really done in the time avaliable..........

f***ing hell what a grump!!

Rambling on that much and not even knowing (and it is FACT) that is the Fifa engine........hell, where do you think the "try" celebration of the guy pushing away from his mates to celebrate by himslef came from!!??

The game is great - has a few probs, but the AI kicking etc all the time is just you amateurs not selecting the correct (if any) defensive play - the auto d is defensive standard - which they like kicking too...and who wouldn't...your wingers are up.

Play the game better, as in more user-intensive, and you will find complaints in it only because you are negative and grumpy - not because it is crap.

This game is v decent.

Hell, we,ve got cricket coming etc....It's all good. I love this game and have not yet played 1 multi-player game (against anyone).

Stop whinging pal.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 31 2005, 04:48 PM
f***ing hell what a grump!!

Rambling on that much and not even knowing (and it is FACT) that is the Fifa engine........hell, where do you think the "try" celebration of the guy pushing away from his mates to celebrate by himslef came from!!??

The game is great - has a few probs, but the AI kicking etc all the time is just you amateurs not selecting the correct (if any) defensive play - the auto d is defensive standard - which they like kicking too...and who wouldn't...your wingers are up.

Play the game better, as in more user-intensive, and you will find complaints in it only because you are negative and grumpy - not because it is crap.

This game is v decent.

Hell, we,ve got cricket coming etc....It's all good. I love this game and have not yet played 1 multi-player game (against anyone).

Stop whinging pal.
At the end of the day everybody has an opinion.

Just because it doesn't match your "cheerleading squad leader" thoughts, doesn't mean it shouldn't be aired.

The "try celebration" is part of the graphical part of the FIFA engine (which I have always said was used), however the GAMEPLAY engine has been adapted by HB studios to suit rugby, therefore major changes were made that makes it resemble a "tweaked rugby 2004" engine more then the FIFA one.

So before you start slagging me off I'd suggest you actually use what ever happens to be inside your head to think things through somewhat before you post.........

If you find this dribble exciting to play after numerous games then I'd suggest that Ea just release rugby 2006 with gameplay consisting of watching grass grow............I'm sure that you'd enjoy it........

Originally posted by NZL fan@Mar 31 2005, 05:34 PM
Just because it doesn't match your "cheerleading squad leader" thoughts, doesn't mean it shouldn't be aired.

So before you start slagging me off I'd suggest you actually use what ever happens to be inside your head to think things through somewhat before you post.........

If you find this dribble exciting to play after numerous games then I'd suggest that Ea just release rugby 2006 with gameplay consisting of watching grass grow............I'm sure that you'd enjoy it........
ahah
agree !

does this picture translate your thoughts, nzl fan ?

Latest posts