• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Premier League Thread

Yep gone today, signed for â'¬12 million and that's the last we'll hear of Michael Owen, enjoy the benchwarming.

He'll be back.

I'll miss him.

Well, from tomorrow, the talking stops and the action begins. COME ON LIVERPOOL!

A brief summary of today's action. Full reports are also here:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.a...turday+round-up

Bolton Wanderers' Jay-Jay Okocha was the star of the afternoon with a double strike in his side's 4-1 thumping of Charlton Athletic.

The Nigeria skipper failed to score all last season in the league but drilled home a free kick to open the scoring on his birthday. Henrik Pedersen doubled the advantage before Okocha netted again.

Although Kevin Lisbie pulled one back for the visitors, Pedersen notched his second of the afternoon to clinch an emphatic home win.

Portsmouth and Birmingham City drew 1-1 at Fratton Park with David Unsworth's calmly taken penalty cancelling out Robbie Savage's free kick opener.

West Brom drew first blood at Ewood Park with a deflected free kick by Neil Clement but Blackburn hit back with Craig Short's brave header from a Michael Gray cross. Despite a late penalty shout, The Baggies held out with Kanu able to ease any pressure with some sublime work.

Manchester City striker Robbie Fowler's excellently executed hooked shot deserved to give Kevin Keegan's men the three points such was the artistry involved, but Fulham replied with a Collins John equaliser.

Aston Villa defeated Southampton 2-0 with both goals coming inside the first half. Darius Vassell and Carlton Cole showed they could be a partnership to be feared by getting on the scoresheet in a comfortable home victory.

Crystal Palace managed a point from their trip against fellow Promotion new boys Norwich City as Andy Johnson continued his good scoring form with a well-taken leveller. Darren Huckerby, another regular scorer at the lower level, got off to a good start with the opener.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's last-gasp goal earned Middlesbrough a 2-2 draw with Newcastle at The Riverside.

The Dutchman popped up to head home from close-range with a dubious goal as the ball appeared to strike his arm before going into the net.

Craig Bellamy had given Newcastle an early lead before Boro substitute Stewart Downing levelled matters on 73 minutes.

Alan Shearer seemed to have grabbed the winner with a penalty seven minutes from time until Hasselbaink grabbed his last equaliser.

Earlier in the day, Tottenham's Jermain Defoe ensured parity in the game with Liverpool after Djibril Cisse opened his Reds account.

Frustrating start, continuing in similar vein to last season, dropping points away from home with the game won. Cheating ******* Hasselbaink, be a man and admit it at least.

It was handball from Hasselbaink but to be honest it would have been a travesty if Newcastle would have won - Boro were worth their draw.

I accept that completely, but it's just so frustrating to be continuing like last season. Interesting to see Diouf is off to Bolton for the season, maybe Sam will work the midas touch on him as well.

I hope he flops diastrously myself.

I want him farmed off to Spain as soon as possible, he's a waste of space. And whoever buys him can have Salif Diao absolutely free.... buy one talentless Senegalese prick, get the other for free.

Seems to have suffered from the Houllier makes players crap syndrome. Maybe even Heskey could come good at Birmingham.

Yesterday's other results:

Everton 1 - 4 Arsenal

Chelsea 1 - 0 Man Utd

No great surprises there really.

Originally posted by incredible_holc@Aug 17 2004, 03:50 PM
go pompey, we are sho-ins for europe this year
If they awarded European places for the bottom 5 then maybe.

Jonothan Woodgate signed for Real Madrid today for £15 million.

If he stays injury free he'll be a big hit out there.

NExt season's madrid team

GK Casillas
RB Salgado
LB Carlos
CB Woodgate
CB Samuel

DMF Helguera
CMF Beckham
LMF Zidane
RMF Figo

CF Raul
CF Ronaldo

Morientes + Owen'll do well to get off the bench.

Jose is worrying me slightly.

1. Alexei Smertin is playing LFM.
2. Alexei Smertin has been our best player for the first 2 games!

Damien Duff plays 90 for Ireland, but doesn't make Chelsea's bench.

Chelsea are playing shite football, v.defensive and it's because Ferreira, Smertin, Makalele and Geremi are all shite going forwards, whereas Johnson, Duff, Parker and Cole would be much better in attack, and nothing would be lost defensively.

ANyway, not losing faith in him yet, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Arsenal have equalled Notts Forrest's record of 42 games unbeaten after beating Boro 5-3 today at Highbury. Hats off to them.

Latest posts