• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The refereeing of the 2010 Tri Nations

well owen franks been dropped,i think thats to do with his illegal breakdown work, henrys one step ahead of the refs again now that the attentions been drawn to the issue

This is pathetic seriously, that win in Eden park had was the most dominant display I have seen from a team supposedly at the same level or below the other possibly ever. The scoreline flattered the Springboks and it had nothing to do with the refs, the complaints are so abmiguous about transgressions at the breakdown, if there was favouritism there would be some evidence. The stats about yellow card to penalty ratio? You would really have to be stupid, yellow cards aren't meant to be given out at a consistent ratio to penalties. Anyone with half a brain can see its because SA fans can't handle loosing after having their expectations built up so high last year. It's different now, you have to play some rugby.

I hope the Springboks have moved on as a team - and that includes PDV - because the SA media and supporters are stuck on the rules, discipline etc. I was talking to a prominent coach recentley and he said, when it is bad you can either give up and resort to whinging or do something about it. And it applies to everything the team does, how they train, how they behave, their attitutde to the game etc.
I hope we see a spritited SA side on Saturday, because they are great when they are... havent seen a glimmer so far. Only Burger in the second test showed any kind of mongrel.

Swings and roundabouts guys

► Ranger probably should have been binned and he wasn't.
► Franks should not have been binned and he was.
► Kirchner should have been binned and wasn't
► Bakkies should have been sent off and he wasn't (suspended later but it didn't affect that game).
► Rossouw should not have been binned and he was.
► Mitchell should only have been binned for the second offence should not have got a red card
► Woodcock should have been binned an wasn't

All other cards were fully deserved.

And as for this comment...
Sparty said:
As for professional fouls , please guy , the Abs are the greatest transgressors , we all know that

My reply is...

As for dirty play, please guy , the Boks are the greatest transgressors , we all know that
Don't be fooled by this BS that somehow the Boks are always being hard done by. The fact is they have been given more yellow and red cards since introduced than any other international team, and by a wide margin. To suggest they have not been deserved is to suggest that referees world wide have picked on the Boks for the last 10 years, and puts us right back into the lunatic world of conspiracy theories.

Two more important things to consider.

1. The team under pressure is most likely to resort to illegalities, and if nothing else, the Boks have been under a lot of pressure in all their matches so far.

2. The number of penalties awarded does not accurately reflect which teams infringe more. You must also take into account "gained advantages", that is where a penalty advantage is awarded but the non-infringing team gains an advantage so a penalty kick is therefore not awarded and does not appear in the match stats. In the first Tri-Nations test, the penalty & free kick count favoured the Springboks 12-5. However, the "gained advantages" favored the All Blacks 9-3. Add these up and it comes to 15-14 in favour of the Boks, much much closer!

Last edited:
well owen franks been dropped,i think thats to do with his illegal breakdown work, henrys one step ahead of the refs again now that the attentions been drawn to the issue

And you know this because....... how exactly

Actually he has been replaced due to a calf strain, and the fact that his brother played a blinder for Tasman v Hawkes Bay on Saturday, but you couldn't have known that, being as you're from Otaki and all!!

And you know this because....... how exactly

Actually he has been replaced due to a calf strain, and the fact that his brother played a blinder for Tasman v Hawkes Bay on Saturday, but you couldn't have known that, being as you're from Otaki and all!!
You might want to see who's making the comment first before you post. Obviously that was suppose to be directed at me because I'm from Otaki. I was born in Wellington thou and compared to Nelson well need I say more??

This is pathetic seriously, that win in Eden park had was the most dominant display I have seen from a team supposedly at the same level or below the other possibly ever. The scoreline flattered the Springboks and it had nothing to do with the refs, the complaints are so abmiguous about transgressions at the breakdown, if there was favouritism there would be some evidence. The stats about yellow card to penalty ratio? You would really have to be stupid, yellow cards aren't meant to be given out at a consistent ratio to penalties. Anyone with half a brain can see its because SA fans can't handle loosing after having their expectations built up so high last year. It's different now, you have to play some rugby.

There is evidence ! How can you say that yellow cards arent meant to be given out at a constant ratio to penalties when 2 of our yellow cards were for professional fouls ? Thats the point I think. Here is how I read it , the Boks were carded and in this case I am referring to Bakkies and BJ smit due to professional fouls ie killing the ball in the red Zone. On the other hand the ABS we penalized but not carded. Bakkies was carded for a professional foul in the first few mins of the game and as a first offense ie no team warning however the ABS were on something like 3-4 team warnings with Mccaww coping at least half of that. Look , dont get me wrong Bakkies the idiot deserved to be red carded and maybe the ref saw it on the big screen and thought oops I made a mistake , but 2 wrongs dont make a right and the ref was not consistent. The evidence is all over the net with former Wallabie coach also highlighting the transgressions , we had it on SA telly a few weeks ago and quiet frankly its boring arguing about something so blantantly wrong so we will agree to disagree. The thing is times will change and karma is a b**** and the Abs will be blown off the park and you wont get away with killing the ball , slowing it down etc etc. What will then happen ?

Seriously I can handle losing , fact is the ABS are my second favorite team in the world and I love watching them cos they play awesome rugby.In my family and friends 90% support the ABS and I too have supported them since the age of 8 I think when I saw the haka for the first time so I dont mind losing when it fair , however its has not been entirely fair and that I cannot handle , still the ABS have certainly stepped up and closed the gap that existed last year and this year in the Super14 but the Gap is not as big as you think.

Lastly , I am offended dare you even think we won last year without playing , make no mistake this is a great Bok team and have achieved what the ABS are still to achieve. Remmeber we have some vital players injured as well , take away Mccaw and Carter from the ABs and what do you have ? We missing FDP and Broussow plus Steyn is self exiled and Juan Smit is only just returning. The jury is out , we shall see what transgresses this w\end.

You might want to see who's making the comment first before you post. Obviously that was suppose to be directed at me because I'm from Otaki. I was born in Wellington thou and compared to Nelson well need I say more??

Opps so my bad smartcooky please do except my apology

No worries at all mate. It was NOT directed at you at all. Squirrel claims to be from Otaki.

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...l-Blacks-here.&p=336273&viewfull=1#post336273

The comment was directed fairly and squarely at him.

inside word is that hes to reckless and a walking penalty,same could apply to conrad smith and sivivatu
woodward try and find one post of mine when i have claimed a conspiracy from the refs, im a clean member

inside word is that hes to reckless and a walking penalty,same could apply to conrad smith and sivivatu
woodward try and find one post of mine when i have claimed a conspiracy from the refs, im a clean member

Inside word?
2funny.gif

Only one reply to that....

mangatainoka.jpg

Or as Leighton Smith would say..."Oh spare me!!!"

Ok Sparty well first of all theres a difference between a foul and a professional foul, that video was a bunch of crap and you know it and Dwyers an idiot an known for that sort of carry on. Perhaps the ref thought McCaw was offending but not a professionally so to speak, I'll say it again it had no affect on the outcome or even the margin but if it makes you feel better so be it. As you admit there were errors going both ways, as there always is however the slowing the ball crap is just a convenient and ambiguous excuse thats purely down to interpretation and in this case has been hyped up by sore loosers and mass hysteria. South African telly, thats it sorted then! Blatantly wrong haha, the All Blacks were blatantly food poisoned and blatantly ripped off in 07 so thats 3 WC's too the All Blacks and none to SA there you go.
I do think South Africa hardly played last year, decent team but they hardly played especially in Hamilton, worst test I've ever seen. Closed the gap? they have opened up a gap themselves much bigger than the one that existed last year just look at the rankings. The jury is not out on the AB's, its a great team no matter what happens on saturday and a better one than South Africa's best one at the moment when was the last time they beat the All Blacks by 20 points and 4 tries nil none the less

Seriously I can handle losing , fact is the ABS are my second favorite team in the world and I love watching them cos they play awesome rugby.In my family and friends 90% support the ABS and I too have supported them since the age of 8 I think when I saw the haka for the first time so I dont mind losing when it fair , however its has not been entirely fair and that I cannot handle , still the ABS have certainly stepped up and closed the gap that existed last year and this year in the Super14 but the Gap is not as big as you think.

Being the outplayed/worse team and losing seems pretty fair to me. You can't agrue that the Bok's have looked better than NZ or AUS in any of their games surely... and the gap is bigger than you think, just look at the results along with the points differential. The gap will increase too if your coach doesn't cease with his stubborn ways.

Ok Sparty well first of all theres a difference between a foul and a professional foul, that video was a bunch of crap and you know it and Dwyers an idiot an known for that sort of carry on. Perhaps the ref thought McCaw was offending but not a professionally so to speak, I'll say it again it had no affect on the outcome or even the margin but if it makes you feel better so be it. As you admit there were errors going both ways, as there always is however the slowing the ball crap is just a convenient and ambiguous excuse thats purely down to interpretation and in this case has been hyped up by sore loosers and mass hysteria. South African telly, thats it sorted then! Blatantly wrong haha, the All Blacks were blatantly food poisoned and blatantly ripped off in 07 so thats 3 WC's too the All Blacks and none to SA there you go.
I do think South Africa hardly played last year, decent team but they hardly played especially in Hamilton, worst test I've ever seen. Closed the gap? they have opened up a gap themselves much bigger than the one that existed last year just look at the rankings. The jury is not out on the AB's, its a great team no matter what happens on saturday and a better one than South Africa's best one at the moment when was the last time they beat the All Blacks by 20 points and 4 tries nil none the less

The facts are that this team beat the BL , won a WC and beat NZ twice in NZ in the last few years. Thats 2 x more than any other previous Bok team. Thats also 2 more WC than NZ. Granted 2007 was an easy one for us but that was not our fault , you guys were pathetic on the day....again. Sore losers ? Geez guy , the majority of SA fans acknowledge the ABS were the better team , the majority of SA fans accept that we need to work hard and maybe just maybe our hero's are past their sell by date. However the Majority are also sick of the crap reffing , its frustrating to watch our team unable to get fast ball cos some ABS prop is lying offside again but not being penalized , and as a former player I can tell its demoralizing as well , you just wanna smack the crap out of him at times.

Anyway , dont mistake me complaining as a sign that we accept things the way it is , we know we need to up our game , we need a open side flank , we need a 8th man , better scrummie and inside centre. Fullback as well is a area of concern as the current FB is safe but thats about it. Last but not least our cappie is way off the pace , we know that , he knows that and it will be addressed. Normally I think he might nit have played this coming w\end but its his 100th game. Speaking about 100th game , I wonder if the fact that he is in his last 90's does not contribute to John Smit's form. Same like in cricket , nervous 90's ? Many times we see a batsmen playing stunning shots up until the 90 mark , then suddenly he goes into his shell and score the hundred off singles............nay he is just unfit :)

The facts are that this team beat the BL , won a WC and beat NZ twice in NZ in the last few years. Thats 2 x more than any other previous Bok team. Thats also 2 more WC than NZ. Granted 2007 was an easy one for us but that was not our fault , you guys were pathetic on the day....again. Sore losers ? Geez guy , the majority of SA fans acknowledge the ABS were the better team , the majority of SA fans accept that we need to work hard and maybe just maybe our hero's are past their sell by date. However the Majority are also sick of the crap reffing , its frustrating to watch our team unable to get fast ball cos some ABS prop is lying offside again but not being penalized , and as a former player I can tell its demoralizing as well , you just wanna smack the crap out of him at times.

Anyway , dont mistake me complaining as a sign that we accept things the way it is , we know we need to up our game , we need a open side flank , we need a 8th man , better scrummie and inside centre. Fullback as well is a area of concern as the current FB is safe but thats about it. Last but not least our cappie is way off the pace , we know that , he knows that and it will be addressed. Normally I think he might nit have played this coming w\end but its his 100th game. Speaking about 100th game , I wonder if the fact that he is in his last 90's does not contribute to John Smit's form. Same like in cricket , nervous 90's ? Many times we see a batsmen playing stunning shots up until the 90 mark , then suddenly he goes into his shell and score the hundred off singles............nay he is just unfit :)
When did South Africa win a third World Cup?

Anyway, the game is this Saturday, can everyone please just post constructive things about the game, eg on form players, or players who'd you'd like to see play well, even selection discussions. This forum has turned a bit too hostile recently.

come on cooky i didnt claim to be the insider, besides they said the same thing about isaac ross needing a rest

Latest posts