• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The "Religion" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacovw and Roth, have you read any of the anti-religion stuff that has been published over the past 5 years. Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins etc I'm just wondering, if you have read it, and if so do you just dismiss its contents?

Its not a trick question and I must admit I avoid (like the plague) anything trying to discuss the "science" of christianity. I spose I'd want to know, if someone was to provide you with unquestionable proof that confirmed certain elements of the bible could not be true (e.g. Evolution was fact, the great flood never happened, the planet is greater than 10,000 years old), would it actually make any difference to you. Would you continue professing your belief in the bible? or would something change?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 28 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jacovw and Roth, have you read any of the anti-religion stuff that has been published over the past 5 years. Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins etc I'm just wondering, if you have read it, and if so do you just dismiss its contents?

Its not a trick question and I must admit I avoid (like the plague) anything trying to discuss the "science" of christianity. I spose I'd want to know, if someone was to provide you with unquestionable proof that confirmed certain elements of the bible could not be true (e.g. Evolution was fact, the great flood never happened, the planet is greater than 10,000 years old), would it actually make any difference to you. Would you continue professing your belief in the bible? or would something change?[/b]
It's like I've stated previously. I refuse to limit God to the understanding of the mind Stephen Hawking. If God is who the Bible says He is, He does not abide within the realm of our reality. Being above the natural laws defines Supernatural. If God is a Supernatural being, then why do we keep trying to define Him by nature. This is why the church has always called things "mysteries." I cannot explain, nor defend scientifically every iota of scripture. This is why I've made comment after comment about faith. These mysteries is where my faith steps up and fills the gap. So, for me it's more of an acceptance of the Supernatural, saying that there are somethings that happen in this world that truly cannot be explained. Does this mean that we, religious people, hinder the work of science? No, the church did that in the past and it was a mistake (one they have owned up to). I believe in evolution to an extent. I do not believe we all came from a single cell, etc.... We, all organisms, over time evolve, but I don't think there is much plausible evidence for the drastic changes that everyone goes on about. Those missing links are theories.

I still think that the only issue that remains, is if we had to 'come from somewhere', then how does that rule not apply to God? If he was 'just there' from the beginning of time, then how can we, and everything that exists, not just 'be there'?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 28 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still think that the only issue that remains, is if we had to 'come from somewhere', then how does that rule not apply to God? If he was 'just there' from the beginning of time, then how can we, and everything that exists, not just 'be there'?[/b]
Natural law vs. Supernatural being. The term supernatural should be explanatory enough to convey the idea of something to which the rules of the universe do not apply.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 28 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting, thanks for the answer. I have always asked people the same question and few have been able to deliver a proper answer. Have you ever read any of Friedrich Nietzsche's works? Books like "Human, All Too Human", "Beyond Good and Evil" and "On the Genealogy of Morality" pose serious criticism to Christianity in general, albeit in a very creative way.

It'd be nice if we had somebody who professes a religion totally different from Christianism to post here. For example, I know somebody at Uni who is a Muslim, and his views on the history of the world, evolution and such are surprisingly fantastic.[/b]

I haven't, but I've heard a lot on it. Like the ***les though, and i think there in the first one is where i find faith easy. People are just all too Human :) .
Now I'm not one of those bitter "everyone's out to get me" types, but I've learned even in my short lifespan that every human, no matter how great, will let you down at some stage... now sometimes it feels like god does as well, like when my little girl is sick, but it's hard to explain but he always seems to flip the coin so my wife and i stand at the end of it all and go, why don't we just trust him from the beginning. have you ever read the book Christianity: A ready defense, by Josh McDowell. He was an Agnostic who set out to intellectually refute Christianity and instead became one through his own research. There's another journalists who did the same but i can't remember his name.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 28 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Its not a trick question and I must admit I avoid (like the plague) anything trying to discuss the "science" of christianity. I spose I'd want to know, if someone was to provide you with unquestionable proof that confirmed certain elements of the bible could not be true (e.g. Evolution was fact, the great flood never happened, the planet is greater than 10,000 years old), would it actually make any difference to you. Would you continue professing your belief in the bible? or would something change?[/b]

Very interesting word
It's like undisputed. if you say undisputed or unquestionable it means nobody can even attempt a question at it! This applies to facts... Nobody Questions weather fire is hot, ice is cold, turd stinks or gravity hurts when you're big. these are facts that cannot be denied even if you tried. Therefore you will find no sane person on earth who tries... No one ever denies anything that is unquestionable! And so, you see, that which has people for and against it, can always be disputed, and is never fact.

My final word on the science thing!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jacovw @ Oct 28 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
have you ever read the book Christianity: A ready defense, by Josh McDowell. He was an Agnostic who set out to intellectually refute Christianity and instead became one through his own research. There's another journalists who did the same but i can't remember his name.[/b]
CS Lewis is another good example for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 28 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's like I've stated previously. I refuse to limit God to the understanding of the mind Stephen Hawking. If God is who the Bible says He is, He does not abide within the realm of our reality. Being above the natural laws defines Supernatural. If God is a Supernatural being, then why do we keep trying to define Him by nature. This is why the church has always called things "mysteries." I cannot explain, nor defend scientifically every iota of scripture. This is why I've made comment after comment about faith. These mysteries is where my faith steps up and fills the gap. So, for me it's more of an acceptance of the Supernatural, saying that there are somethings that happen in this world that truly cannot be explained. Does this mean that we, religious people, hinder the work of science? No, the church did that in the past and it was a mistake (one they have owned up to). I believe in evolution to an extent. I do not believe we all came from a single cell, etc.... We, all organisms, over time evolve, but I don't think there is much plausible evidence for the drastic changes that everyone goes on about. Those missing links are theories.[/b]

Ok, this is a post I finally can't argue with. We've reached the point where we can agree to disagree... I/ others have constantly been frustrated by the poxy Christian 'versions' of science put forward in this topic. I'm sure the religion team have felt they were throwing answers at brick walls too.

The bolded sentence I think underlines the place religion (in my opinion) should have in the world. It is the place where the atheist vs. religion camps can no longer solidly fight, because no one has any evidence to explain the 'unexplainable', so both sides are putting forth guesswork. There is no point in sending out ludicrous 'facts' in order to prove the Bible. Facts are what define atheism; it's futile to fight us on our strongest points. However, we have no positive answer for 'how was the universe created?' and hundreds of other questions.

So here, the Atheist must accept that he has no definite answer. The believer will have an answer proven by nothing but faith. Here is where we can shake hands and agree that one is tomAto and another is tomAAto and neither is certainly right nor certainly wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 29 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 28 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot explain, nor defend scientifically every iota of scripture. This is why I've made comment after comment about faith. These mysteries is where my faith steps up and fills the gap. So, for me it's more of an acceptance of the Supernatural, saying that there are somethings that happen in this world that truly cannot be explained.[/b]

Ok, this is a post I finally can't argue with. We've reached the point where we can agree to disagree... I/ others have constantly been frustrated by the poxy Christian 'versions' of science put forward in this topic. I'm sure the religion team have felt they were throwing answers at brick walls too.

The bolded sentence I think underlines the place religion (in my opinion) should have in the world. It is the place where the atheist vs. religion camps can no longer solidly fight, because no one has any evidence to explain the 'unexplainable', so both sides are putting forth guesswork. There is no point in sending out ludicrous 'facts' in order to prove the Bible. Facts are what define atheism; it's futile to fight us on our strongest points. However, we have no positive answer for 'how was the universe created?' and hundreds of other questions.

So here, the Atheist must accept that he has no definite answer. The believer will have an answer proven by nothing but faith. Here is where we can shake hands and agree that one is tomAto and another is tomAAto and neither is certainly right nor certainly wrong.
[/b][/quote]
No, you've got to do better than that.

The mystery is love. That is all that matters, and sod the Beginning of the Universe issue.

How does science approach that one? It simply doesn't, because it's insufficient.

Of course you could bang on about some bogus scientific discipline like ... uuuh ... evolutionary psychology, but you'd have to be some nutter who relies on faith over evidence to pretend that makes any sense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 29 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 28 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot explain, nor defend scientifically every iota of scripture. This is why I've made comment after comment about faith. These mysteries is where my faith steps up and fills the gap. So, for me it's more of an acceptance of the Supernatural, saying that there are somethings that happen in this world that truly cannot be explained.[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Well, at least we've got somewhere with all of this. Maybe I finally explained my faith point better, but to be honest, it's what I've been getting at for several pages, albeit maybe not so clearly. I will say, from a Historical standpoint the Bible is more accurate that people give it credit for. I'm deep into the History department at my University which is full of Atheists/Agnostics. However, the one thing they will say, is that from a historical viewpoint the bible has been hard to discredit. So, I'll rest my case with this: Jericoh, thought to be made up biblical account, found and proved real, with evidence showing a great catastrophe that destroyed the walls. Whether or not you want to say earthquake or God, the bible was proved right. I'm not going to go on and on, just that We do have some facts, we're not all just hocus pocus.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Oct 28 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No, you've got to do better than that.

The mystery is love. That is all that matters, and sod the Beginning of the Universe issue.

How does science approach that one? It simply doesn't, because it's insufficient.

Of course you could bang on about some bogus scientific discipline like ... uuuh ... evolutionary psychology, but you'd have to be some nutter who relies on faith over evidence to pretend that makes any sense.[/b]
I agree...not a fan of evolutionary psychology either. Love is a mystery, a choice and something that can truly change the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jacovw @ Oct 28 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
if you say undisputed or unquestionable it means nobody can even attempt a question at it! This applies to facts... Nobody Questions weather fire is hot, ice is cold, turd stinks or gravity hurts when you're big. these are facts that cannot be denied even if you tried. Therefore you will find no sane person on earth who tries... No one ever denies anything that is unquestionable! And so, you see, that which has people for and against it, can always be disputed, and is never fact.[/b]
You didnt answer the question. If something was defined as fact (clearly and unquestionably) and it disproved the bible, would you pay attention or just ignore it? Roth has already said he'll ignore it in favour of his belief in the supernatural. I presume your the same?

Oh ..... and your point about a dispute meaning something is not fact is just wrong. People (well religions people) argued that the world was flat not too long ago while the fact remained that the world was not flat at all. It never had been. One party being wrong does not stop a fact from being a fact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 28 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If God is a Supernatural being, then why do we keep trying to define Him by nature. This is why the church has always called things "mysteries."[/b]
So regardless of what Science comes up with, your just going to ignore every fact that contradicts the bible, and teach your kids to do the same.

Does this mean that we, religious people, hinder the work of science? ............................. We, all organisms, over time evolve, but I don't think there is much plausible evidence for the drastic changes that everyone goes on about. Those missing links are theories.[/b]
A complete contradiction there. Does religion hinder Science? You say No, but in the same breath you question whether Evolution is fact or not. Bullshit.

Do you both agree with teaching Creationism to children as a form of Science?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 28 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so both sides are putting forth guesswork............................. Here is where we can shake hands and agree that one is tomAto and another is tomAAto and neither is certainly right nor certainly wrong.[/b]
Are you for real? They are happy to state that the supernatural superceeds the factual.

Factually they have absolutely nothing to back it up yet yet when questioned about these, they throw a form of Pseudoscience out to cast doubt on a solid scientific thoery as if that is all that is required. If that doesnt work they just say its because hes supernatural and your going to hell.

For example, it was reported today that scientists have found a star so far away it has taken 13billion years for its light to reach us (Source Irish Times). Now the laws of the universe (that god supposedly created) state that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum. The majority of the universe would appear to be a vacuum yet the answer I received was that I havent been out in the universe so it might not be a vacuum, and that scientists have discovered ways to speed up or slow down light (13 billions years vs 10,000 years! Come on!).

When asked about the great flood they conceptualise building a huge boat and they actually have a thesis on the two by twosies of animals. Again, even if its disproven they can just sat that their god is supernatural and made it all happen that way.

44% of Americans believe in Creationist views on the world. They believe it should be thought as a form of science. There is nothing factual about their beliefs. Stop conceeding to them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 29 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So regardless of what Science comes up with, your just going to ignore every fact that contradicts the bible, and teach your kids to do the same.[/b]
No, it's not ignoring science. It's saying God is beyond it. If God by supernatural powers makes a man levitate or say "walk on water" and I wholeheartedly believe it, does it mean that I don't believe in gravity? No, I totally believe in flippin' gravity, it means that I believe that Natural Laws Do Not Apply To The Supernatural.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 29 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A complete contradiction there. Does religion hinder Science? You say No, but in the same breath you question whether Evolution is fact or not. Bullshit.[/b]
I say that religious people shouldn't hinder the work of science. I don't question evolution, I question how far people try to apply it without proof, just like you question my ideas of faith.

Do you both agree with teaching Creationism to children as a form of Science?[/b]
Creation and the Big Bang are both theories. One is a religious theory that dominates a lot of western thought, the other is a scientific theory that has come to be creationisms main rival. They are theories...end of the story. It's not it's own branch of science, it's a theory about how the world began, one that the world has believed for a much greater time than the big bang. I think neither should be taught as absolutes, but both referenced as theories for the beginning of existance as we know it.

They are happy to state that the supernatural superceeds the factual.[/b]
If the supernatural exists, then by it's own name it "super"ceeds the <strike>factual</strike> natural.

Factually they have absolutely nothing to back it up yet yet when questioned about these, they throw a form of Pseudoscience out to cast doubt on a solid scientific thoery as if that is all that is required. If that doesnt work they just say its because hes supernatural and your going to hell.

For example, it was reported today that scientists have found a star so far away it has taken 13billion years for its light to reach us (Source Irish Times). Now the laws of the universe (that god supposedly created) state that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum. The majority of the universe would appear to be a vacuum yet the answer I received was that I havent been out in the universe so it might not be a vacuum, and that scientists have discovered ways to speed up or slow down light (13 billions years vs 10,000 years! Come on!).

When asked about the great flood they conceptualise building a huge boat and they actually have a thesis on the two by twosies of animals. Again, even if its disproven they can just sat that their god is supernatural and made it all happen that way.

44% of Americans believe in Creationist views on the world. They believe it should be thought as a form of science. There is nothing factual about their beliefs. Stop conceeding to them.[/b]
You just come off as bitter and angry, no offense. I honestly like you, and usually have a laugh at what you write here on TRF, so don't let this whole thread of convo spoil the rest of it. What you and I generally disagree on is the acceptance of the supernatural, ie. God being infinite, omnipresent, all powerful. Creationists argue whether or not the universe or world was made in a literal 7 days, or if that was a symbolic statement representing 7 periods or whatever. I'm not going to do that with you. To me it doesn't matter if God farted and we were. What I do know is that I have seen too much in my life to not believe that a greater power started all of this. I don't know how, and I don't fully know why. In the areas where I don't know the how's and the why's my faith in the God of Abraham steps in. So, no, you can't empircally argue with that. It is the essence of faith and any conversation we have about it will just frustrate you.

Log, I honestly don't agree with 90% of what Roth says, but at least he's conceded that what he believes is 'unprovable'. To me, that indicates that he has made a personal decision and so nothing we say is going to change him. I respect him saying that far more than trying to argue a case for the 'unprovable' like he and especially jacouw have done.

The majority of enlightened people accept the findings of science. For the rest, we must allow them to make their own decisions, hoping that one day they will become enlightened. The ones who argue back must be debated to submission.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 29 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The majority of enlightened people accept the findings of science. For the rest, we must allow them to make their own decisions, hoping that one day they will become enlightened. The ones who argue back must be debated to submission.[/b]
...as we hope you also become enlightened. :lol: :D
It is amusing that you use the word enlighten as the founders of the Enlightenment were all Diests...uhm and Darwin was a Diest. So, it's not just us. It's not as if all of science were screaming that there is no God, just a loud portion of it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 29 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No, it's not ignoring science. It's saying God is beyond it. If God
I say that religious people shouldn't hinder the work of science. I don't question evolution, I question how far people try to apply it without proof, just like you question my ideas of faith.[/b]
Grand so, but when we absolute proof is provided, you can pull the supernatural card. Reason vs Faith. Ginger is right though (maybe you said it too), its pointless to discussed it any further.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 29 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You just come off as bitter and angry, no offense. I honestly like you, and usually have a laugh at what you write here on TRF, so don't let this whole thread of convo spoil the rest of it.[/b]
This is the internet. Nothing is personal on the internet. Unless someone from the SH disses Brian O'Driscoll. Then I'll desert storm their ass (or was it operation Iraqi freedom?)

What you and I generally disagree on is the acceptance of the supernatural[/b]
Totally. But the main thing that frustrates me is when Christians push their views out into the mainstream. The Science thing drives me nuts alright as pretty much every christian science thoery has been disproven, or is so far fetched that it actually cannot be disproven, yet a president of the most dangerous country in the world cannot be elected unless he shares those views and pampers to that political lobby.

At the same time, by accepting your views, and allowing religious freedom we enable a far more dangerous view coming from the middle east.

Islam is a violent religion and a danger to all civilised society. Discuss :)

or

Hitler would have been nice if he wasnt a Christian! Discuss :)

Originally posted by Logorrhea
This is the internet. Nothing is personal on the internet. Unless someone from the SH disses Brian O'Driscoll. Then I'll desert storm their ass (or was it operation Iraqi freedom?)

WHAT!? WHO DISSED BRIAN????!!!ONE11!!!!

Islam isn't a threat...Radical Islam is a threat.
Christianity isn't a threat...Radical Christianity is a threat.
Socialism isn't a threat...Radical Socialism is a threat.
Capitalism isn't a threat...Radical Capitalism is a threat.

Do you see the trend? Christians put their beliefs out into the public because they dictate our morals. We, as well as Islamists, have a strong sense of right and wrong, good and bad. The state's role (and now we're drifting into a completely new genre for this debate) is to provide freedom, and protect property and something about the pursuit of happiness or something. These concepts which truly came into fruition during the period of enlightenment create a protective umbrella. One which allows religious freedom, but at the same time doesn't censor or control religion and vice versa. Having said that, the morals of the majority dictate the law of the land. If law is interpretive then each government will be different, and will evolve based on the region and people (I believe I'm vaguely referencing Rousso(sp) or someone). So, yes, in America, Christian morals and principlas dominate the landscape. It's no different in the rest of the Western World. Just because you don't believe in God, Christ or any of that doesn't mean your sense of right and wrong, good and bad hasn't been drastically influenced by those things. Where you and I will disagree is on topics that have recently popped up like abortion, stem cell research, etc... It is these such topics that I will pull the faith card. I don't think there is anything radical about it. Radicalism would be us censoring all media (which I'm against), making women dress a certain way (which I'm against, I like low cut tops and short skirts on girls...well, not all of them, but the attractive ones...maybe we can make them all dress like that?), starting an inquisition, forming a state church. There is a difference with religious people using their voting power to promote their morals and a radical take over like what happened in Iran.

There's no such thing as Socialism or Capitalism without the "radical" prefix.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 29 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's no such thing as Socialism or Capitalism without the "radical" prefix.[/b]
That's not true. One Example: Canada, the least radical of all nation-states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts