• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Road To Germany

I reckon the aussies will give a real shake-up...similar to Guus with Korea in 2002..........heck its the same mastermind running the show.

Our International record isnt that bad

Nearly at 50% win loss ratio, playing decent oppostion....everyone from asia that we have played we have a better win/loss record - thus better then Korea.

We have drawn against powerhouses like France/England (even beaten Brazil and England, although a while ago).

We are the sleeping giant.

Beating Uraguay.....although some would say, not a hard task, but beforehand we were written off, and we dominated the 1st half in montevideo and the entire match @ sydney, so IMO we had the sky blue's number in each match, and dont forget they beat the ARGIES to play us in the play-off.

We have nearly the whole squad in decent leagues, and for the 1st time, they all get to don the green n gold..........so i wouldnt be making rash predictions that we will underachieve

Watch out

Stranger things have happened..........look at the Ashes....look at the pakis now....look at Greece in EURO.......and look at them now.......we have Guus and look at Guus with Korea in 2002.

The TAB will be getting a good workout in australia...the value will be too good to pass up

I wouldn't be surprised if we make the top 8 you know - it would take a lot of luck - but I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't make it passed the first round. Look how far Hiddink took us in four months, imagine what we could be capable of in another seven.

We will probably play games against Holland and Greece, as well as the qualifiers for the Asian Cup. That's not bad preparation by any means.

Brazil to take it out.

I going to put all my money on those perennial chokers the English, now that they've got Rooney he can frighten the **** out defences in more ways than one plus the Premiership is the greatest league in the world and Sven is the dogs ********.

Their shouldn't exactly be blow outs in the soccer world cup, afterall its easy to play negative football.

The Republic probably, but the North did beat England this year. The Republic is probably at it's lowest point in terms of soccer in decades. We sacked our manager this year and have yet to appoint a new one. Things are pretty bleak.

Brazil all the way; if they avoid injuries they will be tough to beat. RoI should be a good team, they just have a power mad midfielder and an interfering FA.

The Rep Ireland has the better players by far Duff,RoyKeane,RobbieKeane,O'shea,Given.....

My prediction for the top 16 at Germany06

final)Brazil(winner)
final)Holland(2nd)
semi)Argentina(3rd)
semi)Germany(4th)
qtrs)Mexico
qtrs)Portugal
qtrs)England
qtrs)France
r16)Spain
r16)Czech Republic
r16)AUSTRALIA!!
r16)Iran
r16)Japan
r16)Italy
r16)Croatia
r16)Paraguay
i think im gonna put some money on Mexico to win it ,should be good value.
Cant wait for the final draw just over a week to go!

My $$ is on Germany and Aussie (for patriotic value only)

Germany are always thereabouts, and mostly forgotton on the betting totes.

Originally posted by Wally@Dec 1 2005, 09:59 AM
My money is on Holland and Brazil. How does the USA usually go at the Cup?
they made the qtrs last time
it took germany to knock them out, and germany went onto the final eventually

i think they may have that young gun Adu
and Brandon Donavan or something like that

they go ok.........which is why our aussies must fair better, as we have a batter win/loss record against the yanks......

they qualify all the time, and we have twice - this is proof the oceanic thing screws the aussies over

our ranking of 54th IS NOT a true indication of our ability

We are better than the yanks....SIMPLE AS THAT...........our head to head history is proof............i read in a paper we have their number head-to-head

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Dec 1 2005, 05:35 AM
i think im gonna put some money on Mexico to win it ,should be good value.
Dont, it would be a waste of money.

anyways...

Interesting read: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...orldcup&cc=3436

From Australia's point of view, their hopes in the WC will come down to the power of their group. Because they are seeded in the 4th tier, they will most probably have two very quality teams in thier group, and one team that is on Australia's level or worse than them.

My Final 16 Predictions:
Definites: Germany, Italy, England, Holland, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, France,
Probables: Mexico, Sweden
Possibles Japan, Poland, Paraguay, Croatia, South Korea, Ukraine, USA, Australia, Serbia
Eleminated Togo, Iran, Equador, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Saudi Arabia, Angola, Switzerland, Tunisia, T&T

The definites will be joined with five from either the probables or possibles, depending on the group draws. I'm gonna wait a week before posting my prediction.

Originally posted by ak47+Dec 1 2005, 10:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Dec 1 2005, 10:40 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Dec 1 2005, 09:59 AM
My money is on Holland and Brazil. How does the USA usually go at the Cup?
they made the qtrs last time
it took germany to knock them out, and germany went onto the final eventually

i think they may have that young gun Adu
and Brandon Donavan or something like that

they go ok.........which is why our aussies must fair better, as we have a batter win/loss record against the yanks......

they qualify all the time, and we have twice - this is proof the oceanic thing screws the aussies over

our ranking of 54th IS NOT a true indication of our ability

We are better than the yanks....SIMPLE AS THAT...........our head to head history is proof............i read in a paper we have their number head-to-head[/b]
Landon Donovan.
And, yeah, Freddy Adu (16 yrs old
<
) will be in the US camp.

And the Aussies have our number, indeed:

You beat us 1 - 0 in 1992.
We drew in 1998 (after a particularly shitty US display in the WC'98).

And that's it.

For that boast, ak47, I'll throw my hat into the ring and say that should we play each other in this World Cup, we will beat you.
<

Serious, though.
<

Looking forward to the draw.

Wally, US results (cause I know you care):
1930 - Semifinals.
<
Then hammered by the Argies.
1934 - dicko.
1950 - dicko but beat England 1 - 0 though the world press reported it as a 10 - 0 drubbing for England.
1990 - dicko.
1994 - dicko.
1998 - supreme deeecko.
2002 - Quarterfinals. Then lost to't Hun 1 - 0.

So, we usually go a-dicko at the cup, but in recent years we have actually been playing pretty damn good. We're definitely not one to take lightly (for the time being).

Originally posted by captainamerica@Dec 1 2005, 01:44 PM
For that boast, ak47, I'll throw my hat into the ring and say that should we play each other in this World Cup, we will beat you.
<
i knew it wasnt something like many games and many wins

heck the aussies prolly play about 2 matches per year outside of asia

based on that record of 2 matches - it will be a very close battle indeed

But based on our player base in the euro leagues, our Super Coach of Hiddink (google Hiddink, say no more), our international record (which is damn impressive for 2 world cup appearances), beating Uraguay.........we look very good against the USA.

Our frontline are top tier forwards in the premier league - Dukes and Kewell
Our coach is......well..............I wont bother, you SHOULD KNOW.
Our keeper.......is prolly as good as yours (provided its the same dude as 2002)

I am very niave when it comes to USA soccer............I only get the time for educating in this field every 4 years, so i guess, if things have happened for the good since 2002, AUSSIE v USA will be a cracker.

Apart from the pool (swimming), we rarely get to muster up against the USA in sport.......due to the commonwealth sports and USA's sports...so i really hope we draw England and/or USA...........this forum will light up, if these 3 teams draw the same pool with France
<

Originally posted by Larry@Dec 1 2005, 12:50 PM
My Final 16 Predictions:
Definites: Germany, Italy, England, Holland, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, France,
Probables: Mexico, Sweden
Possibles Japan, Poland, Paraguay, Croatia, South Korea, Ukraine, USA, Australia, Serbia
Eleminated Togo, Iran, Equador, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Saudi Arabia, Angola, Switzerland, Tunisia, T&T
How can you have 8 definites and then 2 different probables? I'm assuming the quarter final stage consists of 8 teams here.

P.S. For some reason something in the back of my head tells me that America and Australia are two very evenly matched teams. It would be great to play the yankeeedoodles in a game that isn't so one sided (rugby, league, basketball) for a change.

For teams that have the potential to win the world cup it is tough to go past the usual suspects:

Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, England and Argentina.

And yes they are ranked in that order for a reason.

Brazil is the only nation to have won a world cup outside of their continent. So therefore I don't think that Argentina will figure in the top four for this world cup. England will do well - they may even make the semi finals if they have a bit of luck with the draw - but I doubt that they have the players or the coach to go all the way.

Italy and France haven't really impressed lately but no doubt will be competitive and the Germans, although they haven't played that well or many competitive games lately, will benefit from an easy draw and home advantage and have proven that they normally progress far even if they are not playing well.

Brazil remain the big threat and the smart money will be on them.

If anyone is thinking of putting money on Australia then they should save their money - Australia WILL NOT win the world cup. You should put your money on them not making it to the second round.

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 1 2005, 05:09 PM
Australia then they should save their money - Australia WILL NOT win the world cup.  You should put your money on them not making it to the second round.
The only person that said they would put money on Australia clearly indicated it was for partriotic reasons only. No one would put a serious bet on Australia winning the Cup, but thanks for the outstanding tip Mr. TAB.