• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The RWC CHAMPIONS gloating thread

I'm going to take this opportunity to just say that winning a WC does involve some luck
Lucky we're the best in the world!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Some will still argue (SA fans and in a way rightly so) the 1st two cups don't count because SA weren't involved. So we are actually just level pegging them, but we have still knocked them out in the last 2 KO games that we have played them so all good.
Not our fault they couldn't get their house in order!!

- - - Updated - - -

:lol
A new zealander calling new zealanders gracious winners...
Some have, quite a few most definitely have not. Hasty generalizations, like i've pointed out to you in the past, tend to lead to fallacies.

And can all the non NZers stop being so nice? Feels weird. Be more like this guy^^^^ love it when you guys get so jelli :D

I disagree. Am i entitled to an opinion or are you going to come with another of your conspiracy theories?

Look at the Aus vs ABs thread. Whoever dared to question anything got labelled a sore loser, biased, a sour grape. If that is your idea of graciousness then you and i have very different definitions of what "gracious" means.

I am not going to put all the nzers on the same boat and make the same fallacy you made tho: There are a few who were very gracious (AB2011 comes to mind, Larksea's post here is gracious too) but don't jump on the bandwagon, you're clearly not one of those.

I can give you a few nationalities that were, on average, 10x more gracious on defeat than you (not nzers, you) were on victory.

No problemo, you have always been welcome to have your opinion. Hopefully I'm allowed to have mine?

I disagree. Am i entitled to an opinion or are you going to come with another of your conspiracy theories?

Look at the Aus vs ABs thread. Whoever dared to question anything got labelled a sore loser, biased, a sour grape. If that is your idea of graciousness then you and i have very different definitions of what "gracious" means.

I am not going to put all the nzers on the same boat and make the same fallacy you made tho: There are a few who were very gracious (AB2011 comes to mind, Larksea's post here is gracious too) but don't jump on the bandwagon, you're clearly not one of those.

I can give you a few nationalities that were, on average, 10x more gracious on defeat than you (not nzers, you) were on victory.

I think in general you have a valid point. There will always be a few tactless "trolls" who do little more than bait for a reaction. They will always come out at RC & WC time then disappear again just as quickly.

I think in the main there are some incredible gracious members from all nations on this forum. It is these characters and contributors that sets rugby and us apart from some other mainstream sports.

Long live the genuine enthusiast.

I personally think any New Zealanders who indulge in arrogant comments or boasting and saying things like, "we're the best team in the world. We beat everyone we faced, we did it" etc, etc instead of saying, "we have the best team in the world. Our team beat every team they faced, they did it" are not living up to the kind of graciousness and humility of the All Blacks they and I support. None of us laced our boots up and played, so maybe give our team the credit, not yourselves, or the public of the nation.

If you're acting arrogantly and dismissively of the opposition, you're not really being the kind of supporter the All Blacks really enjoy the company of.

If other countries fans on here want to reduce the All Blacks' achievements and blame the ref entirely etc, then let that be a reflection on them. I know it can be hard facing the rubbish thrown the way of our All Blacks, the cheating assertions and the sour grapes etc, but for myself personally, I don't want to be on that same level if I can avoid it. The All Blacks will lose at some point again soon, as much as I hate to see it and we could have another season like 1998, followed by a World Cup like 1999.

Fate can be an odd thing when you tempt it with arrogance and I for one don't want to stand near it's cage, running a stick along the bars waiting for the inevitable reaction. Our All Blacks' are the best because of their skills, experience and strength sure, but also because they don't belittle their opposition. Every opponent deserves respect.

Last edited:
I personally think any New Zealanders who indulge in arrogant comments or boasting and saying things like, "we're the best team in the world. We beat everyone we faced, we did it" etc, etc instead of saying, "we have the best team in the world. Our team beat every team they faced, they did it" are not living up to the kind of graciousness and humility of the All Blacks they and I support. None of us laced our boots up and played, so maybe give our team the credit, not yourselves, or the public of the nation.

If you're acting that way, you're not really being the kind of supporter the All Blacks really enjoy the company of.

If other countries fans on here want to reduce the All Blacks' achievements and blame the ref entirely etc, then let that be a reflection on them. I know it can be hard facing the rubbish thrown the way of our All Blacks, the cheating assertions and the sour grapes etc, but for myself personally, I don't want to be on that same level if I can avoid it. The All Blacks will lose at some point again soon, as much as I hate to see it and we could have another season like 1998, followed by a World Cup like 1999.

Fate can be an odd thing when you tempt it with arrogance and I for one don't want to stand near it's cage, running a stick along the bars waiting for the inevitable reaction. Our All Blacks' are the best because of their skills, experience and strength sure, but also because they don't belittle their opposition. Every opponent deserves respect.

Well said. End of.

Top post! For the record, i don't think you won because of the referee.
Congrats and enjoy it!

If you're acting that way, you're not really being the kind of supporter the All Blacks really enjoy the company of.

Honestly I can agree with a lot of this but I don't agree with it all. As a passionate supporter of my country New Zealand I find it hard to believe any AB would care whether I said "We did it", instead of "They did it". Actually I would be a bit shocked and I would think they were a bit up themselves. They are "our national team" representing all people of New Zealand (Not just their mates or themselves).

Last edited:
Stephen Moore - Graciousness epitomised

I might get a tirade from this, as Ritchie is seen as a God in NZ - he can do no wrong....

The ABs are deserved winners - clearly the best team for past 8 years... but I think Stephen Moore showed top form in his very gracious immediate post-match comments.

In the previous matches he also gave generous acknowledgement to the losing teams - England, Wales, Scotland, Argies.

On the flip side, McCaw could not bring himself to mention the opponents at all. No acknowledgement, no thanks. Nuthin....

The interviewer put it on a plate to him, with one question about how the Wallabies came back at them in the second half.....the response was turned around with more self congratulatory stuff about maintaining their composure.

Poor form.....and frankly this is not the first time I've seen him do this....

McCaw is the greater Athlete, but Moore is the greater sportsman.

This thread was supposed to be a NZ gloating thread it didn't even take 1 page to turn it into a lets try and rain on their parade thread...... Lucky we have the World Cup to use as a umbrella:D

Honestly I can agree with a lot of this but I don't agree with it all. As a passionate supporter of my country New Zealand I find it hard to believe any AB would care whether I said "We did it", instead of "They did it". Actually I would be a bit shocked and I would think they were a bit up themselves. They are "our national team" representing all people of New Zealand (Not just their mates or themselves).

My first paragraph is a separate point to the second, one line one. It looks like the run together in making a point, but I meant to say in the second one something more like, "If you're acting arrogantly and dismissively of the opposition, you're not really being the kind of supporter the All Blacks really enjoy the company of". That would've read better and more to the point I was making separately to the first.

I've spoken to All Blacks who've said that supporters are better off trying to make new fans of the opposition with attitudes of graciousness, than trying to rub things in. The AB's themselves don't do it, it's part of their team ethos. You can do what you like, just know that when you rubbish other peoples in the name of the All Blacks, you're helping build an impression of the team, that they didn't do to themselves.

As I said, up to you. Everyone supports in their own way.

- - - Updated - - -

I might get a tirade from this, as Ritchie is seen as a God in NZ - he can do no wrong....

The ABs are deserved winners - clearly the best team for past 8 years... but I think Stephen Moore showed top form in his very gracious immediate post-match comments.

In the previous matches he also gave generous acknowledgement to the losing teams - England, Wales, Scotland, Argies.

On the flip side, McCaw could not bring himself to mention the opponents at all. No acknowledgement, no thanks. Nuthin....

The interviewer put it on a plate to him, with one question about how the Wallabies came back at them in the second half.....the response was turned around with more self congratulatory stuff about maintaining their composure.

Opinion fair enough, not supported with fact though. I've heard McCaw give credit to the Australians for giving them a tough final. Producing some proof of the readily available post match speeches and press conference would be great and would make your case if it exists.

As for your first sentence, it carries no purpose other than to try and dismiss replies that differe to your opinion before they're even written. He's not seen as a god, he can do wrong, people were criticising his foot trip (whether accidental or on purpose) as stupid earlier in the tournament in both media and general public.

Stephen Moore is a fine sportsman and can be very gracious. He is not perfect, as in how he handled the reaction to the Scottish game result, but not everything crosses everyone's mind when they're asked for comment and I hold no lesser opinion of him for it.

Opinion fair enough, not supported with fact though. I've heard McCaw give credit to the Australians for giving them a tough final. Producing some proof of the readily available post match speeches and press conference would be great and would make your case if it exists.

Stephen Moore is a fine sportsman and can be very gracious. He is not perfect, as in how he handled the reaction to the Scottish game result, but not everything crosses everyone's mind when they're asked for comment and I hold no lesser opinion of him for it.

Here is your proof - http://www.3news.co.nz/sport/video-...ugby-world-cup-final-2015110107#axzz3qIMwz575 Word for word

.....and in the post match interview against Scotland game I clearly recall Moore saying Scottish supports should be very proud of their team. Can't find a web link but have the game recorded.

Last edited:
Here is your proof - http://www.3news.co.nz/sport/video-...ugby-world-cup-final-2015110107#axzz3qIMwz575 Word for word

.....and in the post match interview against Scotland game I clearly recall Moore saying Scottish supports should be very proud of their team. Can't find a web link but have the game recorded.

That's not everything McCaw said after the final. It was one interview and the questions solely related to the All Blacks. She stated that there were tries whilst Ben Smith was in the bin and asked if he was anxious and how he/the team felt. The question again related to the All Blacks. If she'd asked a question about the Australian side, I'm sure you'd have seen it answered graciously. Still, he did many interviews after that, some still on the field and a press conference. I've heard him asked the question and he had good things to say about the strength of the Australian challenge. Picking on one interview where he had nothing but elation after winning a world cup and wasn't asked a single question in relation to the Wallabies is a poor example and certainly doesn't cover his sportsmanship at all.

As for Moore, I'm talking about after it came out that the ruling was flat out wrong. He had nothing to say and yet Cheika spoke up saying it should not be mentioned at all. I'm sure had it been the other way around, he would've been happy to talk about it.

I accept the grace that Moore exhibited but McCaw was in no way gloating. I felt his response at the after-match interviews was admirable.

That's not everything McCaw said after the final. It was one interview and the questions solely related to the All Blacks. She stated that there were tries whilst Ben Smith was in the bin and asked if he was anxious and how he/the team felt. The question again related to the All Blacks. If she'd asked a question about the Australian side, I'm sure you'd have seen it answered graciously. Still, he did many interviews after that, some still on the field and a press conference. I've heard him asked the question and he had good things to say about the strength of the Australian challenge. Picking on one interview where he had nothing but elation after winning a world cup and wasn't asked a single question in relation to the Wallabies is a poor example and certainly doesn't cover his sportsmanship at all..

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but the tradition is that the immediate post match interview, when everyone is watching, is when you acknowledge the effort of the other team.......he didn't..and it was in stark contrast to Stephen Moore's gracious comments....and he has form on doing this....

McCaw had just won the world cup, I am sure his mind was elsewhere, have heard him on quite a few occasions pay credit to the opposition, although he hasn't had to give too many "we lost" speeches so he is a bit rusty, whereas Aus on the other hand have got years of practice to get them right :p

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but the tradition is that the immediate post match interview, when everyone is watching, is when you acknowledge the effort of the other team.......he didn't..and it was in stark contrast to Stephen Moore's gracious comments....and he has form on doing this....

I'm probably just as old-fashioned about it. Hence my reaction to AB's fans being arrogant or gloating above. McCaw can't grandstand in an interview. He has to answer the questions he was asked. As soon as he closed his mouth another was being asked. The interviewer perhaps didn't do the job well enough and say "as for Australia, anything to say to them after the game?" (which is nearly always asked - or some variant of it).

As for form for this, I think that's incorrect. You have your opinion, fair enough, but I don't think it'll be shared by many. He's not known for it and I think you're being unfair.

You cant be an Aussie cricket fan then!

I think winning it twice in a row and likely retiring Mccaw doesnt have to be all PC about this win. When you are going to go on and keep playing you have to remain humble but when you've come to the end of your career and put up with a bunch of crap and that chick interviewing everyone was a total ***** id like to point out. I suspect your reading way to much into it.

Cheika's interview was worse than Mccaws but again the ***** was being a ***** so he was semi entitled to be a bit annoyed about answering her dumb questions.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm probably just as old-fashioned about it. Hence my reaction to AB's fans being arrogant or gloating above. McCaw can't grandstand in an interview. He has to answer the questions he was asked. As soon as he closed his mouth another was being asked. The interviewer perhaps didn't do the job well enough and say "as for Australia, anything to say to them after the game?" (which is nearly always asked - or some variant of it).

As for form for this, I think that's incorrect. You have your opinion, fair enough, but I don't think it'll be shared by many. He's not known for it and I think you're being unfair.

Bullcrap Mccaw can say whatever he wants and good on him. I want to state again I thought the Chick interviewing everyone was totally out of line and cringe worthy with some of the questions she was asking Cheika and Moore to their credit they handled it fairly well I thought considering. Same goes for Mccaw.

I'm so happy they won. Honestly, it'd be a bit cr*p had the Wallabies won it as they'd clearly lucked their way through a few of those matches.

I think winning it twice in a row and likely retiring Mccaw doesnt have to be all PC about this win. When you are going to go on and keep playing you have to remain humble but when you've come to the end of your career and put up with a bunch of crap and that chick interviewing everyone was a total ***** id like to point out. I suspect your reading way to much into it.

Cheika's interview was worse than Mccaws but again the ***** was being a ***** so he was semi entitled to be a bit annoyed about answering her dumb questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Bullcrap Mccaw can say whatever he wants and good on him.

I never said he can't say what he wants, of course he can. I'm more stating that he didn't have the opportunity in that interview to interrupt and say anything of his own accord. He would've looked a right idiot shouting her down while she's firing off questions to go all Kanye and get his 2c worth in about Australia being great on the day too.