• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The set plays/scrums/line-outs

U

USArugger

Can anyone give me some help on the set-plays for PS2? Whenever I use them my #10 never passes the ball, runs straight into contact, and I get tackled for a huge loss. I am better off running straight pitches to the forwards or the #10. I guess I just can't figure them out and the manual isn't much help. If anybody can give me a tutorial on the plays I would appreciate it.

Also, is there a trick to winning your opponent's scrums/line-outs? I think I have won a grand total of one in about 50 matches.

there are plenty of set play tutorials posted on this forum, just have a look back at the last 4 or 5 pages and youll find them.

Originally posted by USArugger@Apr 11 2005, 06:10 PM
Can anyone give me some help on the set-plays for PS2? Whenever I use them my #10 never passes the ball, runs straight into contact, and I get tackled for a huge loss. I am better off running straight pitches to the forwards or the #10. I guess I just can't figure them out and the manual isn't much help. If anybody can give me a tutorial on the plays I would appreciate it.

Also, is there a trick to winning your opponent's scrums/line-outs? I think I have won a grand total of one in about 50 matches.
Lineouts, make sure your first jumper has a really high lineout rating. I think Chris Jack steals 90% of lineouts thrown to the first jumper. Of course you have to time it right.

Same with scrums, winning against the head is tricky. Doesn't happen all that often against quality opposition. A trick I've found on offence and defence is to start pushing as soon as you see the ball in the tunnel. Normally you won't get pushed 10m back.

Once you have selected the set play the icon above the scrumhalf's head will flash green (this may take a second or two). When the icon is solid green pass to the fly half, the four button icons will appear above the player’s heads press the button corresponding to the player you want the ball to be passed to.

Using Classic set play on offence and then pressing 'x' when the standoff has it, always lets you break the line, and in my World League even with McCarthy, he usually scores. It works even better with a quality centre.

Thanks.....

For clarification, I pass the ball out to the #10, then all the buttons come up over the backs' heads. At this point (while the #10 has the ball) I should press one of the buttons to make him execute the play and pass to the guy I choose?

Originally posted by USArugger@Apr 12 2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks.....

For clarification, I pass the ball out to the #10, then all the buttons come up over the backs' heads. At this point (while the #10 has the ball) I should press one of the buttons to make him execute the play and pass to the guy I choose?
you got it!

Thanks gents. I am such a dumb-ass. I kept trying the dummy-switch before. I went with classic to the "x" and hit the #15 at pace in a huge gap. After that I grasped the concept. chip kicks, the pivot, beautiful.

I actually won a line-out last night.

Latest posts