• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Stormers thread

Lions matchday 22
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29015
Jaco Taute, Lionel Mapoe, Waylon Murray, Doppies la Grange, Michael Killian, Elton Jantjies, Jano Vermaak, Warren Whiteley, Josh Strauss, Derick Minnie, Franco van der Merwe (capt.), George Earle, Kevin Buys, Bandise Maku, JC Janse van Rensburg.
Reserves: Martin Bezuidenhout, Patric Cilliers, Wikus van Heerden, Cobus Grobbelaar, Rory Kockott, Burton Francis, James Kamana.

Stormers matchday 22
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28995
15. Conrad Jantjes,14. Danie Poolman,13. Jaque Fourie,12. Jean De Villiers,11. Bryan Habana,10. Gary Van Aswegen,9. Ricky Januarie,8. Duane Vermuelen,7. Francois Louw,6. Schalk Burger (C),5. Andries Bekker,4. Rynhardt Elstadt,3. Brok Harris,2. Deon Fourie,1. CJ van Der Linde
Reserves:16. Siyabonga Ntubeni,17. Frans Malherbe,18. De Kock Steenkamp,19. Pieter Louw,20. Dewaldt Duvenage,21. Peter Grant,22. Juan De Jongh

Lions backrow is one for all-out attack. I would expect the Stormers to hold on to the ball more than the Bulls did and along with a tighter defense this should be the Stormers' game to lose as they have more experience and also have the more imposing forward pack even with the loss of Tiaan Liebenberg.

Sorry for going off-topic but I have to laugh at Kockott a little. He wanted to leave the Sharks to get some first squad action after losing his spot to McLeod. Now at the Lions he is second choice behind Vermaak haha. Vermaak indeed

Sorry for going off-topic but I have to laugh at Kockott a little. He wanted to leave the Sharks to get some first squad action after losing his spot to McLeod. Now at the Lions he is second choice behind Vermaak haha. Vermaak indeed

LOL

Yeah, shame, he should wait for the Kings to come on board as he won't be 1st choice at Bulls, Stormers or Cheetahs either unless possibly in the CC when Pretorius goes back to the Griquas. Never liked the guy much and he was never a prospect for the Bokke so not overly fussed. I would play him ahead of Januarie though. Probably.

I would put February ahead of Januarie if I had the possibility haha

I would put February ahead of Januarie if I had the possibility haha

i_find_this_humerus1_RE_Ask_a_Dannyl-s450x600-97841.jpg

I see they selected young Poolman on the wing, don't know much about this lad but he is highly rated and had a blinder last year in the U-21 league apparently.
I really hope and pray that van Aswegen get the back line away and can't wait to see Flo (Francois Louw) in action again - the most complete flanker in SA rugby in my view.
With Andries Bekker back there should be some mettle up front again - he can't get any taller (2,08m) but he get's stronger and stronger each year.
With the preferred centre pairing of de Villiers and Fourie back as well this might be a bigger win over the Lions than expected - fingers crossed

Hi all, this is my first time using the forums but I think I love it already. I too would take February before Januarie any year!

I will be in SA for the next 6 weeks with my new wife and am greatly looking forward to what will be my first live Super Rugby experience: watching the Stormers take on the Cheetahs at Newlands in two weeks! As a big Stormers fan since the days of Skinstad, Fleck and Pieter Rossouw I am obviously hoping the home team will take it to the boys from Free State but I am completely clueless as to the match-day goings on in Cape Town.

I have been to SA numerous times and have lots of family in CT but most are older and not exactly the kind of people to hit the town after a rugby game. Can anyone give me any tips as to where two 20 somethings would go to celebrate a big Stormers win? What time should I show up at the stadium? Are there 'warm-up' parties before the game (here in North America we call it tail-gating, where everyone hangs out in the parking lot braiing and drinking behind their vehicles)? Anything else I should be asking about?

I'm really looking forward to the famous Newlands atmosphere and want to make the most of the experience.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Also, what is up with every Super Rugby table on the internet showing the Stormers with zero games played but four points earned? I know the Lions were bad last year, but let's give them a little credit!

I think you can "tail-gate" braai and drink at one of the school rugby fields close to Newlands, I could be wrong. Apparently Springboks is a nice place with an awesome atmosphere to go to after a game. Also close to Newlands.

Hey Mr Pants.

Yeah, the parking areas (rugbyfields) at one of the nearby schools is the perfect place for tail gating as you call it and then it is a good idea to pitch early to get a spot and get the fire going.

As for afterwards, I haven't been to the hang-outs in Claremont for ages but that is walking distance from the stadium. Otherwise, there is always a good time to be had in either along Long street which has any type of venue you would want (not as big as in Jo-Burg though) or at the waterfront if you like to have more conversation with great beer.

As for teh Stormers being on 4 points the new rules for the comp gives every team on a bye 4 points (so everyone gets 8 points free over the entire competition LOL). So you will see the Force get the 4 and next week the Hurricanes etc.

Stormers Pulled through, but depth must be worrying. On the bench 16, 17...eish and van Aswegan and Poolman still need a Currie Cup. At least Grant was their to save the day 4 The Stormers. Feel sorry 4 Lions though, they have put a lot into the last 2 weeks and only 2 points seems a bit sad. Well Done on the win Stormers! Was a tough one...

Hey thanks Sker and stormers2010, I look forward to using some of your advice!

As for the game today, I thought the cohesiveness of the back-line improved immeasurably once Duvenage and Grant had been subbed in. I guess that would be expected. Van Aswegen does not look fully comfortable at Super Rugby speed yet, hopefully he adjusts and provides some nice depth as the season moves on. Grant looked like a season in Japan acted as a great warm-up for the real season in WP, here's hoping he starts against the Cheetahs.
It was a good match up the field for the boys to secure the victory and nice to see that the defense was able to tighten up and hold on at the end. Maybe next week we will see a full 80mins of solid defense like we saw from the team last year.
Cheers

I was realy worried there, who knew the lions would almost beat the stormers and the bulls. glad the stormers came out on top.
Grant and duvenhage need to start.

The lions were great in that game, i hope they get some wins

The Lions are by far the biggest surprise this season so far. They have the 2 finalists of 2010 in their first 2 matches and score more tries in both matches. Unfortunately the kicking is not that good yet with the young Jantjies. Still, 2 bonus points and 5 tries already in 2 matches. That is more than the Brumbies, Sharks and the Blues to name a few

Yip, If Jantjes didn't miss two at the poles the result would have gone the other way. Same against the Bulls. I'm not surprised though, the Lions beat us in the CC last year and showed massive improvement right through the year and I felt that it would continue into the Super season. Blues better not underestimate the Lions or they will come off second best in Jo'burg next week.

As for the Stormers... I guess it was a continuation of their pre-season form; winning games they shouldn't. Glad for the result but the Lions played better rugby and we need to step up if we want to continue playing alongside the big boys. Our 1st game so a bit of rust is understandable but we made sooo many unforced errors, were horrible at both scrum and line-out and looked a bit blunt in attack (not helped by Januarie taking a breather every time before passing). Depth was always going to be a concern for us. Aplon will be back and I'm not so worried about the backs (except their form) but in the forwards we could struggle if we pick up more injuries.

I thought the Lions were good last year, their only problem was consistency. This year they've carried on with their ability to match it with the top teams. Im not surprised at all with how they are going so far.

Hi Guys , Been a long sabbatical for me the last few months but I am happy to be back in the swing of things , my 2 cents or maybe 200 cents re the Stormers game

After much waiting the Stormers finally got their campaign going with the very last game of week 2 !!!! First off who at WP union agreed to this crap schedule ?? OMG why why could we not have played the game earlier first ? I am sure the guys wanted to get going after our Bye last week.

Now to the game , boy was I bitterly dissapointed , not the result but the manner how we played. We had firstly too many greenies for a debut game and one in a very importatnt position !! Here is a rundown of how I saw it.

15 - Janjies seems to have lost a yard and it seems as if the horrific injury suffered left just as much mental scars as physical. He offers little to nothing currently.
14 - Poolman ?? Just Who is this kid ? Talented in some games for club maybe but found wanting very wanting at S15. Cant hardly blame him though , he was thrown to the wolves , Why coul d they not play De Jongh as well on the wing ?? Or where is JJ ?
13 - The self proclaimed worlds greatest centre was okay , nothing great but he did some ok things
12 - Like Fourie he was okay , thought De Jongh looked much better when he came on though for Fourie
11 - Honestly seriously Habana can gerus eff off now , he offers niks , nothing. I am gatvol of him playing on rep , just like last year he seems to hold back and someone needs to tell hom that he is here to do a job , not loaf !!!!!
10 - Why why why not Edgar Watts ? Van Aswagen is simply out of his debth at this stage. Edgar Watts looked better than him in the warm up games anyways , The diffs when grant came on was HUGE !! Dear God , please look after Peter Grant otherwise we wont even make the playoffs which at this stage already looks like a reality.
9 - RICKY !!! Jassis , how many lives does this oke have ? How can you pair a rookie scrummie with the worlds slowest scrummie who cannot pass to his right ? Ricky was always valued for his in your face play above the traditional scrummie strenth but now he has lost as well and its a case of he does something special so once in a while to win us that game !! The thing is that once in a while now comes every 6 games only !! We will never be champs if we think like that !! The diffs between us and the crusaders and Bulls of this world , we hope to win , they plan to win. Ricky is just plain *** and I would like to know the wisdom behind picking him ??
8 - Vermuelan is another who was a pedestrian the weekend , he has lost ground as the premeir loosie hardman to the likes of William Alberts and even Ashley Johnson. Wheere is Kid Koster ? When will he be ready ? Seems an aweful long time that he is being developed ? I would have the kid on the bench
7 - Fransouw Louw also continued where he left off last year , ie in poor form.
6 - Cappie , always been my favourite player no matter what but he offered little on the day , I hope teh injury is not too bad
5 - Bekker was One of the few players who showed grunt and liss for teh game , personally my man of the match for the home team
4 - Elstad I actually liked this laaitie a lot , think he showed great hunger and skill , I dont think he is a lock though , def not an enforcer type and I dont think he should ever play alongside Bekker. I would actually play him more at 7 than 4
3 - Erm.....jy is a prop !! Not a centre !! Thats why you so tired at the end and give away penalties
2 - Fourie please please paractice your lineouts , your general play was good , very good but you have the tallest lock in the world playing with you and you missing him consistently , never mind that all three your loosies are jumpers as well.
1 - Ai toggie , what did I say last year ? I DONT SEE the fuss re CJ , he cannot I repeat CANNOT scrum , never was an imposing prop and will never be !!

Reserves - both Grant and Duvenhage did more in the short time when they came on than the people they replaced did the whole game !! Unsung hero Pieter Louw is another that did well , as well as De Jongh. I did not notice the rest if they came on.

Coaching staff really really erred in their selection ! Also we had no gameplan ? It was like we just hoped the other team lost ? a 4/10 at best !

Lastly the ref was utter crap , how can you yellow card a team for repeat infringments in the 20 min of teh first half ?? That was very strict but I thought okay at the time I guess the Lions will also get a yellow for their crap play , yet they were warned officially twice !! They got 2 last warnings !! And between the first last warning and the second I counted at least 4 penalties for the same repeat infringment !! I blame the cappie here actually , he should have highlighted that and questioned it.

Oh and while I am about Refs how bad was Kaplan in the Rebels game ? Forward pass tries and silly penalties that won the game for the Rebels.

Hi Guys , Been a long sabbatical for me the last few months but I am happy to be back in the swing of things , my 2 cents or maybe 200 cents re the Stormers game

After much waiting the Stormers finally got their campaign going with the very last game of week 2 !!!! First off who at WP union agreed to this crap schedule ?? OMG why why could we not have played the game earlier first ? I am sure the guys wanted to get going after our Bye last week.

Now to the game , boy was I bitterly dissapointed , not the result but the manner how we played. We had firstly too many greenies for a debut game and one in a very importatnt position !! Here is a rundown of how I saw it.

15 - Janjies seems to have lost a yard and it seems as if the horrific injury suffered left just as much mental scars as physical. He offers little to nothing currently.

I'm inclined to agree but I think he also had a bit of an off day. Still, I'd prefer him over Aplon at 15 for tight games and bad weather as he is a little more solid under the ball and most importantly has a booming boot where Aplon has no boot whatsoever but is the man you want to attack space from deep. Aplon is still a week or two away from coming back into contention so there really isn't antone else (man, I miss Pietersen).

14 - Poolman ?? Just Who is this kid ? Talented in some games for club maybe but found wanting very wanting at S15. Cant hardly blame him though , he was thrown to the wolves , Why coul d they not play De Jongh as well on the wing ?? Or where is JJ ?

Again, with Aplon out there is only Engelbrecht or one of our centres on the wing. The last worked in the CC but I wouldn't try it in Super rugby unless absolutely necessary. Engelbrecht was the better option IMO as well but I'm sure the coaching staff know better with the info they have where fans are afforded only so much to base opinions on.

13 - The self proclaimed worlds greatest centre was okay , nothing great but he did some ok things

Yeah, I was a bit dissapointed with Fourie and the backline in general but I blame the slow ball (Januarie/Van Aswegen) and a very spirited flat defense. Defended well and did well to cross the advantage line where other wouldn't have with the shitty ball he got.

12 - Like Fourie he was okay , thought De Jongh looked much better when he came on though for Fourie

I'd either play a combination of JdJ and JF or JdV and JdJ and not JdV and JF as they are too similar. JdJ is the form centre IMO and needs to start as he has more penetration and speed.

11 - Honestly seriously Habana can gerus eff off now , he offers niks , nothing. I am gatvol of him playing on rep , just like last year he seems to hold back and someone needs to tell hom that he is here to do a job , not loaf !!!!!

Agree wholeheartedly. The best thing for Habana is a spell on the sidelines. He looks over eager every time the ball comes near him and he makes rookie mistakes and places his team under pressure.

10 - Why why why not Edgar Watts ? Van Aswagen is simply out of his debth at this stage. Edgar Watts looked better than him in the warm up games anyways , The diffs when grant came on was HUGE !! Dear God , please look after Peter Grant otherwise we wont even make the playoffs which at this stage already looks like a reality.

I'd say he looked better than Watts in the pre-season. To be fair he did allright for a first game especially Januarie inside him. I'd have liked to see him play outside Duvenhage more to be able to compare apples with apples as, yeah, the last stretch with Duvenhage and Grant looked much more promising.

9 - RICKY !!! Jassis , how many lives does this oke have ? How can you pair a rookie scrummie with the worlds slowest scrummie who cannot pass to his right ? Ricky was always valued for his in your face play above the traditional scrummie strenth but now he has lost as well and its a case of he does something special so once in a while to win us that game !! The thing is that once in a while now comes every 6 games only !! We will never be champs if we think like that !! The diffs between us and the crusaders and Bulls of this world , we hope to win , they plan to win. Ricky is just plain *** and I would like to know the wisdom behind picking him ??

I think Januarie only started because Duvenhage had an injury scare. Lets hope Januarie doesn't see himself on the field again. We are screwed if we lose Dvenhage.

8 - Vermuelan is another who was a pedestrian the weekend , he has lost ground as the premeir loosie hardman to the likes of William Alberts and even Ashley Johnson. Wheere is Kid Koster ? When will he be ready ? Seems an aweful long time that he is being developed ? I would have the kid on the bench

This was not the type of game for Vermeulen. To fast and too wide. I'd still like him on my team though. I think Koster is behind Elstadt, both Louw's and Siya Kolisi in the pecking order. It would be interesting to see him brought up but first in the CC.

7 - Fransouw Louw also continued where he left off last year , ie in poor form.

Horrendous form, yes, he got picked for the bokke, played very badly and then brought that back to the Stormers. Maybe its a confidence thing as he didn't play this badly before being picked.

6 - Cappie , always been my favourite player no matter what but he offered little on the day , I hope teh injury is not too bad

We need him if only fo his attitude.

5 - Bekker was One of the few players who showed grunt and liss for teh game , personally my man of the match for the home team

Good to see Bekker back and I'm glad he looks like he missed playing rugby. Lets hope he keeps injury free and gets more chance. Line-outs were a shambles though and he needs to take responsibility.

4 - Elstad I actually liked this laaitie a lot , think he showed great hunger and skill , I dont think he is a lock though , def not an enforcer type and I dont think he should ever play alongside Bekker. I would actually play him more at 7 than 4

Do you know where Anton van Zyl is? Elstadt looks like a good prospect but they need to pick a position for him and then let him specialize IMO. Fondse a better fit at this stage.

3 - Erm.....jy is a prop !! Not a centre !! Thats why you so tired at the end and give away penalties

That was a pretty fast paced game and I thought he did well.

2 - Fourie please please paractice your lineouts , your general play was good , very good but you have the tallest lock in the world playing with you and you missing him consistently , never mind that all three your loosies are jumpers as well.

Yes, his throwing was very low and we are missing Liebenberg big time. Fourie is a great impact player with his bustling pace for a hooker but he lacks the grunt and basics required to start.

1 - Ai toggie , what did I say last year ? I DONT SEE the fuss re CJ , he cannot I repeat CANNOT scrum , never was an imposing prop and will never be !!

Great bench option but I agree. We saw time and time again in the internationals he played in that he is not a good scrummager.

Reserves - both Grant and Duvenhage did more in the short time when they came on than the people they replaced did the whole game !! Unsung hero Pieter Louw is another that did well , as well as De Jongh. I did not notice the rest if they came on.

Coaching staff really really erred in their selection ! Also we had no gameplan ? It was like we just hoped the other team lost ? a 4/10 at best !

Lastly the ref was utter crap , how can you yellow card a team for repeat infringments in the 20 min of teh first half ?? That was very strict but I thought okay at the time I guess the Lions will also get a yellow for their crap play , yet they were warned officially twice !! They got 2 last warnings !! And between the first last warning and the second I counted at least 4 penalties for the same repeat infringment !! I blame the cappie here actually , he should have highlighted that and questioned it.

Yeah, the Lions also were offside for large parts of the game and were allowed to seal the ball in the ruck but you are going to get those types of games and the players need to learn to adapt to the game.

Oh and while I am about Refs how bad was Kaplan in the Rebels game ? Forward pass tries and silly penalties that won the game for the Rebels

Liebenberg is definitely our biggest loss at the moment, he is one of the most if not the best consistent performing hookers when fully fit in SA IMO.I definitely rate him amongst the top 3 hookers in SA along with Bismarck and Gary Botha.

Great to hear that Aplon will be back soon and that Burger's injury isn't that bad as 1st thought, luckily the Stormers have Bekker that can be the forwards captain and JDV at the back.

Latest posts