• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

I've seen people say that streetlamps have enough juice in them to run EV chargers and with a lot of them using LED bulbs these days (and therefore requiring a lot less power) these could be converted, not sure if that's an actual viable option or just pie in the sky thinking
Surely they're on the national grid, so a conversion should be simple enough; but... cost x however millions.
Good idea, but a hell of a headache - especially as EVs are only supposed to be an interim measure.

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen - someone tripping over a cable and breaking a hip

I've seen people say that streetlamps have enough juice in them to run EV chargers and with a lot of them using LED bulbs these days (and therefore requiring a lot less power) these could be converted, not sure if that's an actual viable option or just pie in the sky thinking
I doubt it, unless at maybe a very low charge.

Only 97,000 in 7 counties?
Whilst nice what is really needed is bringing up the lower speeds and bringing down the costs. I'm on 200MB/s and that's only because of a deal, I pay for 100MB/s. No way I'd pay for anything above that as it's excessive and expensive.

Whilst nice what is really needed is bringing up the lower speeds and bringing down the costs. I'm on 200MB/s and that's only because of a deal, I pay for 100MB/s. No way I'd pay for anything above that as it's excessive and expensive.
500 Mb/s upload and download with community fibre for £20pm via Uswitch. I couldn't turn it down and VM couldn't and wouldn't match it. Engineer said I should go for 1Gb/s for a fiver more per month, which most peeps do. It's the upload speeds which are are a big bonus, plus it's fibre to the home - cable runs from a telephone pole opposite all the way to the house. VM's upload speeds are shite - roughly 10% of download speeds plus its FTTC. Once you go faster and cheaper it's hard to go back.

I doubt I will ever go back to VM especially with how bad the experience getting out of the contract, They deducted £23 from my bank account last month even though my contract ended 10 December, last year and I had to pay for the 30 day notice period. Bloody cheek! And I am £51 in credit. Still waiting for that to hit my bank account.

500 Mb/s upload and download with community fibre for £20pm via Uswitch. I couldn't turn it down and VM couldn't and wouldn't match it. Engineer said I should go for 1Gb/s for a fiver more per month, which most peeps do. It's the upload speeds which are are a big bonus, plus it's fibre to the home - cable runs from a telephone pole opposite all the way to the house. VM's upload speeds are shite - roughly 10% of download speeds plus its FTTC. Once you go faster and cheaper it's hard to go back.

I doubt I will ever go back to VM especially with how bad the experience getting out of the contract, They deducted £23 from my bank account last month even though my contract ended 10 December, last year and I had to pay for the 30 day notice period. Bloody cheek! And I am £51 in credit. Still waiting for that to hit my bank account.
Unfortunately I can't get any speeds on Uswitch even coming close to what I currently have at a similar price.

Unfortunately I can't get any speeds on Uswitch even coming close to what I currently have at a similar price.
Yep, this unfortunately comes down to where you live. VM are good, i was with them for 11 years, but like every tech provider/bank account, unless you have another option they just take the **** with their loyal customers because they are too busy trying to attract new customers.

London have started doing lamp post charging. You pay for a cable - £200 - 300. Then get a card where you prepay or similar.

I wonder how many of those cables get nicked?

Not surprising really. EU look like they are going to investigate. I am locked into their ecosystem. Did try Google pixel a few years ago but didn't really use it.
liked my older pixels compared to the one I have now - not so enamoured with the pixel 6.

Would never buy an apple product. They don't justify their price tag and your always locked in.

No real geek would have one - only people that think they are! :D

I love my MacBook Pro (paid for by work: no way I'd pay that much for a personal one) but never been tempted by an iPhone

Definitely a bit jealous of the apple watch though, pixel watches are absolutely fulgly

Latest posts